Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner neuroshock

May 26, 2005, 8:20 AM
Post #51 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Re: Started my own climbing clothing company [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Love the cucumber shirt idea. It'd be awesome if you could figure out a (climbing-related) object to put on there. I'd be all over that one!!!
a #5 bigbro? i have no idea which color that one is....

Partner neuroshock

May 26, 2005, 8:36 AM
Post #52 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
while im on it, zippers...yey or ney? for instance, the 3/4 length zipper bottoms? they'll prolly get lost.

so, thoughts on:
zippers (in general on pants)
velcro (in general on pants)
Snaps, buttons, ties, buckles...thoughts please!!!
3/4 length zipper bottoms? huh? do you mean convertible pants? i'm not a fan of convertible pants, but i've a climbing partner who almost swears by 'em.

zippered fly and pockets over velcroed - when climbing i don't care, but when going out i'd prefer that my fly is done up straight. i'd also like to not have that vecro-ripping sound when undoing the pants.

for the pockets, closures don't seem to be necessary unless you're talking a cargo pocket on the leg. cargo pockets can be nice (i'd rather carry my id + keys on my leg than under my butt...esp on those sit-starts) but if it's gusseted, check that it won't snag on stuff like cabinet knobs, etc. no cargos pockets over heavy/bulky ones.

anything that goes around the waist should be stylin' (like belt loops for the optional belt when going out, work etc) but also work in all/most scenarios (bulky belt loops make for hotspots on the waist when you cinch a harness or pack waistbelt down over them)

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 1:04 PM
Post #53 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i apologize for the double post...wow, that's embarrassing!

im thinking of creative slogans, but i don't want to be slogan-based. there's nothing worse than a company that can't make anything better than a cute 3 word saying.

see dick.
see dick send.
send dick send.

hmmm...

wouldn't it be funny if the size matters shirt was of a size 7 5.10 mojave? haha, get it? smaller the better...that'd be an interesting play on a common theme.

nd2boostt

May 26, 2005, 1:17 PM
Post #54 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i apologize for the double post...wow, that's embarrassing!

im thinking of creative slogans, but i don't want to be slogan-based. there's nothing worse than a company that can't make anything better than a cute 3 word saying.

see dick.
see dick send.
send dick send.

hmmm...

wouldn't it be funny if the size matters shirt was of a size 7 5.10 mojave? haha, get it? smaller the better...that'd be an interesting play on a common theme.

Lol...."send dick send" is pretty funny, although I'm not sure I'd actually wear a shirt with that word on it....dunno.

I really like the shoe idea. It'd have to be pretty obvious that the shoe is super small though. Like, maybe a really ripped climber cramming his X-large foot into a tiny slipper....hehehe....a common sight to all of us!

Or...something about a "rack" size would be funny as well.

Man, I really hope all of this works out. I love shirts with catchy phrases and stuff. I know they're kinda cheesey, but I just can't help myself!

zoebird

May 26, 2005, 1:18 PM
Post #55 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use a minimum amount of chalk; generally i don't sweat much (and never have). the chalk that i do use doesn't seem to bother my clothes, but as a tip, the best removal method is to take old pantyhose (clean) ball it up, and then brush it across the surface of whatever you're wearing. it lifts the chalk right off.

dangerous:

i'm sending you a PM with some information. i do have some yoga pics online.

i agree about the breast/bra sizing thing too. I'm a B/C and the shelf bra type things don't work as well as a formed up scenario--no matter what i'm doing. I usually have to wear a bra (formed cup) under any tanks with a shelf bra. it makes my breasts look massive (most people think they're fake, which is a riot) and honestly, isn't that comfortable to have competing bras.

i like the idea of a snap to roll up to or something similar.

nd2boostt

May 26, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #56 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a B/C and the shelf bra type things don't work as well as a formed up scenario--no matter what i'm doing. I usually have to wear a bra (formed cup) under any tanks with a shelf bra. it makes my breasts look massive (most people think they're fake, which is a riot) and honestly, isn't that comfortable to have competing bras.

I have the same problem. Sport tanks and things with shelf bra's don't offer near enough support, especially when I plan to boulder alot (which means I need to be ready for a high fall....ouch!). I always double up, and that is not too pleasant in the summer. Something with sufficient support would be awesome (if it exists).

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #57 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

although i claim to be an expert on their contents, the bras themselves im new to...so, i will have to do some research (that sounds really funny...but it's true), to find out how all of that can be done.

so, correct me if im wrong. your want support, thats breathable, that shows off good curves and is comfrotable?

alright..

kpj240789

May 26, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #58 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make snake skin shorts then I'd look so hot.

zoebird

May 26, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #59 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, if it is possible.

that's why i like the formed cup. i have some tanks that have formed cups and underwires. these are a 'bit much' because the underwire becomes uncomfortable. The formed cup is breathe-able, and there are other options to underwires that still give the underwire support (see victoria's secret's new line). I believe that these can be sewn into tank tops as easily as shelf bra tops. And, it is nicer for bustier gals. Similarly, said tanks with these types of bra tops should come in different sizes. For instance:

Small A/B
Small B/C
Small C/D
Med A/B
Med B/C
Med C/D

YOu get the idea. LIke the leg lengths of pants, it's pain for me to find tank tops that fit in the shoulders and body, but don't fit the breasts. To fit the breasts, i end up baggy in the body and too long in the shoulder straps. So, offering multi-sizes is a good idea.

girls are difficult, aren't we?

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #60 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lordy! i just say, large hoodie, large tank top...no boobie to bother with. no strap length issues...wow...

heres the timeline.
one thing to keep in mind is that all the things we are discussing and i am considering or even planning on doing will take time. not to mention, even if i had them ready now, it wouldnt be smart to release them all at once. i cant have a 50 item year then have a 3 item year the next. so, i will have to ration the releases for seasons and things like that. so, please be patient as i strategically make the presence in the market. not to mention it's freaking expensive

releasing first three designs on tops within the next month
when i say designs, i mean a different actual print. so, the one design may be on hoodies, tshirts, tank tops and baby doll shirts. the first thing i am going to do is take existing apparel, and base designs off those (to build capitol and get the name out). i wont do heavy advertising and keep it moderately low key at first. then, when the time is right and i find the right contractors, we will begin production of unique clothing.

so, the good news is, we will bw making this gear for you, and essentially by you...the bad news is, i wont have it 5 minutes ago. it would be a folly on my part and a letdown on yours if i took what we discussed here and immediately went and started making things. i will conduct more focues groups, of regional climbers...that way i can tailor clothes to cold/cool weather climbing vs scolding heat and wind or whatever. also, i will do research as far as trial runs with particular designs and let climbers wear em in and out. this way we have data as to how they hold up and wash repeatedly and survive the outdoor/indoor life...

so, all that to say...i didn't want to be the company that makes great claims and doesn't follow through. so in order to not be that, i need to tell you honestly the time frame. if things go overly-well, i may be able to release sooner...but without the proper coverage and popularity, a great line may go unnoticed (although the word would spread).

so, bare with me and keep giving me ideas. i did the preliminary trademark search and so far so good. talked to a great lawyer and we're moving forward.

ill keep ya posted.
danegerous

outdoorsie

May 26, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #61 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lordy! i just say, large hoodie, large tank top...no boobie to bother with. no strap length issues...wow...

... so, the one design may be on hoodies, tshirts, tank tops and baby doll shirts.

Ugh, baby doll shirts? Ok, so I skipped over 3 pages of this thread, but did somebody suggest that or is it just something you came up with? I generally thought climbing clothing was supposed to allow for comfort and freedom of movement, and I get neither of these things from "baby doll" shirts.

And a simple suggestion... POCKETS. Pockets everywhere. Lots of pockets. Pockets for foodbars, pockets for tissues, pockets for hair bands, pockets for car keys or cell phones, pockets for topos or maps... yes... pockets would be sooo nice.

I feel like I've said this before.... :wink: http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/85119

pheenixx

May 26, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #62 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

o.k. people - it's time for me to step in - there are a few things I just don't understand.

danegerous ~ you get A++ for enthusium but I can't seem to figure out WHY anyone would come all the way from Chicago to climb in a chosse pile at White Tanks.. :shock: :?: :?: Nor does it make any sense to base an accurate climbing wardrobe opinion from an IL State Trooper (maybe he was just giving you the thumbs-up for not speeding)...???

to continue on....Stonewear designs suck- they've sidesteped the climbing community and went for yoga wear. (yoga doesn't suck) They've abandon their roots. At last check, their fabrics were an even thinner type of knited poly that snags within 2' of even looking at rock..!! AND i'm not wearing large bell-bottoms while crack-climbing or any other type of climbing.

zoebird ~ I could go on-and-on about WHY do they make "shelf" bras. Sur it's cheap but hey - I've got 2 of 'em -- NOT 1. Why would I want to ~smuucch~ 'em all together unattractively into 1 solid mass.... (designed by aliens) And yes, ALL pants are to short out there. WHY DO THEY ONLY MAKE MEN'S PANTS IN LENGTHS..????? Are we all the same height in the female gender..??? ...duh... :roll:

Good luck with your clothing line - I've been there and done it. Lived, worked in the big apple and know what the hell I'm talking about. When you get a large budget and can rent out a loom to make your own fabric or be able to secure your own colors - PM me. :righton:

Yeah ~ it sure is amazing lostdog CAN STILL think while being nailed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #63 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

different point, worth a double post.

if you have actual drawings or designs for a tshirt/hoodie/tank top, whatever, please let me know. if we use your design, no questions asked, $50 your way...

let me assure you that this is the case. i had this promise made to me at one point and i sent in over 20 ideas...right now a line of clothing designs is in production entirely based on my ideas. i never recieved a penny and when i questioned them, they said someone else sent them ALL the same designs before me.

so don't worry, you WILL NOT get shafted by me or the company. thanks.
danegerous

sonus

May 26, 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #64 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Chicago...I can help you test your designs!

zoebird

May 26, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #65 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dangerous:

as a small business owner myself, i understand that it is expensive and it takes time. If you want ideas, i'm willing to give them. if you're in the positioin to recieve ideas, then certainly recieve them or keep them in mind. Some things you may never be able to do. Other things you can do over the next few years. Some things you will be able to do right away.

I'd be willing to pay $50-75 for a pair of pants that are want i want, fit, and will last at least a year with good, hard wear. prana has good hard wear, but terrible fit for me. Their pants are generally in this price range. I'm willing to make that sort of investment if it fits. You know?

Also, with the tops, i'm happy with fitted baby ts. Fitted tees allow easy movement without getting in the way. They also look better in general. I'm happy to wear quality, affordable fitted baby ts (that are longer in torso length, taking into consideration the issue brought up about the harness and what not) and provide my own bras. I becoming a bra afficianado because now that i'm in the market again (as i am every early summer), the makes i bought last year don't exist (and i liked them!), so i've tried on whatever new crap the world has to offer. I find Fredrick's of Hollywood fit best and look cutest, but don't work great for rock climbing, and sports bras are nothing for me. But, i've found a few cotton bras that work--even if they aren't specifically sports bras.

So anyway what i'm saying is that at this point, highly technical bra tops aren't entirely necessary for your business. But when you start to take off and can make that sort of investment, do it in the 5th or 10th year. right? by then, my boobs shall have been baby-used (most likely) so perhaps i'll have different insight as to need based on shape and sag-factor. but, as it is now, it's something to consider way off.

Most importantly, i think, are the leg length issue for women's pants. If you can do multiple leg lengths, it would be fabulous.

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #66 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i thought i was double posting, but apparently i was too slow, hahaha.

i will be making climbing gear, for climbing. i will also be making gear that is casual but still for climbers. ideally the two will merge and become the same thing. so, that explains the baby doll.

i fell your pockets...nuff said, i feel em.

white tanks...let me explain. im going to AZ to visit grams in sun city. im only there for 4 days and apparently it's important to see the fam.

so, i'll be there which is better than playing bocci ball all day

EDIT:
"SAG FACTOR" maybe that will be the name of the bra department of the company...

pheenixx

May 26, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #67 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
white tanks...let me explain. im going to AZ to visit grams in sun city. im only there for 4 days and apparently it's important to see the fam.

so, i'll be there which is better than playing bocci ball all day

Ahh... nuff said. Stay cool..! 8^)

chouca

May 26, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #68 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck on your venture. There is always a market for well made fitness clothing. Much of the climbing clothing I see stuff out there is lifestyle fashion gear.

Best wishes,
Marc B.

baalzimon

May 26, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #69 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hanes T-shirts fit like CRAP. Use something like a Terramar Synthetic Tee. Or at least find a cotton shirt that fits like a terramar. Hanes are quite square, and when they shrink, they shrink from the bottom up, so they stay too wide.

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #70 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hanes T-shirts fit like CRAP. Use something like a Terramar Synthetic Tee. Or at least find a cotton shirt that fits like a terramar. Hanes are quite square, and when they shrink, they shrink from the bottom up, so they stay too wide.

ok, ok, point taken. on my first order i got 3 different types to see the fit. before i start making mass amounts, they will be handed out and climbed in. and washed and climbed in. designs are secondary to fit and feel...right now at least. we are currently designing a butt load of new shirts. its exciting

fiend

May 26, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #71 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some interesting links that you may want to consider:

A lot of progressive companies are making the move (or have already) to organic cotton sources.

Eg: prAna, Nike, MEC, REI, Patagonia, Timberland.

See if your current printing company deals with American Apparel and find out what options you have for using organic materials.

If there is anything the world needs less than a t-shirt with a 'Nice Rack' or 'I have big Nuts' slogan, it's more needless damage to the environment.

shnobe

May 26, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #72 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check this company out, I use to use their clothing line quite a bit while I lived in the UK, it was very well designed and very practical clothing plus it wasn't that expensive.

www.craghoppers.com

danegerous

May 26, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #73 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

update: contacted sewing contractors, inquired about the requests youve made...also about organic cotton

NEW QUESTION!
how do you guys feel about chalk bags? what do you want to see? what dont you want/need. new features, basic, colors, patterns, fabric, size, comfort...anything.

same questions for rope bags, gear bags and crash pads...

for gear bags, what compartments do you want, what things are a must. i have some killer ideas for gear bags that i think you will all die over...seriously, killer stuff.

thanks guys

fiend

May 26, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #74 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh no, not another chalkbag design! j/k

nd2boostt

May 26, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #75 of 124 (14010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
update: contacted sewing contractors, inquired about the requests youve made...also about organic cotton

NEW QUESTION!
how do you guys feel about chalk bags? what do you want to see? what dont you want/need. new features, basic, colors, patterns, fabric, size, comfort...anything.

same questions for rope bags, gear bags and crash pads...

for gear bags, what compartments do you want, what things are a must. i have some killer ideas for gear bags that i think you will all die over...seriously, killer stuff.

thanks guys

They should stay pretty simple imo, but I do LOVE the one that have a smaller zipper pocket. It's perfect for a cell phone, keys, etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook