RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

karina

May 18, 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

smelly shoes remedies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm thinking I should have a pair of my shoes resoled. Up till now I've just gone out and bought new ones.
So the problem of worn out edges will be resovled with a brand new coat of rubber...but what about the smell???
The beauty of new shoes is that new shoe smell. But when you get old shoes resoled, you continue on in the same stinky shoes, and right now mine could knock out a moose at 50 paces.
So I'm looking for suggestions for home remedies for stinky shoes.
K.

ckirkwood9

May 18, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #2 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Re: smelly shoes remedies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I keep a can of disinfectant spray (such as lysol or the local supermarket brand) in my car and spray my shoes after EVERY day of climbing. I've had my pair of La Sportiva Mythos climbing shoes resoled TWICE and the shoes have little if no smell at all.

note: don't keep it in your bag with your gear because one day you'll find your gear all soaked in lysol whether it's due to the spray trigger accidentally being depressed in your bag or due to leaving your bag in your car and the can ruptures. And who knows the affect of Lysol on your rope, harness or hardware....

kimmyt

May 18, 2005, 5:35 PM
Post #3 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not so much of a remedy, but when I'm travelling with a carryon and my shoes are going to be residing in the same plane cabin as me and other living, smelling human beings are, i like to tuck some scented dryer sheets into each shoe. It doesn't so much take away the smell, as mask it a bit for the time being. And that way the rest of the passengers don't decide to throw me down with the baggage.

K.

skinnyclimber

May 18, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A girlfriend of mine showed me this: Use some stuff called "dusting powder". Its kinda like baby powder but with less of the stuff in it that some people have allergies to. Anyway, I sprinkle a bit of this on my shoes every week or so and they smell all fresh and clean. It also keeps your feet from getting athletes foot too be cause it keeps them dry.

Note, you will have to go to one of those girly body products stores to find this stuff, so it may not be for everyone.

Enjoy,

Skinny

Partner climboard

May 18, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried powders, sprays, sticking them in the freezer, etc. Although these work in the short term the best solution I've found is to not let them get stinky in the first place. I've managed to do this by airing them out after I climb and I never stick them in a bag as this encourages bacterial growth.

ckirkwood9

May 18, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #6 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yea... forgot to mention that; along with spraying with Lysol, i NEVER store my shoes in my bag. i just use an accessory biner and clip them to my pack.

I climb at least 3 times nights a week in a gym for around 3 hours a night - and no stink.

Partner tyify

May 19, 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #7 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

tyify moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tyify moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

salamanizer

May 21, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #8 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try washing them!

Just chuck them in the washing machine every couple weeks. It wont hurt them. Their climbing shoes, not glass slippers.

acrophobic

May 21, 2005, 9:32 AM
Post #9 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Febreeze

tijl

May 21, 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #10 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there really exists a remedy for the smell. The smell is something you've to live with. Surely if you should have my feet :wink: But I use Daktarin Spray to prevent my shoes from becoming a bacterial H-bomb and in fact that's the only important thing.
Tijl

gunked

May 22, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #11 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There IS a remedy for the worst smelling shoes:

Slackline Joe was testing a product out last year. And...it worked on my nasty-a$$ shoes. I'm not gonna go into descritpion on how bad they were. Suffice it to say that they're 10-year-old shoes and my ex-girlfriend wouldn't let me keep them in the house.

Don't know if he ever retailed them, but you can check out slackline bros. website and see.

Good luck,
-Jason :D

norushnomore

May 24, 2005, 7:48 AM
Post #12 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try wearing socks. Really.

The trick is to have a right kind: very thin, polyester but with some cotton for a friction (don't buy running or biking socks or unti-blister hiking inner socks, they are too slippery)

andrewph

May 24, 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #13 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Try washing them!

Just chuck them in the washing machine. It wont hurt them. Their climbing shoes, not glass slippers.

Seriously just wash em. It gets rid of the smell cleans the rubber right up so its nice and sticky and it tightens them up a bit! ( this may or may not be a good thing).

The biggest worry I would have with washing is it might seperate the rubber from the shoe. But if they are gonna be resoled anyway then thats not even an issue.

Oh also if you think they smell now wait till you heat them up to put that new rubber on. that heat increases the smell 100 times over!

Andy

rock_101

May 24, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #14 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LEMON JUICE!!!

My mom showed me this for my ski boot insoles(they stink much worse).

rub on lemon juice to through the whole shoe or try a mixture lately i've been usign lemo n and lime jucie that come in those little plastic bottles shaped like fruits.

kman

May 24, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #15 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socks :roll:

Seriously though...use Dr Scholl's Odour Destroyer Shoe Shot. This stuff is the shizznit. All that other crap only works for a very very short term. I used it over a month ago and there is still no smell in my shoes and I have been climbing alot with them. Spray a shot in each shoe and shake out the extra powder. I thought it would get gooey but it hasn't at all.

Also, do not keep you shoes in your bag. Let them hang off of a biner outside you pack.

jakewolf

May 24, 2005, 4:00 PM
Post #16 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tried it all, but I will say that prevention is best. Throw a couple wet naps or baby wipes in a zip lock and wipe off you feet before you put them on. If you already have smelly shoes I can tell you what worked for me. My old boreal ballets have had 8 resoles and the stink. Before each resole I take out what is left of the laces and I wash them in the sink with spray n wash and a tooth brush and let them dry outside for a few days. Always keep them out of your pack. I have never heard of lemon juice, but it sounds good- I am a bartender and I can tell you a trick with lemon- all the aroma of citrus is in the rind, not the fruit. Try cutting the lemon into slices and removing the fruit, then twist the rind in order to break it. The citrus comes out of the out side of the rind. good luck

ontherocks

May 24, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #17 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried everything (socks, deodorant, Lysol and so), and this is what seems to work for me:

- Take the shoes off from time to time. While in the gym, bring sandals and take your shoes off while you belay or rest. Outside, look for comfortable shoes and take them off while in the ground. Also, don't pack your shoes, keep them hanging from a biner out of your pack. Bacteria doesn't like oxygen.

- Use leather shoes, synthetic uppers don't transpire well and get smelly (no solution here).

I have a pair of Mythos that I resoled 3 or 4 times and have no smell, just by taking them off from time to time.

kman

May 24, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #18 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I tried everything (socks, deodorant, Lysol and so), and this is what seems to work for me:

- Take the shoes off from time to time. While in the gym, bring sandals and take your shoes off while you belay or rest.

I have a pair of Mythos that I resoled 3 or 4 times and have no smell, just by taking them off from time to time.

You must be genetically gifted. Some people just have rank feet...apparantly you are not one of them. I practice the above advice and it does not work...the smell will eventually catch up.

Dr SCHOLL'S ODOUR DERSTROYER SHOE SHOT WORKS!!!
The shit is magic I say....MAGIC. No scrubbing, no cleaning, no hassle. Just spray the shit in shake out the excess and your done.

ontherocks

May 24, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #19 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You must be genetically gifted

Maybe. The advice doesn't work for synthetic, and if you take your feet out of a smelling approach shoe into your climbing shoe, then you are transferring the bacteria and the smell.

maxter

May 24, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #20 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wash your shoes in glycerine. It works and the smell do not return. Leaves the rubber clean and the leather supple. Rinse lightly in distilled water.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook