RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xclimber

Jun 22, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Hex: Curved vs Straight Sided
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are the curved sided hexes really so much better as is claimed in the most recent "Climbing" magazine review? They cite better camming action. I'm no physicist, but that doesn't hold water on an intuitive level. And what about surface contact... It would seem to be less with curved sides, and I'm thinking a la Craig Connally that Secure trumps Strong...

dirtineye

Jun 22, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hex: Curved vs Straight Sided [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's your intuition that does not hold water.

Get yourself a WC rock centric and a similar sized flat sided hex, place em a few times in the same spots, and then see if you feel the same way.

Partner gunksgoer

Jun 22, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fiddle around with a strait sided hex for a bit... youll be longing for a better alternative within minutes. Curves are the answer.

jimfix

Jun 22, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They cite better camming action. I'm no physicist, but that doesn't hold water on an intuitive level. And what about surface contact... It would seem to be less with curved sides, and I'm thinking a la Craig Connally that Secure trumps Strong...

Firstly, camming is a result of curvature. The term cam isn't originally from climbing (think cam in an engine). Flat-sided hexes won't cam, only wedge.

As for surface contact, yes a flat hex will give better contact in a flat-sided crack that it matches well. But due to the camming action of curved pieces when loaded they don't need as much surface contact to hold. Also, if the flat hex doesn't match the crack well, there will be even less contact than a curved hex. In uneven cracks, the curves help you fit around irregularities.

I'm surprised there are not BD lovers flaming the earlier posts. Flat-sided hexes are obsolete. Not unusable, but like oval beiners, there are better alternatives.

skinner

Jun 22, 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm.. as I understand it.. it's the curved nut that will normally will give you greater surface contact. As strange as that may sound, unless the rock surface is perfectly flat, the straight sides of a standard wedge will usually end up making contact with only two or three "tiny" protrusions.
As Metolius claims: "a massive placement advantage over regular, straight-sided pieces"

Partner angry

Jun 22, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I gave my hexes away a while ago, so this isn't really my issue.

I had a few metolius curved hexes and some bd normal hexes.

In absolutely every placement I thought the BD were both easier to place and looked more secure.

I doubt everyone has the same experience, that's just what it was for me.

I've never placed a rockcentric.

skinner

Jun 24, 2005, 4:38 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had a few metolius curved hexes and some bd normal hexes. In absolutely every placement I thought the BD were both easier to place and looked more secure. I doubt everyone has the same experience, that's just what it was for me. I've never placed a rockcentric.

Hrmm... you are right , because I found the exact opposite with BD and Metolius.

Has anyone every taken a fall on a Metolius curved hex and tried to get it out afterwards? Just wondering if they ALWAYS bite this good/bad.
(I almost left it there)

Just curious why you gave your hex's away?

And.. if you get the urge to part with any more of your gear..PM me :wink:

Partner tattooed_climber

Jun 24, 2005, 4:50 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use both curved nuts and flat nuts and curved hexs and flat sided hexes.....both have there better placements...but like curved nuts, curved hex's tend to place better on average.....

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook