RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bmxer

Jun 2, 2005, 9:32 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Cement Wall Climbing Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently we bought a new house and there's a really great two story wide cement wall on the side of the house. It's thick enough to drill into. I remember finding a website where a guy showed you how to make a climbing wall out of exactly that. But now I can't.
Pretty much you drill into it, but how do you screw the holds in? On plywood you would use T-nuts.
Anyway thanx.

viciado

Jun 2, 2005, 9:40 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cement Wall Climbing Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't drill, try glue ons. Anchors would be another issue, but for boudering, just glue them on.

This may help you get started.

wrbill

Jun 2, 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can use the five pice Rawl anchors. They are nice because the you can leave the sleevein the wall and it does not stick out. This are the same anchors that are use on sport routes, so they will hold the weight. You can get them at the McMaster-Carr web site http://www.mcmaster.com/ . From the main page goto the Fastening and Sealing and click on the anchors. Then click on Bolt & Stud Anchors. Then what you can do is get bolts of different lengths that have the same thread pitch so you can put you holds on. The bolts are only $1.55 each and sold in a box ten.

bmxer

Jun 2, 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been looking around online, and I read about nylon anchor inserts. Maybe those will work. Now to figure out what size I need.

mgoodro

Jun 2, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius makes concrete anchors for climbing holds, $1.70 ea.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/hardware-paint.htm

I'd suggest a mix of different methods. This will help balance costs and give you more flexibility. If you find something doesn't work for you or your wall you won't be out as much.

Also, from the Metolius site: "Be sure to check with a structural engineer before you start drilling holes in your wall!"

mackattack

Jun 3, 2005, 2:09 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those metolius anchors look good but might be a bit expensive if you need alot try something generic maybe from home depot or lowes

korntera

Jun 3, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking at holds a while back and came across holds that were meant to be placed in concrete or brick. I can't find the site right now but you might want to try look for it. All i remember was that they didn't have a great selection of holds and they were a little bit more, because they were made specifically for concrete.

-Travis

P.S. If i can find it I will edit this post with the site.

bmxer

Jun 3, 2005, 8:01 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok guys here's the real deal. 4 or 5 months ago I made a thread about going to Armenia. And now I've been here for about a month. So I'm not sure exactly what the selection is like in our hardware stores. I should probably check.
My best bet is to find the nylon anchor inserts. Those should be pretty cheap and I don't care too much about being perfectly sound, it's just for me and my friends to goof around in the backyard.

-But I don't know what size I need.

I had my mom ship all my holds here and they're already on their way. She'll be coming to visit in 10 days, and I can maybe ask her to bring some stuff, but shes not very good at finding specefic things. So I can't order anything off of websites because it will take too long to get to her. And I have to know exactly what to tell her in order for her to go to a hardware store.

My choices are : PC-7 glue, for gluing holds on
but I woud like to change things around, So any way to insert holds into the wall would make me happy.

My biggest problem is I Need to know what SIZE anchor inserts for basic climbing hold bolts. And I don't mean length of bolt or insert. I mean width or diameter of bolt and insert. I know that I have to drill a whole slightly bigger than the insert. Because the bolt is slightly smaller than the insert. So... I'm a little confused.

http://img.photobucket.com/...nanchorsforbrick.jpg

I found that on a website I can't find anymore. Those are apparently Nylon Anchor inserts.

bmxer

Jun 3, 2005, 8:07 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry dbl post

wrbill

Jun 3, 2005, 1:06 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are a few web pages that you can use to help you figure out what you can use. If it was me I would not use the nylon anchors because they have a low ultimate tension strength of only about 500lbs. The anchors that was talking about in my post above have a ultimate tension strength of 4800lbs and a shear strength of 7800lbs, these are the 3/8" dia. As for the size that you are looking for is 3/8" dia. I would not go any smaller than that because of shear strength will be lacking.

This first link is for the anchors that you want to buy.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3128&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep=514221540029962&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1068

This second link is for the anchors that I would recommend.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3123&CtlgEdition=&RelatedCtlgPgs=3119,3120,3121,3122,3123,3124,3125,3126,3127,3128&sesnextrep=514221540029962&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1068&ToolsetID=ToolMultiPageNav&ToolsetAct=

I hope this helps!

wrbill

Jun 3, 2005, 1:11 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry was a double post

wrbill

Jun 3, 2005, 1:16 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 post

socalbolter

Jun 3, 2005, 2:14 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DO NOT !

i repeat:

DO NOT !

Use the plastic or nylon inserts. Even with a perfectly drilled and cleaned hole they will not work for what you're trying to do. People have tried this many times before.

The cheapest alternative that will actually work is the drop-in anchor. The metolius versions are a little expensive, but if you check around you should be able to find a 3/8" x 16 threads per inch drop in concrete anchor for less than $1 each. With these you just use a regular hold bolt and allen wrench to install. The hole that you drill into the concrete would be a 1/2" hole.

cruzinsouthoc

Jun 20, 2005, 8:07 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give the drop in anchors a try...you can install a bunch of them and since they are female inserts, they sit flush with the wall and don't protrude... You just screw your bolt/hold right into them when you need them like you'd do with a T-Nut in most clmbing walls.

Remember when you're drilling into concrete, there is going to be rebar in there somewhere...it'll be anywhere between 2" to 3" from the face of the wall. The drop in's are installed shallow enough that the hole you drill SHOULD keep you from hitting rebar...unless you're using expensive diamond coring drills, the rebar will stop you dead in your tracks so there's no real danger of drilling through it. The only concern is if the bit catches on the rebar when you hit it... depending on the drill you use, it may just scare you or if you're not holding the drill properly, you can sprain your wrist or something like that when using a really powerful roto-hammer drill.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook