RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

uzziah

May 18, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1612 views)
Shortcut

shoes that run wide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

any other extremely wide-footed climbers in the room?

i wear new balance 4E (yes; that's quadrouple E, and btw: buy them at shoebuys.com......off topic), and their STILL a tad snug. you can imagine what i go through with climbing shoes. the best option i've found are lace-ups that go all-the way to the end of the toe-my first pair of shoes-five ten spires were like this. allows me to loosen the laces at the end where it matters. i'd buy another pair, but they are not very performance-oriented.

i rarely climb sport, and if i do i'm not trying to push the grades really. i climb trad pretty much exclusively

i want a shoe that is comfortable for a full day in the flatirons (boulder, co), but will also provide me with a bit of edging-performance for more technical ventures.

so i ask: wide-footed friends: can you point me in the right direction? which brands/models should i try on?

gat

May 18, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Re: shoes that run wide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I also wear NB 4E trail/road running shoes, although they aren't snug.

For a long time I also used the Spires as my shoe of choice for the same reason and use pattern - comfy all day trad. Once they stretched out in width they were crazy comfy, but not at all performance oriented. One reason is the stretch in width caused my upper to overlap my edges, causing an obvious drain on edging capability.

The solution...Evolv shoes. No (or insignificant) stretch.

I used the Evolv Quest last year and loved the fit. I just picked up the Evolv Bandit and the fit/feel is the best I have experienced thus far - I absolutely love them. And they were only $99 !!! Awesome shoe for an awesome price. My buddy swears by Miura's but now he is looking at my Bandits in disbelief over the price difference. Check them out, they solved my problem, maybe they will solve yours. If it helps, I wear a NB 10.5 and I ordered the Bandits in 10.5. I would call the fit comfortably snug, in otherwords they fit me perfect.

http://www.evolvesports.com/index.htm

*I have no financial interest in Evolve, I just really love the shoes.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook