RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cwbs_baby

Jun 14, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #1 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Overcoming vertigo
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a brand new climber - I've done top rope about 5 times now. I have already discovered something kind of frustrating - I get vertigo. I don't get it when I look down, I only get it when I am climbing somewhere at high elevation that has sweeping views over, say, a valley or a city below (Santa Barbara climbers: I am talking Gibraltar here). I feel exposed and am instantly drained of all energy and willpower. I can't even look in the direction of the view, even to look on the rock for a handhold.

Any suggestions on overcoming this, other than keeping climbing till I get used to it (that may take a long time and a lot of disappointment)?

Thanks!
:shock:

overlord

Jun 14, 2005, 4:54 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Re: Overcoming vertigo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe you should try visualization techniques. jsut visualize how youre climbing a scary 8in your case exposed) route and feel the vertigo coming and then you succesfully overcome it.

other options include proffesional assistance such as hypnosis and stuff like that.

another thing to do is is to climb easy and vertigish stuff. and listen to u2 :P

climbs4fun

Jun 14, 2005, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds potentially dangerous to me. I would stick to climbs that don't have those views that trigger the vertigo until you get it under control.

mgoodro

Jun 14, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I overcame my (relatively mild) vertigo through peak bagging.

I second the visualization notion. I've heard of people overcoming similar difficulties through meditiation and visualization. With a good calming and focus routine established you should be able to call on (trigger) that calming when you need it on the rock.

Good luck.

saltamonte

Jun 14, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #5 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have only climbed 5 topropes that maybe you just started alittle too big. The vertigo is coming from your uncomfortableness with your surroundings. so if you enjoy climbing and want to continue without vertigo try scaling back. to climbs in gyms shorter outdoor climbs. while you get your self comfortable with what it is like to climb. I truely believe that as your number of climbs begin to reach a point where you start to lose count your vertigo will also fade away.

the key is to aclimate yourself. do what it is you are comfortable with as many times as possible and slowly increase

flipnfall

Jun 14, 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #6 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for over 20 years and it took me 5 years to get use to the heights. You'd never believe it if you met me now, but I was terrified. My advice is to climb areas that make you comfortable until you are use to them. Don't climb with thrill-seeking friends who may push you too much and make for a bad experience.

Not everyone reacts to heights the same. I had a friend that was undaunted by heights from the very beginning and happily led many climbs where he fell (constantly). I finally just started forcing myself to lead climb all the time and eventually was able to shut off my "fear switch" and focus on the climb, not the heights.

Just keep going, be safe and time will help you get over it.

GT

chadnsc

Jun 14, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #7 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with what everyone else has been suggesting for you to overcome your discomfort with heights. I would also make sure that your aren't suffering from actual vertigo (an inner ear problem). Good luck.

zozo

Jun 14, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree with what everyone else has been suggesting for you to overcome your discomfort with heights. I would also make sure that your aren't suffering from actual vertigo (an inner ear problem). Good luck.

I was going to say this to. No doubt it's splitting hairs but it sounds like you are having panic attacks and not vertigo.

The only way Ive found to get over it? Constant exposure to what causes it. I still can get that feeling, but Ive had it so often from doing so much climbing that I EXPECT to get it and know it is just going to pass in a second or two.

shiggetyshiva

Jun 14, 2005, 4:19 PM
Post #9 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's frustrating, I bet!

Here's my 2 cents as a doctoral student in psychology...

1) Learn and practice some basic relaxation techniques, such as diaphragmatic breathing. The more you can practice relaxing when you're NOT in a stressful situation, the better you'll eventually become at then applying those relaxation skills when you ARE climbing.

2) Climb with a partner you trust 100% to be safe (and belay you properly).

3) The next few times you climb, talk to your climbing partner about this (if you haven't already), so he or she knows what you're dealing with up there.

4) Perhaps most importantly, gradually expose yourself to greater and greater heights on an easy climb. For instance, on a toprope, climb up 6 feet, and have your belayer lock you off. Sit back in your harness and chill out there, do your deep breathing, and just relax. When you feel perfectly comfortable, climb a few more feet, and repeat this process.

5) After you've done this several times, then move on to taking controlled falls on toprope and letting your belayer catch you. Again, starting down low and working your way up.

Good luck!
:)

keithlester
Deleted

Jun 15, 2005, 1:09 PM
Post #10 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first up, dont be ahamed or think youre not cool for being scared. Its your self-preservation instincts working properly. Over a period of time, you begin to get more confident as your judgement and your skill improve. Eventually you can rationalise the situation and decide if you feel safe or not. All climbers go through this process, some dont admit it, but its mostly shallow people who want to impress who will tell you they never feel vulnerable up a rock face, when the scenery is so far away. Make the feelings work for you, focus on what matters, its a great way to forget your other-life troubles.

reg

Jun 15, 2005, 2:34 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all my life i suffered with fear of heights. couldn't even approach an edge. when i started climbing i did not think i would continue for long - 40' gym walls had me shakin! out on the rock i smiled a lot but was not happy. but i enjoyed climbing, the gear and the sense of accomplishment. so i muddled on beggin partners to be safe. i studied literature about fall factors, material strenth, load generation and what stuff could handle, anchor building etc. eventually i gained a lot of confidence in the gear and that's when I turned the corner. i still do elvis from time to time though. Josh (Seneca Mtn. Guides) was guiding steve and i. he had us at a small ledge hangin on the bolts but i would not lean back on the sling and relax. "lean back - you'll be ok. i'm fine here. no - Lean Back! i'm alright. i want you to lean back! ok (leanin back)" that was another hurdle for me. point is the fear is natural and automatic for some folks (my wife stood right up her first time on top of the headwall at nelsons - i was crawling like a baby) but irrational cause you got well placed SERNE gear - you ain't goin nowhere. give it time you'll come around.

reg

Jun 15, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all my life i suffered with fear of heights. couldn't even approach an edge. when i started climbing i did not think i would continue for long - 40' gym walls had me shakin! out on the rock i smiled a lot but was not happy. but i enjoyed climbing, the gear and the sense of accomplishment. so i muddled on beggin partners to be safe. i studied literature about fall factors, material strenth, load generation and what stuff could handle, anchor building etc. eventually i gained a lot of confidence in the gear and that's when I turned the corner. i still do elvis from time to time though. Josh (Seneca Mtn. Guides) was guiding steve and i. he had us at a small ledge hangin on the bolts but i would not lean back on the sling and relax. "lean back - you'll be ok. i'm fine here. no - Lean Back! i'm alright. i want you to lean back! ok (leanin back)" that was another hurdle for me. point is the fear is natural and automatic for some folks (my wife stood right up her first time on top of the headwall at nelsons - i was crawling like a baby) but irrational cause you got well placed SERNE gear - you ain't goin nowhere. give it time you'll come around.

renohandjams

Jun 17, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They best way is to fall! Seriously, the more you fall the more comfortable you get of the "unknown" an you learn to trust the heights and the gear. It's alright to fall, just make sure you keep your gear safe etc...

-Kenny
------------------------
TradRack.com SuperStore
Free Email Accounts, yourname@TradRack.com, only 100 to give
Click here to see if you name is available

slackman

Jun 19, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They best way is to fall! Seriously, the more you fall the more comfortable you get of the "unknown" an you learn to trust the heights and the gear. It's alright to fall, just make sure you keep your gear safe etc...

The thought of intentionally falling.. i dunno.. seems rather fuXX0rD to me...

http://holeinthewall.shacknet.nu/...er/make_it_count.jpg

But in reply to the original poster.. climbing's definately a mind game as well as being very muscle intensive. It'll just take time for you to get a feel.. or lack thereof (in the case of vertigo) for it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook