RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

rocloco

Jun 7, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #1 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

The Finger is Numb
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was pulling very hard the other day and my middle finger (rt hnd) went numb. 2 days later it still is. Feels kinda like when your foot or hand fall asleep. I'm sure it will wake up eventually. Anyone else get this ever? Figure I pinched a nerve.

FYI, yes I'm sure there are other posts on this and feel free to call me an idiot or lazy for not looking. If the need to display your enlightened nature calls please do let us all know. Or if the necessity to exhibit the superior quality of your worth as a human being/climber emerges strong since you have discussed the topic already, again, please feel free to take the opportunity to lighten the heavy load I have burdened you with and call me a f--- face. :wink:

tradnomad

Jun 7, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #2 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Finger is Numb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the bottom of the page for a list of other threads discussing this.

But since I didn't post to any of those, I'll add my two cents here...

Also happened to me when pulling on a very sharp pocket in the middle of a roof. Didn't get full feeling back for almost 6 months. In the meantime I had fun impressing my friends with how long I could hold my finger to the side of a hot cup of coffee :D

rocloco

Jun 7, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #3 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I've been trying to come up with ways to take advantage of it. I think I'll try the hot coffee mug with the co-workers. Maybe I can make some $ on a bet and buy a new biner.

roboclimber

Jun 7, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the whole digit numb (i.e. both sides equally numb)? Is there involvement of any of the other digits or just this one? Where along the finger can you feel sensation (i.e. proximal to the first knuckle, second, etc.). If your finger is fully functional (i.e. you did not sublux or dislocate at the time of the finger "strain"), then feeling may come back. If your finger was also injured, you may not get sensation back into the digit (local swelling, injury, etc. could compromise the integrity of the nerve). Going to see a doctor in this case (assuming that your finger is not injured) will not change the outcome or prognosis. Time may.:(

rocloco

Jun 7, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the left side (palm down) of the finger from the last knuckle to the tip of the finger. The right side (palm down) of the finger is close to normal. Left side totally numb, middle of the finger slightly numb, and the right side really isn't numb at all. It's a 50/50 deal and only from the last knuckle/joint to the tip of the middle finger.

roboclimber

Jun 7, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #6 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sensation will most likely come back but it may take a little while, like a couple of months (if sensation was lost at just the tip of the finger). This is not an injury that is going to sideline you; you may want to get the finger itself evaluated by a physician if it was strained or injured, and then lay off accordingly. My concern would be with the ligaments and tendons associated with the finger that were damaged during the strain. Good luck.:)

tree

Jun 8, 2005, 8:50 AM
Post #7 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of fingers...about a month ago i was on one of my first climbs and i was in a gym. Well, me being the beginner I am put my thumb in a bult hole of a handle. I then proceeded to lunge up and jump for another handle with my opposite arm. My thumb naturally stuck in the bult hole and made a few wierd cracking noises and hurt, naturally. but I didnt want to stop climbing bla bla bla, it swole up for a week, and now its mostly down, but it still hurts if i touch it. And now, I can pop it in this wierd direction that I never could before. And it still aches sometimes. However I somehow think I can manage yet another day. What is pathetic is that I actually mention such a minescule thing... :oops:

rocloco

Jun 8, 2005, 1:44 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree Wrote:

[My thumb naturally stuck in the bult hole and made a few wierd cracking noises and hurt, naturally. but I didnt want to stop climbing bla bla bla, it swole up for a week, and now its mostly down, but it still hurts if i touch it. And now, I can pop it in this wierd direction that I never could before. And it still aches sometimes.]

IDK man. That sounds broken to me. You can't feel bones moving against each other can you?

tree

Jun 8, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #9 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No I cant feel bones moving against each other. It is just a little swollen still but I can still move it, its just slightly more stiff than my other thumb. I dont really think about it anymore I just kinda wonder what happened.

What is IDK ? :oops:

~ Laura

t-dog
Deleted

Jun 8, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #10 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IDK - I don't know....

and..... ummm..... bolt holes are bad, m'kay??

roboclimber

Jun 8, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #11 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like medial collateral ligament tear of the thumb. Look up "Gamekeeper's Thumb" on the web and see if your thumb fits the clinical description. To avoid complications (and I mean surgery) this condition should be evaluated by a physician.

Partner csgambill

Jun 8, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #12 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like it's time to cut off that unruly digit.

tree

Jun 9, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #13 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sounds like medial collateral ligament tear of the thumb. Look up "Gamekeeper's Thumb" on the web and see if your thumb fits the clinical description. To avoid complications (and I mean surgery) this condition should be evaluated by a physician.

I look it up and low and behold i do believe thats what I have...no way I would have surgery...thats a ruined summer :cry: however I dont think its that bad. Thanks for the help!!

oh, and

In reply to:
and..... ummm..... bolt holes are bad, m'kay??

Yes thank you, I got a wrathfull talk from my friend about it haha. Lesson learned

roboclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #14 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Self diagnosis and internet diagnoses are the worst possible thing for an injury. Whatever you have, tree, get it looked at by a professional. Just because there are a few individuals sniffing around rockclimbing.com with a little health related knowledge (or a lot; I know there are plenty of doc's that use the site) does not mean that any of the advice or spray that you get is worth a damn (my advice included). If this injury is gamekeeper's thumb, management of the injury can change outcomes i.e. if it is not managed correctly, you will end up with pain and weakness and will need surgery. My two cents. :wink:

talus_

Jun 10, 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #15 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bummer about your thumb. i think a lot of climbers get weird injuries around the time they start. something to do with unbridled enthusiasm. anyway. if you do have a game keepers (IE skiers thumb, ulnar collateral etc) then you need to get to a doc. here's why. early management of a non-op injury will lead to a good outcome and delayed management will lead to a lousy one. you might need a simple splint to get the thumb to heal in the right position. you might need a surgery (its a small one). you definitely need an xray as the ligament might have pulled off a little fleck of bone. either way? you really need a thumb.
make an appointment. time matters but don't freak out. it wouldn't have to be today or anything. but it should be within a week. good luck!

wa_hoo

Jun 11, 2005, 2:26 AM
Post #16 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll add my two cents too - I had a very similar feeling for several months (as one person above noted too). I was at the Dr. for something else and asked and she said it's swelling in the inside of the knuckle/finger that pinches the nerve and recommended round the clock motrin therapy for 7-10 days.

It helped a lot. Good luck.

blouderk2

Jun 11, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #17 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This also happened to me and it was my middle finger. I was hanging on this small pocket while clipping a bolt and when I pulled my finger out of the hold it was completely numb. It was numb for about two days and it felt very strange. I think I pulled a nerve in it or something. It will come back it just might take a couple of days.

rocloco

Jun 13, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #18 of 18 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it feels much closer to normal today. Climbing seemed to help with the sensation coming back a bit. Still a touch numby, but much better.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook