Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29 Next page Last page  View All

iman74

Jun 27, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 713 (74928 views)
Shortcut

Connecticut Climbers Thread
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know I am new here, but would love to get together with other Connecticut climbers. Please post here if you are a Connecticut resident, and if your preference is indoor, outdoor, or either or.

I am indoor only but literally just started doing this.

mburke225

Jun 27, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Re: Connecticut Climbers Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Ct, let me know what you climb in the gym, and we can figure out a way to get you outdoors.

mburke225

Jun 27, 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #3 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Ct, let me know what you climb in the gym, and we can figure out a way to get you outdoors.

iman74

Jun 27, 2005, 6:32 PM
Post #4 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember I am new..so be gentle. Seriously, I just did my first climb, class, just about everything this Saturday. Pasted below basically gives you an idea of what I am about, and why I am looking for a partner. It is a reply to a CT person seeking a partner. But before we get into that, I am at this point so new I really have no interest in climbing outside, hell I am afraid of heights. But facing that each time I am up there; as soon as I reach the top I immediately say the magic phrase, "Got rope?" which is the gyms way of saying I am ready to get down now. Will I ever climb outdoors? You never know, but at so early in game, I presently have no desire to do so. Keep in mind that is NOT set in stone.

***Reply from other post***
I am interested. I just took a class this past Saturday, and the next time I go I need to get tested. Here is the link to the place: http://www.primeclimb.com

Once I get past the test, and I find a partner (which could be you) I am interested in doing this one Saturday or Sunday every week or every other week. With family and other responsibilities it's hard to say. I have the knots down, and I know I am reliable for the guy I was partnered with was not light, and he fell off the wall about 20 feet high and the only drop he felt was that of the rope expanding. The reason I am looking for a partner for the one and only time I did this (during the class) I saw the entire class making errors in places they should not have. I am anything but an expert on this, but I know from the class alone you need complete control of the rope. As long as you take the slack as it comes, and stay in lock position while being anchored, then all is good. I did not see that with my partner or the couple that was there. So I want a partner that I can rely on doing that, and can take tips from me where I see needs improvement and vice-versa. Also, I want to have a trust with someone, so I know if I take that plunge, they are there to keep me from falling. Lastly, I am a former (20 plus years) resident of Stamford so I am very familiar with the city and where the Vertical place is. However, I am now a northern CT resident, so I am willing to go to Stamford but I expect my partner is also will to switch off to my place too especially for my test in Waterbury which is so easy to get to: exit 26 of route 8 take a right second light make a right, it's in there.

mburke225

Jun 27, 2005, 6:45 PM
Post #5 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Primeclimb is my home gym too, I like the atmosphere, and they have a pretty good variety of stuff.
On the other hand, I won't be in there until the snow melt seeps down and makes the rock unclimbable. Just can't see spending the money on a gym when I could be dropping it on gear.
Keep climbing, you should have fun and meet some good people at PC. Who knows, maybe someone will talk you into getting on some real rock by the fall (best time by far in Ct, and Northeast in general). Otherwise, see you in Dec/ January.

iman74

Jun 28, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #6 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update, I realized just now that restricting weekends only would be stupid on my part. Well due to how my job is now, and other things in my life, after work one or two days between Tuesday to Friday would be best for me. Never ever on Monday, that is poker night and I need the money. :lol:

Partner lagarita

Jun 30, 2005, 7:05 AM
Post #7 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this an open thread for all CT climbers? I've only been climbing for about 8-9 months and I really want to get outside on some real rock. Pulling plastic is alright but I'd rather be outside especially with the weather we've been having.

As for equipment: (2) 10' tubular slings
(1) 7mm cordelette
(2) quickdraws
(5) locking carabiners

Yes, and of course I have a harness and ATC, but no helmet.
I don't own a rope yet, but I hope to soon.
As for indoor gyms I climb at Go Vertical in Stanford.

:righton:

iman74

Jun 30, 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #8 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is this an open thread for all CT climbers?...As for indoor gyms I climb at Go Vertical in Stanford.
:righton:

Absolutely to the first question.
You mean Stamford right?
I have only interest in indoor climbing for now.

Trying to get this thread marked as sticky to be next to all the other State threads.

dudemanbu

Jul 1, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #9 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all. I guess we could try to get this stickied. Probably need some posts first :P

My name's chris, i've been climbing for about 4 years, this last one seriously. I have two harnesses and a full toprope setup, not to mention knowledge of a few outdoor places in the area, and i have been to most of the gyms around here. I actually enjoy the gym about as much as i enjoy outdoor climbing due to the huge amount of variety available at one location.

Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

Partner lagarita

Jul 2, 2005, 6:11 AM
Post #10 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey all. I guess we could try to get this stickied. Probably need some posts first :P
Sounds like a good idea.

dudemanbu what other gyms are in CT? I go to Go vertical (stanford) and I know theres one in I think wallingford? :?

sustainedclimber

Jul 2, 2005, 6:39 AM
Post #11 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Connecticut climbers unite! We are a rare breed and should huddle together for power...and warmth if it gets cold out. I've been climbing for 3 years now, I know many of the areas in the state quite well, and I've climbed indoors at Prime Climb in Wallingford, Stone Age in Manchester and the defunct gym in Torrington. Though I'm young in human and climbing years, I could probably be a big help if anyone needs questions answered about Connecticut climbing. Feel free to send me PM's. Happy trails to all.

-Josh

da5id

Jul 2, 2005, 1:13 PM
Post #12 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats defunct about the torrington gym? i havent heard anything about it in a while...

Partner devkrev

Jul 2, 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #13 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey all
My names Devin and I'm sort of a lurker around rc.com. I figure there are so many other people who don't know what they are talking about, just one more who doesn't would add to the confusion :) I have been climbing seriously for about a year and a half.
My favorite area in CT has to be Pinnacle.
I like ice climbing. I just started that last winter.

da5id: The gym in Torrington is looking to relocate and is still running programs outside.

later
dev

mburke225

Jul 2, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #14 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll pop back up to offer my services. Been climbing for about 4 years, off and on. I'm in the Hamden area, and I know most of the CT cliffs pretty well. I have a full toprope setup, I've led a bunch of sport, but I'm just now building my trad rack (set of nuts, set of tricams, couple c4's on order). PM me if your interested in climbing.

itstoearly

Jul 2, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #15 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My name is Matt, and I have been climbing for about a year off and on indoors. I usually climb in Rutland, VT (I goto school up there), but I am home for the summer and would love to meet up with people to climb. I don't have any gear yet, but I hope to get some soon.

Does anyone know is there is any cliimbing set up on talcott mountain? I live in Simsbury and I think those cliffs would be a lot of fun to climb. Feel free to contact me through these boards or through AIM. I have yet to climb outdoors, but I want to try it. If anyone ever wants to meet up in a gym, too, let me know (Not sure which gym is the best, I have been to the one in Manchester and Wallingford so far).

dudemanbu

Jul 2, 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #16 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it'd be a great idea if we all got together for some climbing in the near future. A connecticut unite! meeting. We could barbeque and do some top rope somewhere.

A little more about me. Name, as i said, is chris. i'm 22. You can also call me dude. This name is an inside joke. My friend hung out with my sister's fiancee and i one day, and he for some reason, cannot address me without saying dudeman. example: "dude, man, chris, you have to come to NY to visit us again soon"

I've been to stone age in manchester, go vertical in stamford. been climbing at sleepy giant, and the crags at that park in woodbury. up for climbing anywhere at most times, (almost any time with enough notice.)

I redpoint 5.11's, but am most comfortable leading at 5.9 or under.

my shoes are green.

Partner devkrev

Jul 2, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #17 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey all
There are a few CT climbers organizations that I know of already, the RMF being one. Another group that I have heard about and been meaning to meet up with has been The Connecticut Climbers and Mountaineers they meet every Wednesday during the summer at a different CT crag for climbing, its an open invite, and I hear its a pretty good time, now all I need is a wednesday off. You should all check these groups out cause they are great organizations.
later
dev

dudemanbu

Jul 4, 2005, 2:50 AM
Post #18 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, well, i propose pinnacle weds the 6th for a meetup.

bigevilgrape

Jul 4, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #19 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at pinnacle today. I only saw 2 other groups of people climbing. i don't know where all the climbers have gone.

and why does everyone meet wed night. i have a million groups i could go play with on wed nights. I always pick riding with my chick group tho.

dudemanbu

Jul 4, 2005, 3:45 PM
Post #20 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's only a proposition. feel free to suggest another night.

itstoearly

Jul 4, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #21 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Wed might be fine, but when? I work all day, so it would have to be 6 or later.

bigevilgrape

Jul 5, 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #22 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just pointing out that the AMC, She Climbs, and another group all climb wed nights. I think it would more beneficial to pick another night that way people would have more options of people to climb with. I'd go for Tuesdays or Thursdays. With other people we'd pick a time to climb, like four or five and just let people trickle in as they got done with work.

n.e.climber
Deleted

Jul 5, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #23 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is amazing, here i am wishing i had more people to climb with other than this one dope who calls himself "sustained climber" and what should appear but a ct climbing thread. i live in canton, think farmington valley, and am always desperately needing to climb, as long as work allows it. please, if anyone wants a partner, i can lead or set up topropes, or just boulder. i don't know how this PM stuff works and i don't check this site enough to remember but my email is sshahverdian@excite.com if anyone needs someone to tie in with. scott

dudemanbu

Jul 5, 2005, 1:19 PM
Post #24 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright, so everyone put a good day/time, and we'll narrow it down. i can climb pretty much any day after work, anywhere in the state.

itstoearly

Jul 5, 2005, 1:21 PM
Post #25 of 713 (74901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I live in the south end of simsbury; I recently found out that I am within half an hour of pinacle (straight shoot down route 10 :D )

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook