RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

spudd

Jun 23, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #1 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Forearm pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went rock climbing for the first time Tuesday night. I really had fun, and want to do it again.

However, my forearms are KILLING me today (Thursday)! Is this normal? Should I wait until they stop hurting before climbing again? I was thinking of going climbing tonight.

bluenose

Jun 23, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #2 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Re: Forearm pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember that first time pain well...what a pump.

It's recommended that you don't stress the muscles again too soon after a heavy workout, which is what you did.

If the pain is in the muscle itself and is tolerable, then you should be OK to go, just take it easy and use the pain to remind yourself to work on your footwork. If it is more in the tendons or closer to the joints, wait it out some more. You could end up with a nagging injury that might take weeks to heal. Been there.

talus_

Jun 23, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #3 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome to climbing: here is your injury. :wink: just kidding. sounds like you have DOMS- delayed onset muscle soreness. a few days after a new workout or after intense eccentric wt lifting (muscles getting longer as they conrtact) the muscles, as you are learning, will complain. a big problem for some people who do specific weight lifting programs (like those popular with college strengthen coaches). not really known why it happens though it likely relates to muscle injury at a molecule level (actin and myosin). if you have sore forearms and nothing else (worrisome burning, sharp pains, finger pains etc) then expect to be sore tomorrow and less the next day. by saturday you will be looking for belay partner.

bler

Jun 23, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #4 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just wait till you get finger pains, tendons, joints, skin

YAY the joys of climbing ! :D

just keep with moderation from injuring yourself too badly, forearms are usually just muscles, and heal fairly quick...

take a day or two off, then go climbing again.. and do your best to not climb DAILY, giving your body a days rest after climbing is good for you, allows your body to heal and helps prevent further injuries.

welcome to the climbing community !

spudd

Jun 24, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #5 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys!

I wound up going again Thursday night, but my arms (and my partner's) were so beat we only climbed for about 45 minutes before giving up in exhaustion. Today my arms are feeling pretty good, though.

rickrock77

Jun 24, 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #6 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very important when starting out climbing, to start out warming up. do all those arm stretches and leg stretches before you climb. You cant do climbing regularly without training to some point for it. And by training I just mean a good warm up before hand, or more depending on what you decide to do.

Most important parts to warm up are forearms, you can warm them by flexing and clenching your hands and stretching that area. I actually bought a forearm strengthener from the sports shop. If you cant buy one, get a light set of weights, and hold it in your hand palm up, the flex your hand up and down. You can feel this actually working you forearms.

Other things, shoulders, really important to warm them up. First put our arms straight out, and make small and then big circles. Do this in rotating circles in both directions, untill you feel your shoulders warm up. Do some slow arm circlurar swings also.

Sit down and do a croind stretch, by having a stratight back, and presing your feet together, and pushing out your legs.

Stretch your legs also.

After all that your ready. Initially you wont notice the point in all this, but after a while or a few months you wonder why your shoulder hurts, or something, and it will be because you never warmed up, which is what happened to me, hence why I now warm up, for about 30 mins before climbing. You can do this before you leave home for climbing.

Good luck.

Partner tattooed_climber

Jun 26, 2005, 7:41 AM
Post #7 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is called tendonitis..WELCOME TO MY WORLD... :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8^) .hence the reason why i don't sport climb

robo555

Jun 27, 2005, 7:19 AM
Post #8 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As person before said, warm up helps, but if you're like who who just want to climb right away, try this.

Once every so often, do this stretch. Stick out one forearm with thumb pointing up (so it's like that robot dance move), and with your palm of the other hand bend the fingers out to the side (so left arm would have fingers being bent backwards towards the left). You should feel it working on your forearm.

I dunno what this exercise is call so can't find a pic. During the day, do that once a while and no more forearm pain, worked for me.

overlord

Jun 27, 2005, 9:43 AM
Post #9 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this is called tendonitis..WELCOME TO MY WORLD... :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8^) .hence the reason why i don't sport climb

i wouldnt call muscle fatigue tendonitis. that generally occurs after serious overuse over a longer period of time and with climbers usually occurs on finger and arm tendons and elbows and not forearms. id go with muscle inflamation on this one :wink:

bluenose

Jun 27, 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #10 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So.....why does this affect sportclimbing more than any other climbing?

overlord

Jun 28, 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #11 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

because sport climbing (and bouldering) tend to require more hard moves (meaning hard on the tendons) than other climbing. and because the routes are easy accesible and safe theres always the wish to do "just one more" that leaves you really pumped and then theres the need to go climbing the next day without enough rest and before you know youre in big trouble.

yes, other types of climbing also require hard moves, but they are not as common and the people doing them are usually more mature and experienced (i have yet to find a "climbing young" .12 trad leader) and thus know how to awoid such dangers.

bler

Jun 28, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #12 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i completley agree with overlord and have had this discussion very thuroughly with my friends as of latley..

I personally believe most people are trying to climb too hard too fast..

yes it is fun to climb hard, but at what price ?

i've been only climbing for a little over a year, but I have a perfect climbing body type and only needed to build some arm strength before I could start climbing more difficult stuff requiring grips that put a lot of stress on the tendons(cling/crimp grip). I have pulled pulley tendons in BOTH my hands as a result and have done very minimal climbing in the past few months to try and heal and it will take at least a few more weeks before I heal fully....

just be safe there and don't hurt yourself, there's nothing worse then not being able to climb, right ?

patesguy

Jun 28, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #13 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a semi-noob myself (climbing about 2-3 months now) i can tell you it will get better... let your forearms rest and go at it again! you will see that you will get stronger pretty quick... the next thing you will need to worry about is your tendons in your fingers... these guys can take months to get stronger! but keep at it and they too will improve with time... your back and forearms will get stronger quicker then your hands so work on your finger strength with dead hangs this will help... also these are small problems until you get outside and start skinning knees and ripping your fingerprints off your hand! but its the rush that gets us all out there day in and day out!

renohandjams

Jun 28, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #14 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stretch afterwards! I know it might be hard to stretch your forarms, but try. Depending on how bad it is, it can be good (your muscles are working hard and getting bigger) or it could be bad.... damage and possible tendonities. Also working out those muscles helps too.

My climbing partner got tendonitise (?sp?) in his forarm and wrist because he kept climbing even thought his forarms hurt from last time. He couldn't climb for 3 months because he wasn't willing to give it a break.

-Kenny
------------------------
TradRack.com SuperStore
Free Email Accounts, yourname@TradRack.com, only 100 to give
Click here to see if your name is available

jt512

Jun 28, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #15 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

So.....why does this affect sportclimbing more than any other climbing?

Because sport climbing actually involves hard moves.

-Jay

les

Jun 28, 2005, 8:39 PM
Post #16 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I'll never forget my first time to ever climb.... I couldnt hold the steering wheel on my drive back home, I was super pumped!

mattamatta

Jul 2, 2005, 5:52 AM
Post #17 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, that brings back memories of a couple months ago.

Strained the arms too hard during a bouldering comp trying with all my might to summon upper body strength that I just dont have. I completely killed my arm muscles, yet tried relentlessly to get off the ground from a sit start, which I can barely do anyway (gimme a year, I'll build some upper body strength, I swear!).

Felt to me like it was in the tendons. It was in the upper part of the forearm, just under the wrist, and was definitely not the same type of pain as sore muscles, and hurt in a "you shouldn't screw with this pain, leave it be" type way rarther than the "if I massage it, maybe it'll go away" way.

And of course, I ended up trying to climb every couple days, and making it take about a week to fully feel good again when it should have been a couple days =(

First couple of times can be tough on forearms and fingers.

On a somewhat related note, what kind of climbing would you guys reccomend to work more upper arm strength than forearm strength? I really need to build some upper body strength - my girlfriend pointed out to me the other day that my forearms are already the same size as my biceps!

skardiekat

Aug 15, 2005, 1:45 PM
Post #18 of 18 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay I had this same exact problem this weekend. Except I also bruised a nerve in the palm of my hand which makes me feel as if I hit my funny bone and the feeling in my fingers just won't come back. ANYHOW!! I found this great thing made by icyhot. It's a wrist wrap. It looks like a white stocking with a blue patch on it. It has the icyhot stuff in it and the sock holds it in place. They say it's for your wrist or elbow, but it totally killed the pain in my forearms. (that and a bottle of advil are my new bag buddies.)
It comes three in a box, but i reused one today with new stuff on it and it worked really well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook