Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cthulu

May 21, 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #1 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

I'm Pissed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the situation. I go to boarding school and just brought out my slackline a few days ago. I set it up and it quickly became a popular activity. It was not unusual for there to be twenty people gathered around it after dinner. Everyone was getting better and I was finally getting some tricks down, then disaster struck. I left the line up for a couple days straight because it was beautiful weather, and some asshole mowing the lawn decided that the grass under the line really needed to be cut. So what did they do? They simply sliced the line with a knife. I came back to find everything in a ball at the base of one of the trees. And it wasn't enough to just cut the line they also cut one of the runners.
I'm pissed and people are pissed at me beacause they wanna walk. Bummer.

Partner coldclimb

May 21, 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #2 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Re: I'm Pissed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awwwwww that sucks! Any way to get the person responsible to buy you a new line? That would make up for the inconvenience with a lot of extra anchor webbing. ;)

I've heard of people tying lines together in the middle with a water knot. You might try that. It's not the same as a single line of course, but they say it's fine to do. I've never tried personally. I think it would help you get your line back up and walkable.

Good luck!

boardline22

May 21, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #3 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good luck

Partner angry

May 21, 2005, 1:00 AM
Post #4 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I don't really slackline, but I'm usually pissed.

I hope that helps.

boulderkid17

May 21, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #5 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grass movers piss me off too. I don't know why though

Partner wormly81

May 21, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #6 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you think its very smart to be leaving a slackline setup for some idiot to crack their head open???

If I were you I wouldnt accept any certified mail for a while....

Jeff

justanotherclimber

May 21, 2005, 1:20 AM
Post #7 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

you're actually suprised they sliced the line?

i would have cut that thing in a hot minute if it was in the way of doing my job.

corpse

May 21, 2005, 1:41 AM
Post #8 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

i would have cut that thing in a hot minute if it was in the way of doing my job.

Agreed - leaving it for the night in a public place, and you are basically writing it off as garbage, littering, and dangerous litter too.. Imagine someone running, or riding a bicycle fast @ night, no way they would see it.

gullwing19

May 21, 2005, 2:07 AM
Post #9 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow that sucks. The inhumanity of some guy trying to earn a living cutting down your slack line. Should I send you the $3.72 it's gonna take to replace your gear? Maybe then you'll stop bitching about nothing and save me from wasting my time reading your dribble.

Partner coldclimb

May 21, 2005, 2:10 AM
Post #10 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow that sucks. The inhumanity of some guy trying to earn a living cutting down your slack line. Should I send you the $3.72 it's gonna take to replace your gear? Maybe then you'll stop b---- about nothing and save me from wasting my time reading your dribble.

:boring:

greenketch

May 21, 2005, 2:34 AM
Post #11 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cthulu, bummer about the gear. I imagine there is more to the story but it's not good to leave stuff like that up.
I probably don't have the same size grounds crew as your school to deal with, but. After my last move I checked in with the grounds folks at my place. I told them I like to do this stuff and I'll try to not leave it in your way. Then said this is not stuff to screw around with as slicing webbing under tension can be bad. So, If I do leave it up look for this and pull here (I started using a munter hich with a half hitch for one end) everything comes down easy and nobody gets hurt. They were very appreciative and a couple times I have come back and found everything neatly coiled by one of the trees. One guy has since started joining me when he sees it up.

My suggestion is take your lumps and be cool to the folks.

kman

May 21, 2005, 3:23 AM
Post #12 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Grass movers piss me off too

Yeah I would also be pissed if some asshole moved my lawn.

gullwing19

May 21, 2005, 3:27 AM
Post #13 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:boring: = WTF? I hate these stupid icons

jcpace

May 21, 2005, 4:07 AM
Post #14 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pissed. My wife ran off with the lobster trainer at Sea World. She took all of the kids with her, except for Gunther, the ugly one.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 21, 2005, 5:21 AM
Post #15 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP:

First, I'm not suprised they chopped the line.

Second, you should really be more considerate about leaving things out like that, if someone falls, breaks their neck the school or you could be held liable. No one has died as of yet on a slackline, but we all know that it COULD happen. If it does, it'll probably be a person ignorant of the sport who just jumps on a line when your not looking. I've got little kids in my neighborhood, there's no way I'm leaving a line up unattended, much less for days on end.

Third I'll be a forgiving sort, mail it to me and I'll fix it for you (seriously). I'll sew your main line and sling with a nice heavy duty splice for free (you pay shipping back). PM or email me for an address. Get those kids back slacking!

Overall, just accept the fact, no need to be pissed off. We don't need any more slackline access closures than have already happened. Some of us have been working very hard at keeping minds open to slacklining on public or school property.

niles

May 21, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #16 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Third I'll be a forgiving sort, mail it to me and I'll fix it for you (seriously). I'll sew your main line and sling with a nice heavy duty splice for free (you pay shipping back). PM or email me for an address. Get those kids back slacking!

Props to you Joe! Way to be.
~Niles

boardline22

May 21, 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #17 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well my Girlfriend slept with my best friend, then came back and stole all my climbing gear including my nuts, but I stole her rack so it evens out.

skymeat

May 25, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #18 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I left my line up in my front yard...my roomate bailed over it twice in 10 minutes, and the pizza guy biffed rushing to my door, I started taking it down at night:) But I do wonder why I chose dark green webbing when I could have had any one of 6 other flouresent colors.

troutboy

May 25, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #19 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe then you'll stop b---- about nothing and save me from wasting my time reading your dribble.

I'm going to assume you mean drivel, because if you really were trying to read his dribble...well, that's an image I do not want in my head :lol:

TS

scubanclimb

May 25, 2005, 7:59 PM
Post #20 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm pissed. My wife ran off with the lobster trainer at Sea World. She took all of the kids with her, except for Gunther, the ugly one.

Dang! I laughed so hard the guy in the next office came over to see if I was crying...

ikefromla

May 25, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #21 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Dang! I laughed so hard the guy in the next office came over to see if I was crying...
HA! I don't laugh out loud cuz the boss's office is right next to me with the door open. :lol:

txtechclimber

May 27, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #22 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklinejoe,
thats a cool website you have linked is that your company, ive never slacklined before or ever even really seen it done but it looks like it could be a good additon to my back yard!!

marcel

May 27, 2005, 1:58 AM
Post #23 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm in charge of maintenace at a small private collage. I try to be considerate of students when they leave stuff in the way of getting work done. I would have warned a student once and then the 2nd time I would have had my guys do the same thing. Part of going to school is learing how to be responsible for your own stuff. Sorry you had to learn the hard way!

slackman

Jun 5, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #24 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about that. I wouldn't be too bent out of shape over it tho. Just take it in stride and learn from it. And I agree.. definately be cool to the grounds people. And.. uh.. what's up with GullWing? A rather uncalled bashing.. I mean... you'd think that everyone in the Rock/Slack/HackySack circle would know and understand a lot of this stuff to the point where they can provide CONSTRUCTIVE input.. rather than condescend and blotch a clean thread with annoying dribble like that. Good Luck.

northerndrawl

Jul 13, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #25 of 36 (16743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I've heard of people tying lines together in the middle with a water knot. You might try that. It's not the same as a single line of course, but they say it's fine to do.

Any knot in rope or webbing reduces strength by about a third (sometimes more, sometimes less). So it will not be as strong as the intact rope. Best not to get in the habit of using patched together gear.

To Slackline Joe: Are you going to stitch or splice the rope? Tell me more about this.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook