Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sick_climba

Jun 24, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #26 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Re: How long until I can solo a big wall. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am currently working towards learning to aid climb and eventually doing a big wall. My dream however is to do a big wall on solo.
K bro I have never climbed much lesss soloed a big wall . But I did use to solo all the time. largest ever probaly 150 feet of a 5.5. My 2 cents deffinatly not until you completly tust your self. Best bet at acctualy surviving. No matter how much experiance you have if you don't trust your self the solo is not good! Good luck bro
Climb on
Chris

cire

Jun 24, 2005, 7:15 PM
Post #27 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first big wall was a solo of Space Shot in Zion. It was a lot of work and not really a great time. Though you feel you accomplish something in the end there is know one there to F@#$ with and have a good time with. Wall climbing to me is about hanging with the bros and having a good time. Try and pick a climb you can do in a day such as in Zion. Most classic wall climbs in Zion are short, go clean and are not to difficult C1-C3. Pick a good solo technique and practice a little on a short crack before you go. But know need to wait the only difference between having a partner and not, is having a belayer, which you can fabricate. Though if you have time to do a few wall climb before hand it will diff help speed up your tech. a little.

karlbaba

Jun 24, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #28 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My third and forth walls were solo, Prow in 1981 and Zodiac in 1982. I had tons of experience practicing on single pitch though.

Still the majority of folks fail on their first walls. It's creating quite a mess on trade routes as so many folks go up there and clog things up and flail. Make sure you know how to aid pitches in less than glacial times before you do a popular route.

Peace

Karl

ricardol

Jun 24, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #29 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

-- aww helll -- i removed my post because it was b.s. ..

ricardol

Jun 24, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #30 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am currently working towards learning to aid climb and eventually doing a big wall. My dream however is to do a big wall on solo.
K bro I have never climbed much lesss soloed a big wall . But I did use to solo all the time. largest ever probaly 150 feet of a 5.5. My 2 cents deffinatly not until you completly tust your self. Best bet at acctualy surviving. No matter how much experiance you have if you don't trust your self the solo is not good! Good luck bro
Climb on
Chris

umm -- i dont think we're talking about free-soloing ..

we're talking about rope-solo big walls.

texplorer

Jun 24, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #31 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of good input and a few useless posts.

I say start with a wall or two with a partner and then see if soloing is still what you want to do.

I had done 9 walls before I soloed the Prow a few years back. No I'm going to finally solo el cap this summer.

Everybodys different in skill level, balls, and desire. Good luck and remember your not going to be "cool" all of a sudden if you do solo a wall so do it for fun and not bragging rights.

ubotch

Jun 24, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #32 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The shorter walls in Zion would be a good idea although eventually I want the muli-day experience. Who knows, maybe I will change my mind once I do a couple of walls with a partner, but for now I doubt it.

Texplorer, don't worry I'm not doing it for the bragging rights. I'm just one of those introverted people that at times can have more fun by myself than with others. I'm sure that attempting something that huge for "impure" motives would just set me up to fail and I would be back on the ground before the first night.

In case anybody is actually wondering my original post is about roped soloing.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

sick_climba

Jun 25, 2005, 3:57 AM
Post #33 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Climb on
Chris

umm -- i dont think we're talking about free-soloing ..

we're talking about rope-solo big walls.
Ahhh ok.... got it I thought he was talking about free soloing a big wall. I thought it was pretty crazy to begin with lol. Well still make sure you trust your placements and your self! sorry about the confustion

lambone

Jun 25, 2005, 4:29 AM
Post #34 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think soloing a wall is a bit overrated...

Seems to be the cool thing to do these days...and spray about it online.

Sure it is a big accomplishment and all, and it makes you feel pretty bitchen about yourself for a while...

...when your up there alone (for me at least) it tends to get a bit lonely, and it's easy to miss having good times with great partners and friends on a wall.

Never take a good partner for granted. For me soloing is something I resort to when I can't find one.

~bone

climbhigher

Jul 10, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #35 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am with Lambone. Soloing is great as while as very Humbling.
But, the partner thing is pretty bitching. Sharing such a great experience with someone is priceless.
I only soloed one short grade 5 route - Prodigal son. And got my ass handed to me trying to solo Tangerine Trip.

I am with the rule...If you gotta ask how to rope solo. You are not ready. And should climb more with a partner first.

lazide

Jul 10, 2005, 9:17 PM
Post #36 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First wall (first anything > 4 pitches), first route in yosemite, I did Mescalito solo (and never pulled out the pin rack). In late august/early september heat hell :P

That said, it wasn't 'fun' - it was basically all 'dealing' as a couple of posts have put it. Definitely helped build character and an appreciation for the finer points of suffering - and I was spraying for about 3 mo's afterwards ;)

I had all the big wall logistics part dialed (I had practiced hauling 450lbs of sandbags for months in the gym, cleaned overhung gym bolt ladders, etc.), and I had put up a single pitch aid climb in Canada that showed me I had what I needed from an aid leading perspective (C3+ R/X - quartzite hooking/cam hooking above a cleaver flake) . I had also been physically training for over a year and a half to be able to tolerate the sheer workage without losing it. (nothing like leading/cleaning/hauling (350lbs) 26 pitches all by yourself for over a week to get you worked).

The latest two walls I have attempted (Jesus built my hotrod on LT, and the Shield), I had to bail due to speed issues (team dynamics), so soloing doesn't give you a free 'hardman' pass. :P

epic_ed

Jul 10, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #37 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazide and Ricardo are good examples of what training and determination can do for your fisrt big wall solo attempt. These guys persevered despite lack of previous big wall summit experience. I'm a good example of how training and determination sometimes aren't quite enough. As for when will be a good time to give it a whirl? It's up to you, but Ricardo and Lazide are examples of two guys who have beaten the odds -- most people who attempt to solo a big wall without more experience end up bailing for a variety of reasons. You can stack the odds in your favor by working through a more gradual progression, and even then there's no guarantee you'll succeed. Or, you can go for it as soon as you feel you know just enough to keep from killing yourself.

I've been up to attempt to solo Zodiac three times now and haven't succeeded yet. I've learned a lot in those trips, though, and only have a few regrets. Over all, if I lived a lot closer to Yosemite I'd be up there as frequently as possible and going for it. For me, there has been no greater class room to learn about my systems, my skills, and my character than on the walls of granite in Yosemite. And, frankly, there's no place I'd rather be.

Get out and get some solo pitches under your belt and eventually you'll know when it's time.

Ed

far_east_climber

Jul 11, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #38 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazide - did I happen to bump into you on my approach to the WFLT and your descent from Jesus? You were mentioning something about the route missing the pinaccle.

lazide

Jul 11, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #39 of 39 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lazide - did I happen to bump into you on my approach to the WFLT and your descent from Jesus? You were mentioning something about the route missing the pinaccle.

Maybe? I was a little distracted by the misquotos, so I can't remember :P It was some trippy hooking on the loose flake in the empty dihedral, thats for sure.

Were you heading up to the WFLT with a group? (I remember this group of like 4 or 5 we met about 2/3 of the way down)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook