RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

indamtnsbj

Jun 16, 2005, 2:58 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2446 views)
Shortcut

Hernia and climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Unfortunately, I think I have developed a hernia due to some over strenous yard work.

I am planning on doing some climbing this weekend. How much can this complicate my condition?

anyone ever experienced this?

bigjonnyc

Jun 16, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hernia and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure your physician would be more qualified to answer this question than most people on this site.

shank

Jun 16, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the same thing, and I thought the most uncomfortable part was belaying rather than climbing. Just be aware of it, and Don't over do it. That's what I did till I got it fixed.

I would advise against any long lead falls for you might end up like the guy on Hanibal.

Steve

Warning: the preceding message is just one persons opinion, and that one person is NOT a doctor. He assumes no liability in the event you choose to not go see a real doctor, and end up with your small intestine in your scrotum. Climbing is inherently dangerous. Climbing with a hernia only increases the risk of losing your guts.

dina

Jun 16, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely advise against it! If you have a hernia, it means you have ruptured a muscle or tissue, and an organ is protruding outside the wall that normally contains it. Skip the climb a week or two and get yourself healed up. A doctor's visit wouldn't hurt, either. Take care of yourself, please don't make your condition worse! Live to climb another day :wink:

carolinakinight

Jun 16, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See a doctor - a hernia is a very general term and could describe a protrusion in any area. A good decision would require knowing where the hernia was, what exactly was sticking out, and whether or not there is some possibility of strangulation (ie loss of blood flow --> necrosis --> rupture of intestinal contents --> gets worse from here)

Some people live their whole lives with hiatal hernias and have no problems - some people die or are become seriously sick from a strangulated hernia.

SEE A DOCTOR

SEE A DOCTOR

SEE A DOCTOR

midwestishell

Jun 16, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not the smartest kid on the planet, but I climbed with a hernia for over a year. I just didn't want to take the time off from work and climbing and it wasn't giving me any serious, regular pain. Lots of discomfort though! I waited until the off season but it is up to you. I did get it checked out however once I saw and extra buldge. I would recommend seeing a doctor just so you know what's going on and then make the call.

Th

kylekienitz

Jun 29, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also am climbing with a hernia right now.
I went to the doctor and he told me that it was really just my call. however, he said that it is important to get it fixed if it really starts to hurt. The chances for a rupture is low, but it is still there. I'm really just hoping that i get through this climbing season and cross country in the fall. I'll get it fixed after that. Just keep yourself in check, and get it fixed if it hurts too much. I believe that if it becomes strangulated than the intestine can die within 6 hours or something like that, and then it is emergency surgery. So, i'm not going to go too far into the back country this summer and just stay fairly close to help if i need it.

but yeah, go to the doctor.

kdk

waspride

Jul 8, 2005, 1:34 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Firstly, I think alot of the replies above from people climbing with hurnias don't think about what could happen if it ruptured while climbing or away from medical attention.

I had a hernia(that i didn't know of) for over a year. I played squash, and lacrosse with it along with some lifting and conditioning in the off seasons.

However one night out of the blue while playing in a squash tournament my hurnia ruptured. At first i thought i had awful gas and just had to let the pain pass through.

The pain steadily increased. Luckily my father was there to take me to the hospital. 30 mins later when i reached the hospital the pain was so bad i couldn't get out of the car or walk for that matter.

I don't think i would take the chance of climbing with one. Although it is said that once you have your first hurnia you have a 15% chance of it returning on that same side and an 85% chance of a hurnia on the other side within your lifetime.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook