RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner kimgraves

May 13, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #1 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Q: Half Dome Cable’s Route
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Gang,

A non-climbing question:

My stepdaughter is graduating from Berkeley grad school next week. She wants to go to Yosemite before moving to Chicago where she has a job. We were thinking of doing the Cable’s route up the backside of half dome. Any beta? We hear you really should start at dawn and that it’s a Very long day. Also, there are two ways up/down: one very steep the other more gradual. Can anyone tell me the names of the trails? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Best, Kim

csproul

May 13, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #2 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Re: Q: Half Dome Cable’s Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think the boards and posts have been put up yet, so this means the cables are probably just laying flat against the rock, meaning you just hand over hand it up and down. I'm also guessing there is some snow still up there. My preference is to take the trail above the falls (don't remember the name of the trail, Vernal?) on the way up and take the trail below the falls (Mist?) on the way down, but you could just as easily do it the other way around. The Mist trail is like being in a rain forrest. It is a full 8 hr day for most.

caughtinside

May 13, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #3 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a long day. I've done the last part in the dark both times I've come down. Bring a headlamp. Fortunately, it's a big trail, easy to stay on.

Also, the last bit of the trail is scheduled for work this summer, and will be closed M-F. The Yosemite NPS website has detailed info on the closure.

jpxc

May 16, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #4 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the cables tend to not go up until late May. it is about 18 miles round trip and climbs nearly a mile in elevation. the descent isnt any easier. call the park info number at 209-372-0265 to see if the cables are up yet. they can fill you in

scuclimber

May 16, 2005, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Mist Trail is very cool, both literally and figuratively. It's certainly a more interesting trail than the JMT/Clark Point Variation, but unless it's a hot day, I wouldn't take it. It really is very misty in the spring/early summer. If it's not sunny and above about 75-80 degrees, you'll probably be a little chilled down in the misty canyon. Just a bit of advice. I'm sure others might disagree with me.

peroxide

May 16, 2005, 3:58 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend the following plan:

1) Pack a water filter
2) Pack headlamps and extra batteries
3) Start hiking an hour and a half before sunrise (easiest and least scenic part is the sandy beginning stretch) with headlamps. the trail is easy to follow.
4) When going up the cables MAKE SURE to grap some gardening gloves. There is a huge pile at the base of the cables route.
5) There is really no water once you leave the river. THere a few muddy holes here and there but their quality is questionable. Hike light, fill up at the river, and stay hydrated with little gulps the whole way.
6) Aim for the summit around 1 to 2pm
7) Look over the edge in awe.
8) descend. Soak feet in river, fill up bottles, and giggle all the way down.

Have fun...you and her will love it!

Partner climbinginchico

May 16, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually do the Half Dome Hike about 4-5 times a summer. The way I do it is to wait for a full moon and then leave at midnight or so. With no clouds, it's fairly easy to get by using minimal headlamps. Actually, a friend and I were able to do it a couple times not even turning on our headlamps at all. Take the Muir trail on the way up, and the mist on the way down. You don't want to be wet when walking up, especially if you do go at night.

Take plenty of water. I usually take a camelbak with 2 bladders for 200 oz of water, and if it's warm I will fill up at the spring past the river. If you don't know exactly where the spring is, fill up at the river with a purifier. Make sure you take enough food too, it is a long hike, roughly 16 miles on trail or so.

My buddy and I normally get crazy when we go and take way too much crap up. We go faster when it's just the 2 of us than when we're leading a church youth group up or something. One time we took his stove up, had espresso at the top of the falls, cream of chicken soup, ramen, and hot chocolate and more espresso at the top. But, admittedly, that was a bit overboard. It was nice to warm up, it get's cold on top before the sunrise.

And believe me, sunrise from the top of HD is something to be experienced. Absolutely spectacular. On the right day it comes up directly above Cathedral Peak.

bandycoot

May 16, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two ways to go up the HD trail. The John Muir Trail branches off and is longer but less steep and avoids one of the waterfalls by skipping the Mist Trail. This year with all of the rainfall, the mist trail will get you SOAKED as it lives up to its name. If you go this way (steeper shortcut that cuts off about a mile) bring rain gear and wear synthetics to dry quickly.

I would say bring your own gloves for the ascent and descent of the actual cables. It's possible the park service removes the gloves while the cables are down.

slobmonster

May 16, 2005, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no beta, but here's a link to a TR from last week:
http://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=16
If it brings you to the forum's fronmt page, search for "Half Dome Trip Report 5/14"

bandycoot

May 16, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #10 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yosemite is closed! :shock:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=72639&f=0&b=0

Partner kimgraves

May 16, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #11 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
no beta, but here's a link to a TR from last week:
http://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=16
If it brings you to the forum's fronmt page, search for "Half Dome Trip Report 5/14"

Love it!!!!! But I think my step daughter is going to freak.

Best, Kim

davidji

May 16, 2005, 6:40 PM
Post #12 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We were thinking of doing the Cable’s route up the backside of half dome. Any beta?
Has she ever climbed? Is she afraid of heights?

Lots of non-climbers get gripped on the cable route when the cables are up. A non-climber may not enjoy it much at all if the cables were down. My only other advice is save 10 or 20 miles on the hike and take the Mist Trail both ways. Check a trail map for true savings; Feels like alot.

Last weekend the river was higher and the waterfalls stronger than I've ever seen them. And of course the valley is flooded now. Anyway be prepared to get misted on the mist trail.

Partner kimgraves

May 16, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #13 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yosemite is closed! :shock:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=72639&f=0&b=0

Now that's really "shock and awe!"

I guess we'll stay in San Francisco and eat.

Partner phaedrus

May 16, 2005, 8:04 PM
Post #14 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

carrotclimber

May 16, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #15 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did this hike about a year and a half ago. I didn't have the same experience at the falls because I went at the end of September when the falls were a trickle compared to how they probably are now. I took the steeper and shorter mist trail up, and took the longer, switchback horse trail (not sure the name) down. Several things to note:

1.) I was in great shape, hiked all summer to prepare (let me add the caveat that my preparation/training/whatever was in Missouri, where you can't really simulate the altitude)... and it was still a sunrise to after sunset day. Be sure to take a light source just to be sure. A headlamp is ideal. I was with a group of 6 though, so that surely slowed us down a bit.
2.) I definately second the water filter or some sort of back up on that (at least purifying tablets if you don't have a pump). I ran out of water on the summit and had a larger hydration pack (3 liters) and a nalgene.
3.) The cables are incredibly scary, even for some climbers. I was not climbing at that point, but I had never felt so close to death before in my life. I grabbed some gloves from the pile at the bottom of the cables and made it about 1/2 way up... slightly nervous but also excited to see the top... then slipped and almost fell to my doom. I turned around after that (so did most of the people below, that saw me slip)... sadly missing the topout.... but too shaken to trust myself to continue... one of the true tragedies of my life. I vow to go back and do it again, and one day actually do a big wall climb in Yosemite. I am thankful that my slip didn't end in my ultimate end, but I have a lot of shame that I didn't make it to the top... :oops:

I am not sure what kind of shape she is in, but I would recommend not just doing a lot of hiking beforehand, but also having her do some arm weights for climbing the cables. None of us struggled, but I have known people that don't have much upper body strength putting that into their rountine prior to the hike just to build some confidence.

It is simply amazing. Everyone should do it at least once in their life... and probably will more than once after experiencing it the first time. I hope that she enjoys it!

davidji

May 16, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #16 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3.) The cables are incredibly scary, even for some climbers.
You're making it sound worse than it is.

You weren't a climber at all then. It's hard to imagine a climber being scared on the cable route.

Most of the huge crowds on the cable route are non-climbers. Most go up & down. Some are nervous. A few freeze up in fear. Some don't go to the top. Everyone is different.

asandh

May 16, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #17 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

carrotclimber

May 16, 2005, 9:12 PM
Post #18 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True... in that type of situation people are definately impacted by those around them... I feel horrible that some people turned around after witnessing my slipping. Consequentally, as asandh said... crowd behavior... you can be psyched out by those around you, or your courage can be elevated by those around you. I agree, for the most part it is a mental thing. But I WAS mentally prepared and felt confident when I headed up the cables. I am not trying to make them sound undoable at all... it is something I would recommend to anyone... but it does have more risk and less protection than a lot of climbing does. And davidji, you are correct, I wasn't a climber then and would probably have a lot more confidence now after getting into climbing, even after my previous experience... but it seemed to me that the person seeking to do this hike was not a climber, so I was trying to give some balanced advice. I was cocky and confident and probably didn't take as much care as I should have, since I saw people breezing up it.

bosterson

May 16, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #19 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My only other advice is save 10 or 20 miles on the hike and take the Mist Trail both ways. Check a trail map for true savings; Feels like alot.

20 miles is more than the entire hike round trip. (It's a little over 8 miles each way, ~16.5 miles total, with around 4500 feet of elevation gain, I'd guess.) I know you were being hyperbolic, but honestly, the Mist Trail is at most 2/3 of a mile shorter, and I would guess it's much less than that. Furthermore, the Mist Trail is much steeper, so it's a trade off. I personally like the Mist Trail (because it's fun to hike on the edge of a "cliff"), but due to all the flooding, I would expect that it'd be quite wet. So you may want to plan to take some rainwear, due it in the daytime (if you think you might be returning in the dark) so that you can see your feet better, or skip it. The other path is perfectly nice, too, and it has less steps to kill your knees with!

Nothing much else to add that other people haven't already said. If you're hiking it from the Valley, just be prepared for a very long, hard day (but that's what makes it fun).

bosterson

May 16, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #20 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
3.) The cables are incredibly scary, even for some climbers.
You're making it sound worse than it is.

Yeah, they're really not that bad. I am somewhat afraid of heights (I won't go near the edge on top of Half Dome), but the cable ladder is a cakewalk. In fact, the real danger up there is from the insane crowds you can run into on it, not from the ladder itself. The trick to it is not to pretend to be walking up the side of a building on a rope, but rather to use the cable to get between different stances - the boards between the pegs, little ledges in the rock, etc. I actually prefer to go up on the outside of the left cable, as the rock is less polished (the rock between the cables is like glass sometimes). Of course, last time I went up, some little 8 year old kid told me I was going to die, so there you go.

Partner kimgraves

May 16, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #21 of 21 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some incredible pictures of the flood from the NPS. The Valley is closed. Someone said that they're hoping to be open for July 4th!

Best, Kim

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook