Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbingkidd

Jun 20, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #1 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Amazing stuff
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey anybody here do parkour? Check out this video of The inventor of the sport David Belle at http://www.big-boys.com/articles/amazingjumper.html

If you liked that you should check out these sites
http://www.screwgravity.com
http://www.buildering.net (also covers buildering, climbing on buildings)
http://www.urban-climbing.com (Pretty sweet parkour and buildering videos)

Before you all start going off on me about how this is a climbing site, and I shouldn't be here. Let me tell you I am a climber, and love climbing, but am also trying to get people into Parkour. I first heard of parkour on this site. :D

Let me know what you think of the vid.

imfromwales

Jun 20, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #2 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Re: Amazing stuff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the big-boys one its cool. I cant seem to find anymore vids on the other sites :?:

bensnyder

Jun 20, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend (non-climber) was telling me about this video! Of course, I didn't know it was this same video at the time and never ended up looking at it until now, but all I can say is thats some pretty sick shit (regardless of how unrelated to climbing it is).

boulderer420

Jun 20, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #4 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That vid was crazy cool, those guys have huge balls! So, while there I was doin some link surfing and ended up at this guys site. http://www.alainrobert.com/en/portrait.htm Can some one give me the low-down on this guy, he seems to be absolutely nutty. Is this the norm for free-soloers. Its like he's got a death wish, but not cuz he's obviously a crazy strong climber.

kubi

Jun 20, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #5 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey anybody here do parkour? Check out this video of The inventor of the sport David Belle at http://www.big-boys.com/...s/amazingjumper.html

If you liked that you should check out these sites
http://www.screwgravity.com
http://www.buildering.net (also covers buildering, climbing on buildings)
http://www.urban-climbing.com (Pretty sweet parkour and buildering videos)

Before you all start going off on me about how this is a climbing site, and I shouldn't be here. Let me tell you I am a climber, and love climbing, but am also trying to get people into Parkour. I first heard of parkour on this site. :D

Let me know what you think of the vid.

overxposure

Jun 21, 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #6 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That stuff looks pretty rad. Saw something on Law and Order the other night and some guy that died was doing that stuff. This video definately made it look a lot cooler.

Ry

climbingkidd

Jun 21, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #7 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like the big-boys one its cool. I cant seem to find anymore vids on the other sites :?:

Well buildering.net only has one movie called Van PK (if you scroll down you should see a link to it, where you can download it. Screwgravity.com
has a link to their videos on their top bar, and Urban-climbing.com
is a bit confusing, first you have to pick your language english or french (english for me) then it takes you to their home page where you should be able to find a link to their videos on the sidebar, only problem is all the videos are labled in french, so I just randomly pick one. Hope this helps! :D

climbingkidd

Jun 21, 2005, 3:17 AM
Post #8 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That vid was crazy cool, those guys have huge balls! So, while there I was doin some link surfing and ended up at this guys site. http://www.alainrobert.com/en/portrait.htm Can some one give me the low-down on this guy, he seems to be absolutely nutty. Is this the norm for free-soloers. Its like he's got a death wish, but not cuz he's obviously a crazy strong climber.

Yeah Alain Robert may seem a little bit crazy, but he definetely doesn't have a death wish he's just doing what he loves to do, (don't get me wrong I think he's a little wacky for climbing up 50 story buildings without rope!) and belive it or not this guy gets paid for what he does, not your average job. But hey gotta provide for your wife and 3 kids Some how. But Frenchman Alain Robert has climbed many buildings without rope, and has not fallen... yet. check out www.urban-climbing.com for a video of one of his solos, labled Spiderman Solo. DONT EVER TRY WHAT YOU SEE.

boulderer420

Jun 21, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #9 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so is he just another free-soloer or is he on another level than most? It is obvious that he is very good at what he does. Props.

Partner csgambill

Jun 21, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #10 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually saw a documentary on TV about these guys. Very sweet stuff. It makes me feel out of shape. :)

keinangst

Jun 21, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #11 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The kids in Orlando apparently do a shallow imitation of parkour called "garage jumping". They jump between downtown parking garages.

I think the goal is for the to get really hurt or killed, then have their idiot parents sue the owner of the building and the city. So far, everything's pending but it sounds promising!! 8^)

gqsmooth

Jun 21, 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #12 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

weren't these guys in some commercials or something? i think they were parkouring while being chased, i forget....anyways the stuff is mad sick, if anyone gets anymore vids i'd love to check them out....

gqsmooth

Jun 21, 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #13 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

found it. there were three nike ads using parkour. one was the guys being chased by a chicken, another an angry cat, and the last i forget. try google-ing David Belle as well as Sebastien Foucan. unfortunately there are no vidoes on David Belle's site and you have to be able to stumble through french to navigate it...

haplo

Jun 21, 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #14 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those guys are from france. They are a group calling themselves Jamakazi. They started in the late 90s but I am not sure whether they still exist. There was a (pretty bad) movie about them.

cmacblue42

Jun 22, 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #15 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i saw the vid a long time ago on gprime and i thought it was amazing, then i reaserched into it and found out it was a communtiy and not just one crazy guy jumping buildings. i always thought if you could do that you could get away fromt he cops any day...... if u had to. i was thinking about doin it but there is no place do do it really where i live

rickrock77

Jun 22, 2005, 1:24 PM
Post #16 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Amazing? just kill yourselves and get it over and done with. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if you care about your life as much as these guys dont, you should die tomorrow. To many people die without having a chance, such as those killed in bombings and car crashes and so on.. I think the friends and family of those people would be wishing it had been someone else, because all you hear is how these people loved life etc..

So to the kids out there doing this buildering, and all that stuff, why dont you just end your life now and get over the wait, whats the point of waiting if you really dont care?

By the way I would like to thank all the people oversea's in the forces, giving their lives to stop terrorism. We may not all agree, but that aside, their are a lot of good men and woman willing to die for their country in order to keep us safe. I think that, is worth LIVING for.

rickrock77

Jun 22, 2005, 1:26 PM
Post #17 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Amazing? just kill yourselves and get it over and done with. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if you care about your life as much as these guys dont, you should die tomorrow. To many people die without having a chance, such as those killed in bombings and car crashes and so on.. I think the friends and family of those people would be wishing it had been someone else, because all you hear is how these people loved life etc..

So to the kids out there doing this buildering, and all that stuff, why dont you just end your life now and get over the wait, whats the point of waiting if you really dont care?

By the way I would like to thank all the people oversea's in the forces, giving their lives to stop terrorism. We may not all agree, but that aside, their are a lot of good men and woman willing to die for their country in order to keep us safe. I think that, is worth LIVING for.

nomad

Jun 22, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #18 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Re: Amazing? just kill yourselves and get it over and done w [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com is a UK based site dedicated to Parkour. Saw a documentary about it one night featuring a french dude called Sebastien Foucan. The guy jumped the Gap in the top of the Millenium Stadium in Wales, of course it wasn't opened fully cause thats huge but it was open a good bit.

Stu

boulderer420

Jun 22, 2005, 1:57 PM
Post #19 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C'mon guy, don't get so cynical. These guys don't want to die as to what I am watching, maybe they want to break their legs but not kill themselves. Actually I'm sure that if you were to ask them they would tell you that they are doin that for just the opposite reasons. Why do you rock climb? Because its something that you love to do and it makes you feel good while doing it. Why would you rain on their parade and any one else's considering getting into this sport. What if someone had said to you about climbing what you just said about Parkouring? Its life its meant to be lived, thats why the troops are dying for us.

Peace,

-Travis

rickrock77

Jun 22, 2005, 2:34 PM
Post #20 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok point taken. It was a bit heavy.
But just because I climb doesnt mean I dont take pre-cautions.

The chances of me dieing whilst climbing are almost 0%. I only top rope at the moment so no sport or trad yet. I may think differently when I do sport and trad and have to decide about pushing to the next bolt or protection....

Partner nostalgia

Jun 22, 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #21 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But just because I climb doesnt mean I dont take pre-cautions.
And I'm sure they do, too. Practice and experience tell them what they can and can't do. I'm willing to bet the don't just jump around willy-nilly without evaluating what they're going to attack first.

In reply to:
The chances of me dieing whilst climbing are almost 0%.
Now there's an attitude that will get you killed.

Telling people to get it over with and die because they're doing dangerous things is pretty ridiculous. I could very well get killed crossing the street, plugging in my toaster or going skydiving. I still do all of these things.

-Joe

climbingkidd

Jun 22, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #22 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quote]
And I'm sure they do, too. Practice and experience tell them what they can and can't do. I'm willing to bet the don't just jump around willy-nilly without evaluating what they're going to attack first.

Exactly, of course these guys don't just run around and jump across huge gaps without knowing what they're doing. These guys are on a much higher level than most tracers. They 've been practicing for years, and if you watch the videos you'll notice they no how to land so they don't hurt themselves, If you want to get into parkour take it slow don't try to do what those guys do on your first day. Or you will end up dead

superdiamonddave

Jun 22, 2005, 5:32 PM
Post #23 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice links. Thanks for posting them.

Dave

rickrock77

Jun 23, 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #24 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:

No. you can rationalise it all you like and sugar coat it all you like. The difference between what these people do, and what I do when top roping and climbing in a gym can not be compared. If you think that than your sense of responsibility is much less than I would have thought.

Dont give me all that, "they are trained professionals" type talk, you may not be saying it but you are implying it. And where do you practice this stuff in a safe environment ay? Do these guys take responsibilty for their actions after others view it on the website? No. They could at leaste have a disclaimer like, "Dont try this at home" or something.

How do you think the paramedics feel when they have to pick these guys up after they are injured? Think they feel good?
"Hey so we got another kid trying to fly like superman, gee thats, super?"...

I respect your opinion, and agree their are basic similarities in risks, yes we all take risks, corssing the road and the others you pointed out.

But what activities become riskier becaause of how you do it?
Climbing is a lot safer sport and toprop and indoor than trad and soloing.

I wonder how many kids watch this and start trying to emulate the feats they see? Ignore everything else in this post ande tell me, how do you take responisbility for those kids? Just answer that for me.

And Lastly, I read on the website that one of the kids died doing his thing. His parents said to the website that he died doing what he loved and he was an incredible athlete. They then said that they hope no one else will die, because all the well wishes in the world dont help the family to deal with it.

Peace and understanding to you and to me for both can do with more.

climbingkidd

Jun 23, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #25 of 31 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Quote:

No. you can rationalise it all you like and sugar coat it all you like. The difference between what these people do, and what I do when top roping and climbing in a gym can not be compared. If you think that than your sense of responsibility is much less than I would have thought.

Dont give me all that, "they are trained professionals" type talk, you may not be saying it but you are implying it. And where do you practice this stuff in a safe environment ay? Do these guys take responsibilty for their actions after others view it on the website? No. They could at leaste have a disclaimer like, "Dont try this at home" or something.

How do you think the paramedics feel when they have to pick these guys up after they are injured? Think they feel good?
"Hey so we got another kid trying to fly like superman, gee thats, super?"...

I respect your opinion, and agree their are basic similarities in risks, yes we all take risks, corssing the road and the others you pointed out.

But what activities become riskier becaause of how you do it?
Climbing is a lot safer sport and toprop and indoor than trad and soloing.

I wonder how many kids watch this and start trying to emulate the feats they see? Ignore everything else in this post ande tell me, how do you take responisbility for those kids? Just answer that for me.

And Lastly, I read on the website that one of the kids died doing his thing. His parents said to the website that he died doing what he loved and he was an incredible athlete. They then said that they hope no one else will die, because all the well wishes in the world dont help the family to deal with it.

Peace and understanding to you and to me for both can do with more.

I see exactly where this is coming from. No these people are not trained professionals, They didn't have any people to train them but themselves.
But they have come a very long way, and no exactly what they're doing.

And yes most websites have some sort of disclamer, but there are still kids who will go out and try to do what they see David Belle do, and yes they will probably kill, or at least injure themselves very badly.

I think the websites should have a video on how to get started in parkour,
that gives bits of advice, and shows how to do simpler moves. So kids don't go out and try to jump across huge gaps on the first day.

You can practice parkour in a gym, that's a safe enviroment, all the padding, makes it easier and safer to learn moves like the backflip.
I first learned how to do moves in a gym

The website where you read about the kids death was buildering.net
and that website does have a disclaimer, but that peticular person did not listen to it. Now he was a very talented climber, but apparently pushed beyond his limits. :cry:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : View this Website

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook