Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner crgwhe

Jun 26, 2005, 6:18 AM
Post #76 of 79 (7979 views)
Shortcut

Re: 30 to old to start? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few years ago I posted close the same question on this forum. I’m 37 now and have been a single parent of two boys, since 1993. Starting at your age I don’t see as a problem at all. Especially with your background in expeditions, mountaineering and mountain biking.
But you did mention that was before your child bearing years. I see a major time conflict brewing here.
In reply to:
....I figure if I can take care of 3 boys ages 8, 6 and 5 and a baby girl. Maintain my property, home ect. all on my own without help from my ex than well anything is possible. Oh did I forget to tell you that my 6 year old is severely Autistic and has Epilepsy and my 8 yr old has ADD and Tourettes Syndrome....
My oldest loves to climb and was given his own gear for his 14th birthday this year. My youngest isn’t into climbing at all. It’s just something he doesn't like to do and I don’t push him to get on the rock. The problem I’m having as a single parent is keeping my 13 year old occupied and safe while myself and my oldest boy are on the rock. Sure, my parents have no problem keeping him while me and my oldest go climb, but the fact remains, he is my son and my responsibility.
He alone cuts down on my climbing time because as much as me and my 14 year old like to climb, I’m not going to drag the other along every other weekend to a gym or outdoor area to engage is an activity he doesn't enjoy or to just sit there in the sun half board playing his Game Boy.
Raising the number of children you have with the unfortunate problems suffered by the two boys has got to be mentally taxing. Climbing is a great stress relief but I find I have difficulty concentrating on the climb when I’m concerned for my non-climber son and his well being.
If you can somehow manage to engage in a successful number of years on the rock and adequately care for your children with out going crazy, publish your endeavors in a book. I’d definitely buy one.

kinosoo

Jun 30, 2005, 3:47 AM
Post #77 of 79 (7979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some of the best climber i know are 30+ or older

sync

Jun 30, 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #78 of 79 (7979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
some of the best climber i know are 30+ or older

But did they start at 30+?

I started at 30. Love it!! I met a guy at the crag who started at 50 who wished he started at 30.

geezergecko

Jun 30, 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #79 of 79 (7979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started at 50 but I too wish I had started at 30. No, make that 15. Yeah, that's it! I wish I had started when I was 15. When sex was safe and climbing was dangerous!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook