RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

maculated

Jul 6, 2002, 6:05 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Supporting Access Fund
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One of the things that I'm totally stoked on in Tuolumne is seeing the pros and old timers up here completely decked out in Access Fund stuff. There are so many laissez faire climbers out here, that it's awesome to see the high profiles folks setting an example. Totally a case of when it's good to 'monkey see-monkey do.'

Rock on!

krustyklimber

Jul 6, 2002, 6:24 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Supporting Access Fund [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mac,

No offense, but the pros you speak of may be the ones the Fund is paying and/or giving free swag to.

When was the last time you turned down a free clean climbing related t-shirt? I think it has less to do with philosophy than with economics.

And there is nowhere on the planet that has more AF and ASCA money poored over it than Yosemite National Park!

But since it is the worlds playground someone has to do it. But I think these organizations would be better renamed... The Californian Safe Climbing Assoc. and the Well Established Crag Purchasing Fund.

But that is only my opinion, and the bitter sentiment of a crag developer, who is going broke outfitting a crag. And cutting through as much red tape, as I am brush to make the trails! Without any help physical or financial!

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-07-05 23:28 ]

wildtrail

Jul 13, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krusty could very well be right. I do some work for the AF. Not everything they do is right. PLEASE don't get me wrong. I'm a supporter of the AF and am not "bashing" it as it is a wonderful organization. They do the best they can with what they got. Its hard to speak for a "community" that has such individualized voices. They try and do a pretty decent job at it. I'll give 'em that.

Activism is good, but it consumes. I do a little here and a little there without stepping on toes. I'll side with the belated Harding on this one. This is MY summer. I just want to climb.

Steve

jds100

Jul 13, 2002, 9:17 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Krust, have you applied to The Access Fund, or have you and some local climbers maybe formed a climbing advocacy group that would be eligible by AF standards (spelled out on their website) to apply for funds? We did it in Illinois; no need to go it alone unless you want to.

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2002-07-13 14:18 ]

krustyklimber

Jul 15, 2002, 4:14 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jds100,

No, you are right. I have not done all the homework I could've, and I thank you for pointing me to their site.
When I contacted my local AF rep and he told me to "get back to him when my crags were developed a little more" I thought that was all I could do. He didn't seem to be as helpful as you. And as far as other climbers I get about the same response from them. So far all the route development has been solo.

And I don't want to be misunderstood, The AF and ASCA are doing great things. Especially in the Valley! Where access is severely threatened, whether you all believe it or not! Everytime a climber is rescued in the Valley the Tourons say "They shouldn't be able to go up there!" if enough of them or one important enough of them says no more we'd be doomed without the Access Fund and ASCA's efforts. And as I have said before "when I am done spending what little money I have left over in my climbing budget to be able to afford to I will be joining the AF and the ASCA or at least contributing to their causes! Until then I will continue my grass roots efforts to develop what I hope to be one of the best granite climbing areas we have in Washington (I thought that was enough). And those of you who don't want to send me $25.00 to do this developing should send it to one of the great organizations I may have made it look like I was bashing... I was not.

Jeff

snapier

Jul 15, 2002, 4:23 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the 20/20/20 rule

$20 to Access Fund
$20 to Your Local Climbing Org
20 hours volunteer work cleaning up areas

...yearly...

wildtrail

Jul 15, 2002, 4:26 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snapier,

Bravo!

I do a ton of volunteer work. Everything from writing to hands on trail maintenance and clean ups!

Steve

snapier

Jul 15, 2002, 4:30 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah well around where I live a lot of good places have been shut down so I'm directly affected by the issue (and I'm too lazy to drive more than 1 hour away)

We all spend so much $ on gear, but having no place to climb makes all the gear in the world useless, no?

cragchica

Jul 15, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the 20/20/20 rule. I am wondering though... is there a local climbing org for Southern Az? If so, I haven't heard anything about it. If not, I would love to help get one on it's feet. I imagine there is one, it just isn't very well publicized... I'd love to help with that too. I'd love to hear how I can help.

Andria

Partner blazesod

Jul 21, 2002, 4:11 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't agree with this 20/20/20 rule. I think the time you spend, i.e. donating hours, is much more helpful than donating some cash. If I was plagued with the problem of having too much money and wanted to put some of it too good use I would gladly donate more cash. Like most climbers I have met that is not the case. I help everyone out with most cleanups in the area, always leave a place nicer than when I arrived and usually brush my chalk off the rock.
If everyone put 10 minutes back into the areas whenever they go out we wouldn't need to have organized area cleanups and trail maintenance. If everyone used common sense we wouldn’t have to deal with closure problems. To top it off I think we are fighting this war in the wrong manner. The right manner may be: to leave NO footprints instead of leaving ONLY footprints. Politicians and lawyers can not fight to stop what they can not see.

-Dave

wildtrail

Jul 21, 2002, 5:03 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dave has a good point.

Often, your time is much more valuable than the money you donate. Check with your local organizations, and national as well, periodically for volunteer help. You can do things like mail or write letters, gather help for clean ups, or start clean ups if there isn't any in your area. These are just a few things. However, don't forget the almighty dollar. They need a few bucks if you can spare it. Even a dollar will help.

Steve

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook