RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lvclimbingbum

Jun 16, 2005, 9:46 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Goin' to Cali
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm gonna be leaving for Escondido tomorrow, and won't be able to live without climbing. I printed out directions to the Vertical Hold Climbing Gym, but would like to climb outdoors too.

Any of you know a good place to climb not far away (more that 40 miles) from Escondido. I checked the routes database, but don't know where to go. I need some good suggestions. Maybe I could meet somebody at the gym sometime.

You can PM me or email me at localclimbingbum@yahoo.com. I may not be able to check my mail for a day or two. It just depends on how nice the hotel is.

thanks a lot,
george

jt512

Jun 16, 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Re: Goin' to Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm gonna be leaving for Escondido tomorrow, and won't be able to live without climbing. I printed out directions to the Vertical Hold Climbing Gym, but would like to climb outdoors too.

Any of you know a good place to climb not far away (more that 40 miles) from Escondido. I checked the routes database, but don't know where to go.

Well, you need to go more than 40 miles. The best local summer sport climbing is Williamson Rock and the best summer trad is at Tahquitz/Suicide. Get a copy of the just-published 3rd edition of Southern California Sport Climbing by Troy Mayr, available at fixeusa.com/books, for an overview of the local sport climbing scene.

-Jay

asandh

Jun 16, 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

pbjosh

Jun 16, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely check Art's site for local options. If you choose cooler days or are good with morning or evening sessions there's local climbing but it's still suboptimal in the summer. For easier climbing Dixon and Mission Gorge are the better choices. For harder stuff (bouldering and hard TRs) I really prefer Woodson.

Williamson, Tahquitz, Suicide, Holcomb Valley, Frustration Creek and many other crags are great summer destinations to escape heat and climb all day, but are all 2-3 hours away.

hosebeats

Jun 16, 2005, 3:18 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More and more stuff is put up at El Cajon Mtn all the time, Valley of the Moon, Corte Madra, and definlty Woodson. Lot's of places to head out on a nice weekend trip. Vertical Hold is a decent gym, the staff can be a bit strange to new people sometimes.

Just my thoughts

asandh

Jun 16, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook