RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

sosure

Jun 27, 2002, 4:50 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by sosure
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

miagi

Jun 27, 2002, 4:57 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesnt matter left or right Either single sling, or looped sling. Those are your choices. Metolius sells the 4 loop gear sling which is convienent because it separates your gear nicely, but the single loop works well. If you want padding, just look for a sling with alot of cushion. I have an ABC sling and it works well. Some people even prefer to just rack their gear on an over the shoulder sling. It's just all your preferance

natec

Jun 27, 2002, 5:39 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For trad or aid? Honestly, for trad, you will probably try several of them before you settle on something. Pick one you like and try to visualize how you will rack and what kind of sling will work the best for you. Buy the one you think is best.

I have a black diamond adjustable that I'm not using. If you would like to try it out for a while, I'll send it to you in good faith that I'll get it back.

elmosity

Jul 8, 2002, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used a single loop sling but have mopved to the multi loop metolius. The gear was getting too bunched up with only one loop. I had problems with it swinging forward so I added the attachment an this stabilizes it a bit. You can also use 5 or 6mm cord instead of the metolius attachment.

mikedano

Jul 8, 2002, 10:05 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if you're just starting out you should just get whatever is cheapest. The more you use a gear sling, the more you'll come to understand what you want. Maybe the simplest thing is what you'll end up liking.

I have a padded sling with no separate loops. It works relatively well.

crux_clipper

Jul 9, 2002, 2:09 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know how you can prefer a gear sling! i have tried it before, and found that gear became tangled, and on overhanging routes, swung out from my back, and i had to really reach for gear. it's much easier on gear loops on your harness.

climberdee

Jul 10, 2002, 10:29 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with all of the above...try several things and see what works for you before you spend money on a specialty sling. Some options:

a) Clip all your gear to your harness loops (you'll quickly find the organization scheme you like the best)
b) Clip your gear to a sewn sling that fits over your shoulder (also recommended for the 2nd who cleans the route)
c) Some combination of a) and b).

You may find you like b) best in which case purchase of a special sling would be worthwhile. However, if you like a) best, then you will have saved yourself enough cash to at least buy a few biners!

beyond_gravity

Jul 10, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got an Arc'Teryx sling for $5 at a gear swap. How big are they suppost to be? This one comes down to where my rib cage ends on the side. Is this too small or is it right?

woodse

Jul 10, 2002, 11:59 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Metolius multi-loop gear sling, it has the 4 loops on one side and then 1 loop on the other. I love it, gear is extremely accesible and the loops keep it organized.

woodsE

genlock

Jul 11, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's an idea..

Instead of buying a gear sling with loops.. why not try to build one out of 1"webbing, 3 or 4 millimeters cord and 4 peices of 1' (more or less.. suit to taste)PVC soft tubing (like those you find in aquariums) just large enough to pass the small 3-4 mill rope in it. Daisy chain it with overhands between PVC peices ( don't forget to put stopper knots on webbing on each extremity of the webbing ( where you'll attach cord to webbing so the loop will stay put) And water knots both extremity of webbing.. voila!

( I haven't done this yet.. I tought of it while reading this thread)

So.. this way, you'll know if a single sling or a more "elaborate" sling suits you... the good thing with this home made one.. you don't like it, untie it and you'll have some spare stuff that you could use to enhance your harness instead (adding loops) or creat little loop for storage ( I do that to sort my equipment, easyer to see if something is missing..)

- Genlock

I'm at work right now.. but if some of you need a drawing for more explanation, let me know.. I'll draw something and post it here.

[ This Message was edited by: genlock on 2002-07-10 18:15 ]

camsticker

Jul 11, 2002, 9:06 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Woodse....Plus you look like PTPP when your wearing your sling! What a BONUS

rocknpowda

Jul 11, 2002, 9:38 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is important to get a sling that is also a full strength runner so if you have to set an anchor and are out of slings, you can use the rack.

I've used metolious slings with a single loop and the one with separate loops. I didn't like the one with multiple loops because the gates of the biners got caught up on the loops as I was removing gear from the rack, especially the back loops. You also can't quickly re-rack too many wrong-sized pieces on the front of the rack before that first loop is at max capacity. You also can't see the gear on the back loops as well. A single loop sling lets the gear swing around but at least when your in a squeeze chim you can pull all the pieces into your lap where you can see them. With a sectioned sling, the pieces in the back stay in the back . . . leaving you totally bummed if the piece you need is wedged between you and the rock back there.

I use an old A5 shoulder type sling (raffle score at the Pocatello Pump-thankyou A5) with two loops and it seems to work fine. It can be attached with webbing to another sling to make a decent double gear sling for aiding too.

elvislegs

Jul 11, 2002, 9:52 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thread drift . . .

Natec ... You are A FRICKIN' STUD! How many people just offer total strangers free loaner gear on line at the mere suggestion that they are considering a purchase? By my count, only one. Way to represent the mentality of climbing! I think the water in Yosemite must have something in it that makes you cool and generous. Virtual beer for ya man. If you ever need something I can get, just ask.

Ok, now back to everyone telling everyone else what kind of sling they use.

elvislegs

Jul 11, 2002, 9:58 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Gear Sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I wanted to take my climbing to the next level so I had myself pierced over sixty times I now only have to clip each piece onto a different thwatch of punctured skin and I,m all set.
A hint: don't put your most frequently used pieces in the unmentionable areas, removing your shorts on a .11b off width is a biatch!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook