RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

meataxe

Jun 3, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #1 of 5 (999 views)
Shortcut

Visiting San Diego
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Searching on San Diego seems to turn up posts for people planning road trips somewhere else. I'm going to be visiting San Diego for work at the end of June and I'm just wondering if it is worthwhile staying a couple of days extra to climb.

Any advice?

trenchdigger

Jun 3, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 5 (999 views)
Shortcut

Re: Visiting San Diego [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It'll probably be a little warm, but if you can stand the heat or don't mind getting up early, there's some fun to be had at Mt Woodson, and maybe even El Cajon Mtn if the temperatures are abnormally low. Mission Gorge and Santee Boulders are fun for quick sessions, but they're no reason to stay in town extra days for. Check www.giantsoftware.com/sdcc for Mission Gorge, Santee, and El Cajon Mtn guides. Woodson info can be found in the San Diego County Climbing Guide ($24). The best bet for Woodson is to rope a local into showing you around to the good routes there. Boulders there can be hard to find because of the heavy brush.

omenbringer

Jun 3, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 5 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

San Diego has some descent climbing areas, such as Mission Gorge and Mt Woodson, etc. For more info you can look on the San Diego Climbers Coalition Website It has free guides, current access issues and you can post partner requests. If you are looking for something more grandoise, Taquitz is about two hours away, Joshua tree is about three hours, and Las Vegas and Red Rocks are about five hours. If you want any more info feel free to PM.

omenbringer

Jun 3, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #4 of 5 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

San Diego has some descent climbing areas, such as Mission Gorge and Mt Woodson, etc. For more info you can look on the San Diego Climbers Coalition Website It has free guides, current access issues and you can post partner requests. If you are looking for something more grandoise, Taquitz is about two hours away, Joshua tree is about three hours, and Las Vegas and Red Rocks are about five hours. If you want any more info feel free to PM.

meataxe

Jun 4, 2005, 1:54 AM
Post #5 of 5 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info... I'm going to check out the links. Considering I'm from Southern Ontario, it looks pretty good--even if it not the best of California.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook