RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

slackersrock

Jun 15, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Slanted 'Biners?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a friend who recently purchased his first slackline. He is not a patient individual, so instead of buying a packaged slackline, or waiting for me to help buy the equipment, he went to a local outdoors store alone and got his first slackline by himself.

He ended up with carabiners that are slanted. That is to say that the ends of the carabiners, that the slackline runs across, are not perpendicular to the sides of the carabiner. Rather they come off at 45 degree angles. (Sorry I don't know the correct terminology)

He set it up anyway and it seemed to work well, except for the fact that as he pulled the line tight it kind of warped his line a little. To clarify: the line right past the biners was wavy and twisted 'cause of the angle it was coming off of.

Is this bad?
Will this hurt the line? the biners? my friend?
He's asked my opinion and I hadn't a clue. (I've slacklined for a while but only on straight carabinered lines)

Anyone?

landgolier

Jun 15, 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slanted 'Biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Short answer: if they're full strength climbing biners, you're fine.

Long/grumpy answer: Do us all a favor and either go in the gear guide on this site or go to any gear shop on the net (www.gearexpress.com will work) and find some biners that look like what you're talking about. I'm guessing that they're D biners, and I'm also guessing that they're BD light D's or omega standard D's since your friend probably bought the cheapest ones in the store. So yeah, they're fine, but there are better biners that won't bunch up your line as much and cost every bit of 50 cents more

slackersrock

Jun 15, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the gear site you listed and found out what kind they were (sorry about the tardy information), and you were right on. They are BD light D's.

So they're fine? Great! I'll tell him. The "bunching" of the line really isn't bad for it though? No permanent detrimental effects? Just want to be sure...

Thanks

menotyou

Jun 15, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So they're fine? Great! I'll tell him. The "bunching" of the line really isn't bad for it though? No permanent detrimental effects? Just want to be sure...
Thanks

The bunching of the line is fine and won't cause any problems. Your webbing is going to be a little wrinkled when you pull it apart, but there is nothing wrong with that. Just be sure that you never use slack lining equipment for climbing. My slack line consists of junk biners I found on various climbs and I don't ever set high lines, so I'm not too worried about one failing on me. The worst that could happen is someone gets hit by a flying biner (severs them right for breaking my line).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook