RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

skateman

Jun 6, 2005, 1:43 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Do Tech-wick products work too good?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The following happenend to me this weekend while multi-pitching at Cathedral ledge in NH:

We got a 9:30 start on the climb. The climb was very exposed to the sun. I'm guessing that the air temp was around 80 degrees. After about a 100' of climbing & profuse sweating I came to a nice little ledge, then whooosh, I became very dizzy and somewhat disoriented. It felt like I had a case of the bed spins! I managed to move off to the right a little to a point where I could sit down a set an anchor. I remember (just barely) that it was hard for me to concentrate on what I was doing. I felt very confused and seriously light headed. After the I assembled the anchor I just sat there for 5-10 minutes. Luckily I had a hydration pack to suck on! I then brought up my second and we made the decision to bail in favor of some climbing in a more shaded enviroment.

This has never happenend to me before. I usually climb in cotton, but today I was wearing one of those tech wick shirts. I'm wondering if the tech-wicks are too effecient at removing moisture leading to my apparent dehydration? This may seem like a silly question, but has anyone had similiar experiences with this type of shirt?

BTW- After consuming mass quantities of beverage, we were able to climb the rest of the day in the shade.

Dan

dirtineye

Jun 6, 2005, 2:18 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Re: Do Tech-wick products work too good? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what were you doing the night before?

I don't think quick dry clothing causes dehydration in a few minutes at 80 degrees.

Some of your symptoms sound like dehydration, but the rapid onset and then recovering as fast as you did does not sound right.

Maybe you got overheated from over exertion? Or maybe it was low blood sugar even-- did you eat before you went climbing? What about after your dizzy spell? did your drinks have any sugar or carbs in them?

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think so.

No fabric "removes" moisture. Tech-wick helps you bring the moisture that you're losing anyway to the surface of the garment so it can evaporate faster. Evaporation, BTW, is your body's most efficient method of heat loss. So, synthetics, like Tech-wick, actually help keep you cooler.

As to your problem, any number of factors may have contributed to your alleged heat problem. What had you eaten up to 24 hours prior? Were you thoroughly hydrated before the climb? Did you drink the night before?

See where I'm going with this? Your body is a complicated system.

Regardless though, you certainly did the right thing by hydrating and getting off the wall. I would also stop by a doctor's office if I were you.

bostonclimbah

Jun 6, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt it. I climb / hike / bike /ski / run / whatever, almost exclusively in moisture wicking fabrics. Sounds like you might not have been properly hydrated before you started.

bostonclimbah

Jun 6, 2005, 2:34 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt it. I climb / hike / bike /ski / run / whatever, almost exclusively in moisture wicking fabrics. Sounds like you might not have been properly hydrated before you started.

skateman

Jun 6, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Dirt and J,

Confession time without getting too graphic: A couple of days before I was experiencing some sort of stomach bug. I felt great that morning, so I didn't think there would be any issues. There was probally at least an hour lag from the time that I retreated and when I had resumed climbing. Had some gatorade and a light snack to recharge the batteries.

Lesson learned- don't be too eager to climb if you aren't feeling 100% (even though at the time I thought I was)

kman

Jun 8, 2005, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I usually climb in cotton, but today I was wearing one of those tech wick shirts. I'm wondering if the tech-wicks are too effecient at removing moisture leading to my apparent dehydration?

Uhh..nope. Shirts do not dehydrate people. Not drinking enough water dehydrates people.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook