RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

Partner crgwhe

Jun 11, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Broke my partner...Need a new one
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few weeks ago, my regular climbing partner was in town and gives me a call. I have been trying to get him to go mountain biking for a while and this day he “borrowed” his sisters bike and was ready to ride.
I’m on my Cannondale F600; Ultra Fatty Head shock, Avid mechanical disk brakes, Shimono components, clipless pedals and light as a feather. He is riding...something….something from Wal-Mart I think. Anyway, I’m tearing down a rocky slope with a few good sized wash outs when I realize Trey’s not behind me. I stop and wait for him to catch up... Then I wait a little longer. He’s not coming so I ride back to find him.
First I saw a familiar bike wheel attached to a set of broken front forks. A little further is the rest of the bike and Trey walking in circles holding his left hand with blood and scrape marks on his left shoulder. Needless to say, he crashed hard.
He not only broke his sisters “prized” mountain bike, but also his hand. After a few x-rays, it was found he split two finger bones. Not a straight across break, but a split length wise following the bones. One between the first and second knuckle of the pointer, the other break in the center of the back of his hand leading to the index finger.
He got out of surgery today where the doctors used pins, screws and metal plates to hold the bones together. Needless to say Trey’s climbing days are over. He also made it clear that he’s not ever following me on a mountain bike again.
So I could use a regular partner. I train every Monday and Wednesday from 9:00 to 11:00 PM at the Hughley Fitness Center in south Ft.Worth Texas. Monday is sport climbing day and Wednesday is whatever comes up; technique, weighted harness, burnouts, campus board, whatever.
By the way, I’m not the most experienced climber out there. But I have never climbed with anyone with more experience than myself. And I believe that in itself is limiting my ability to improve in technique. Not that I mind showing n00bs the ropes. I’m just burned out on being the instructor all the time.
Any takers? PM me.

e_free

Jul 23, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Re: Broke my partner...Need a new one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He got out of surgery today where the doctors used pins, screws and metal plates to hold the bones together. Needless to say Trey’s climbing days are over. He also made it clear that he’s not ever following me on a mountain bike again.

I have a screw in my hand also, and 3.5 months after surgery, I have just begun to climb again. I wouldn't say your buddy's climbing days are over...although they may be over with YOU judging by his lack of willingness to mountain bike with you again (although I'm not sure how any of his unfortunate incident was your fault).

Good luck! :wink:

joshklingbeil

Jul 23, 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two of climbing my partners have broke this last month. One on the 3rd and one on the 17th. Either I'm too hard on them or their too weak.

ihategrigris

Jul 24, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first read the topic, I saw:

Broke my rope; need a new partner.

Partner crgwhe

Jul 24, 2005, 2:32 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I have a screw in my hand also, and 3.5 months after surgery, I have just begun to climb again. I wouldn't say your buddy's climbing days are over...although they may be over with YOU judging by his lack of willingness to mountain bike with you again (although I'm not sure how any of his unfortunate incident was your fault).

Good luck! :wink:

He is trying to climb again. It ain’t working out so good. Last Wednesday he talked me into bringing all my gear so we could lead climb. I knew he wouldn’t last once on the wall and I wanted to stick to easy top rope stuff in the first place. My tendons were still sore from an intense wall workout I completed 9 days earlier.
About 1/4 a pitch and he was done climbing for the night. Since he made me drag all my sport gear along, I made him stay and belay me while I lead, then cleaned a few times.
And yes, he has made it verbally clear that he isn’t getting on a mountain bike again. That’s fine with me. Trey, you are too damn slow anyway!

Partner crgwhe

Jul 24, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When I first read the topic, I saw:

Broke my rope; need a new partner.
This is why one shouldn't drink and surf.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook