RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

youmeanupthere

Jun 26, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

selfish?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So on average, how would you characterize climbers in their climbing pursuits ranging from Mother Theresa kind of altruism to the vain-glorious kind of self indulgence that comes from the likes of Hollywood movie stars, rock stars, pro athletes, and politicians.

I heard a radio interview recently where an author was promoting a book about mountaineering. She was depicting it as one of the most selfish sports/pursuits/preoccupations/hobbies ever conceived. I was also reading a thread on the Lonely Planet website in which many "trekkers" were spraying about Himalayan mountaineering and how glad they would be when a helicopter can finally shuttle (potentially true or not this was their arguement) anyone to the top of Everest because it will (I assume) ultimately invalidate their accomplishments and burst their egos.

What's everyone else's take on this. I happen to believe rock climbers are some of the most selfish people out there but for entirely different reasons from the other people i have referred. I say this half in jest but with a very straight face.

dirtineye

Jun 26, 2005, 1:58 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Re: selfish? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This has only been covered about 1000 times already.

http://holeinthewall.shacknet.nu/...r/die_thread_die.jpg

andrewbanandrew

Jun 26, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think you can truly help others until you've helped yourself. Surely it is great to be altruistic but to be altruistic in all aspects of life?

edit: dirt, dude, about half of your last 30 posts are that image

Partner coldclimb

Jun 26, 2005, 2:02 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb for myself. I'm not really sure how climbing could be UNselfish. :? There's teamwork, sure, but I don't climb for my partner.

cardiffclimber

Jun 26, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope this doesn't burst too many bubbles.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/FrenchEverestMysteryChoppersUtopiasummit-VIDEOMay272005.shtml

youmeanupthere

Jun 26, 2005, 3:45 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand reprimanded dirtineye and for that the little s&m demon within me thanks you.

Cardiffclimber, I believe thats the story that initiated the debate on the other website and some very pointed comments were made about the elitist (paraphrasing) nature of mountaineering and its future.

Where I live there is an effort by our city and certain private entities to put a tram to the top of a mtn so everyone can enjoy the pleasure of being on top. To get to the top of this mtn usually only requires a few hrs of hiking, in fact there are even fantastic trails to mtn bike ones ass within a leisurely stroll of the summit. I oppose the tram because I enjoy hiking the mtn and there are some fantastic climbs at the base thanks laregly to Rockprodigy (rc.com moniker). It's quite a picturesque peak that I have enjoyed hiking and climbing my whole life. The tram won't interfere with the rock climbing areas (hopefully), although it may change the asthetic appeal of a rather historic ice route. In this instance I am being very selfish because I like it like it is and I don't want to see the interaction I have with the mtn altered in that way.

Oddly enough I wasn't even considering this local issue when made the original post.

andy_reagan

Jun 27, 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Life is a Journey. As such, we are all at different stages along the Way. To think about this in terms of "selfish" or "altruistic" would be to attempt to define the undefinable. We are the Alpha, the Omega, the Everything, the Nothing.

Climbing is but a vehicle to Liberation.

geezergecko

Jun 27, 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may be another mundane thread but it got me to thinking. The question "Who does this activity benefit besides myself?" comes to mind. From that perspective, a lot of the things we do are selfish. Climbing becomes as selfish as ice cream. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Partner j_ung

Jun 27, 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This has only been covered about 1000 times already.

As has that image! :P

cardiffclimber

Jun 27, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

youmeanupthere,

oddly enough, I just read an article about a proposed tram in my area. a walkway and an ice rink actually, the tram is all ready there. it's in palm springs. there was, and possibly still is for all I know, a plan to construct a people mover around long valley. it only takes about 2 hours to walk around it. my mother in law, who had arthroscopic surgery on her knee about 1-1/2 months ago, walked it without complaint. i will do whatever i can to help in seeing this fail. please don't misunderstand me. it will be a sad day when they start offering helicopter rides to the top of the world.

http://climbingjtree.com/resources/features/activist_issues/long_valley_tram_.html

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook