RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

sad_digital

Jun 15, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #1 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Metcalfe Rock Location
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am taking some novice climbers out and I heard metcalfe was a good place to do this. I am having a hard time finding out what town it is in. Does anyone know? I also need camping no farther then a half hour from there if anyone has a suggestion for that.

geezergecko

Jun 15, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Re: Metcalfe Rock Location [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Area.php?AreaID=1233
Metcalfe Rock, Ontario, Canada (somebody should move this thread to Canada, eh?)

Partner macherry

Jun 15, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from General to Canada.

tradnomad

Jun 16, 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(somebody should move this thread to Canada, eh?)

Um, I thought this was the "Looking for Partners in Canada" forum...

This should really be in the regional discussions form... eh?

granite_grrl

Jun 16, 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
(somebody should move this thread to Canada, eh?)

Um, I thought this was the "Looking for Partners in Canada" forum...

This should really be in the regional discussions form... eh?

Yes, but there are many more people that peek in the Canadian partner form than the regional discussions form. Questions about Canadian locations pop up pretty frequently in the partners form.

geezergecko

Jun 16, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You go tell 'em grrl! :)

The regional forums have become inconvenient (ie. a royal pain to navigate) ever since the last major software upgrade. This has since become the forum for all things Canadian.

*thriller*
Deleted

Jun 16, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The area "canada" is kindof broad for looking for partners anyways. Maybe the forum could be subdivided to at least west and east.

for the topic at hand, Metcalf Rock is near Kolipore, which you likely won't find on the map. Kolipore is near Ravenna (maybe on the map) which is a bit north of Feversham. there's camping at craigleith prov park, but it's expensive. not sure where else locally though. my gf has relatives in the area so we usually don't have to worry about it. hope that helps you out.

Ian

sad_digital

Jun 16, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I have no idea what the rest of the "Canadian" thing is about but the rest of the info helped. Thanks!

jumpingrock

Jun 16, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The area "canada" is kindof broad for looking for partners anyways. Maybe the forum could be subdivided to at least west and east.

for the topic at hand, Metcalf Rock is near Kolipore, which you likely won't find on the map. Kolipore is near Ravenna (maybe on the map) which is a bit north of Feversham. there's camping at craigleith prov park, but it's expensive. not sure where else locally though. my gf has relatives in the area so we usually don't have to worry about it. hope that helps you out.

Ian

Would your gf and yourself be willing to take my gf and myself up to said relitives for a weekend sometime this summer? We really need to get out sometime before I head back west. Nimbus is still calling your name, though I think I got that move dialed :-)

ecocliffchick

Jun 17, 2005, 1:38 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have one of the two guidebooks?

Obviously not because there are directions in the books...

A better question would be - How do expect to find appropriate climbs and the grades of these routes without the guidebook?

darkside

Jun 17, 2005, 2:03 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

We really need to get out sometime before I head back west. Nimbus is still calling your name, though I think I got that move dialed :-)
Yes we do.... (although I know you were talking to Ian there).

Nimbus calls many names :o Is nimbus calling Ian's name or David's name? (methinks it is calling David's name softly). :twisted:

I'm heading to Kroker and Lionshead this weekend if you're interested? On the Canada Day weekend, I'm custodian and boat driver at the BE hut, come check it out. Call me.

*thriller*
Deleted

Jun 19, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

David
Sounds good - though i don't know when. i've been crazy busy with work recently. we'll have to set something up at some time.

Jut to hijack a little more...
Hey Grant - what's the deal with Bon Echo anyways - do you have to be an ACC member to climb there, or use the hut, or get a boat ride? How's that all work?

Ian

granite_grrl

Jun 20, 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #13 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Grant - what's the deal with Bon Echo anyways - do you have to be an ACC member to climb there, or use the hut, or get a boat ride? How's that all work?

Ian

The hut can be used by anyone, but if you're not a member then it's $20 a day, ACC members stay for $10 a day.

If you're planning on heading there for the weekend you have to call by Thursday to make arrangments to get picked up at the dock.

For these, and many other details visit:
http://www.climbers.org/bonecho/bonecho.html :P

*thriller*
Deleted

Jun 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen the ACC page, so I guess what I was really wondering is if anyone can just rent a kayak and tie it up at the base of a climb after signing in with the park or not, and if the fee for access to the hut includes the boat rides to and from the climbs. From what I understand, you don't have to be an ACC member or use the hut, it just makes things a lot more convenient, right? I'm hoping to get up there once or twice this year at some point.

Ian

tradnomad

Jun 20, 2005, 1:19 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've seen the ACC page, so I guess what I was really wondering is if anyone can just rent a kayak and tie it up at the base of a climb after signing in with the park or not

Yup, you can bring your own boat or swim across and it's free. But it can be a little chilly if you decide to swim in late October :shock:

granite_grrl

Jun 20, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thiller - Anyone can rent a boat, paddle to the cliff and climb, but there are designated decent routes. You can't just rappel from the route you just did and get back to your boat, you'll have to either head to one of the areas where the decent routes are next to the climb, have someone else pick up your boat and bring it to the decent routes, or swim back to get your boat (if you can find some place by the climb to even tie it up).

You don't have to stay at the cabin to have use of the ACC boat, but that being the most expensive thing about running the hut I was told that it's the same cost to use the boat for the day whether you stay at the hut or not. The fee for staying at the hut does include boat ride, but you pay per day that you use the boat, not per night that you stay near the hut (ie - you head up Sat morning, climb Saturday being chauffered by the ACC boat, then stay overnight Sat night and climb Sunday.....so you pay for both Saturday and Sunday even though you only stayed overnight for one night).

At least that's how it was all explained to me when I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Hope I wasn't too confusing.

darkside

Jun 20, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Re: BE thread hijack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Ian

The hut can be used by anyone, but if you're not a member then it's $20 a day, ACC members stay for $10 a day.

If you're planning on heading there for the weekend you have to call by Thursday to make arrangments to get picked up at the dock.

For these, and many other details visit:
http://www.climbers.org/bonecho/bonecho.html :P
Thanks for putting that link Rebecca.
Ian - just to elaborate a little, while not all your party have to be ACC members at the hut, I believe the rule is that at least one person should be. Some people in the club think that visitors should join for subsequent visits though, as the hut is one of the benefits of membership. While this is not strictly required, the fact that hut fees are weighted against non-members means a trip up on a long weekend and a second regular weekend and you would be saving money by joining the Toronto section.

In reply to:
I've seen the ACC page, so I guess what I was really wondering is if anyone can just rent a kayak and tie it up at the base of a climb after signing in with the park or not, and if the fee for access to the hut includes the boat rides to and from the climbs. From what I understand, you don't have to be an ACC member or use the hut, it just makes things a lot more convenient, right? I'm hoping to get up there once or twice this year at some point.

Ian
The ACC fees do indeed include the use of the boat. It is in fact the boat use that is the larger part of the fees which is why it is a per day fee as opposed to a per night fee. (Climb two days, stay overnight = 2 day fees and not 1 night fee. That is why many people go up the night before and relax, use the hut etc.)

To climb at the cliff, independant of the ACC (no hut, no boat, etc) there is no requirement to be an ACC member. There is however an Ontario Parks requirement that you enter via the park gatehouse and register with the park before climbing. The Park/ACC MOU provides the exception to this rule because of the stewardship the ACC shows for the cliff. So basically you should climb via the ACC or the provincial park. Also you would quite likely have to pay either day use fees or camping fees with the park and they may well be more than the ACC fees.

So not only do you get chauffered to your climb, picked up, use of the hut/facilities, camping, beta, (a very good hut custodian on the Canada Day weekend :roll: ) but being an ACC member is quite likely the cheapest option.

Another consideration is that while you can use a canoe to reach the base of climbs that start from the water, the rising traverse nature of most climbs (following fault lines) and limited rappel ban means that once you followed a descent, you would have to have one person swim back to your boat/canoe.

A final very important note is that access to climb at BE is renewed on an annual basis and could be rescinded at any time. That is why it is vitally important to not only familiarize yourselves with the park rules, but also to follow them. You may think the ACC custodian is being a stickler with the rules but it is because we are such good stewards that we not only have access but a good working relationship with park management. Regardless of whether you choose to go with the ACC or through the park, you should know and follow THE PARK RULES.

Climb safe and have fun. Call me early if you are coming up on my weekend as I'll be out of touch by midweek.
Grant

jumpingrock

Jun 21, 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ian and Grant - I am only in town until Aug 20. So that leaves June 25/26 (going to Ottawa) July 30/1/2/3 (Bon Echo) July 9/10 (canoe trip w/ gf's friends :?) July 16/17 (Staying local) July 23/24 (Open) July 29/30/31/1 (open) Aug 6/7 (staying local) Aug 13/14 (Packing) Aug 20 - Sep 7 Rooooooaaadddd trip to Squamish :-)

So that pretty much only leaves two open weekends July 23/24 and then the August Long weekend. I would like to go somewhere a little exotic for the long weekend so perhaps down to the states, not sure where the best place would be for my last eastern road trip for a couple of years. Perhaps head up to Lion's Head for July 23/24th? Lemme know when you guys are available. I will also be out at the escarpment as many weeknights as I can manage. :-)

Cheers

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook