Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Q. on what guidebook to use and availability
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bauhaus

May 16, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Q. on what guidebook to use and availability  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello all,

I'm travelling out east from the Canadian Rockies and wondering about what guidebook to use for the routes around Rumney? rc.com suggests Ward Smith's A rock climbing guide to Rumney (The New England rockfax series) but the only one I can find listed on amazon was published 1996 and out of print. Is there a newer one available? I did check out the newenglandbouldering.com site but they aren't carrying Smith's book either.

Looking forward to climbing in the USA! :)

clippedclimbing

May 16, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Re: Q. on what guidebook to use and availability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can order them from 802-985-5055, it is a retail store called Climb High. I just called them and they are out but have some on order, they will ship it to you. Also, while in the north east, check out cathedral and whitehorse, very worthy. You can always PM me for more info and maybe some climbing. I am in Burlington. Good luck.

shiva523

May 16, 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Ward Smith's "Rumney" guide, which is different than A rock climbing guide to Rumney, New England rockfax series . My book is a 2001 edition and can be picked up at any EMS store. It has excellent maps and extensive information on the routes.

http://www.ems.com/...!174391831!7005!8005

Partner gunksgoer

May 16, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heres the link to it on ems' site
http://www.ems.com/...&bmUID=1116276009671

have a good time, theres lotsa fun stuff there.

mrksprague

May 17, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ward's newest book is by far the best. You may be able to pick it up at the village store in Rumney if you haven't found it before. There has been a fair amount of new routing and retroing so you will want to ask around about new routes once you get here, but the guide will get you to all the crags and the vast majority of the climbs. I have entered some info here in the route descriptions, but beware some of the stuff listed here is inaccurate.

Ward is working on a new edition, but it will most likely be at least a year before it comes out.

Ask around. The areas with the most changes are the Meadows/Parking Lot Wall. The G Spot is a crag not mentioned in the book, but it is a pile anyway and doesn't warrant checking out if you are just visiting.

Parking tip: While visiting please park as efficiently as possible as there is a premium on space, and do not park along the road even if all your wheels are off the pavement. Save the area around the kiosk in the small parking lot for people who are willing to double and triple up their cars.

Mark

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook