RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Sep 10, 2001, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Correcting Black and White in low light conditions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently went to the Climbing gym and took pictures of me and my girlfriend bouldering. I used Black & White C-41 at 250th of a second. There is a low light condition in the gym. I don't know how to correct this. I could shoot at a lower speed but I'm not sure if this will pick up on fast movement. Film speed is 400. How do I correct this?

Confused
Andy

andy_lemon

Sep 10, 2001, 11:53 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Correcting Black and White in low light conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For someone of photography you should know that a flash with black & White film of any make takes away from the picture. It adds white were it shouldn't be and destroys the message trying to be sent. For the reason of me in a gym I guess that would be ok since the only message I'm trying to send is "Hey, that's me climbing in the gym and the picture is black and white". But I was seriously looking for another option.

Plus I mentioned I was using Black & White C-41 film. The reason was so I could easily take it about anywhere and have it developed... Alot of places only develope C-41. As far as my knowledge extends C-41 only comes in 400 speed.

I asked my photography teacher what I should do after I posted the first message. I found out that about the only way to correct a low light condition with black and white was to set up more lighting in the background (not a flash) or to lower my shutter speed... but as we all know if I go below 125th of a second that would make all my action photos blurry.

Thanks for trying anyhow.

andy_lemon

Sep 10, 2001, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SCOUT: I did not even see your second paragraph.

"Also 125 sutter speed is fine to stop most action. Don't be afraid to shoot at 60 shutter speed either. Pan the subject, a little movement adds to the photo. The best way to learn is shoot a lot and take notes"

To pan the subject... yes, I just heard about this today in photo class. That sounds like it would take alot of practice... hmmm.

marcsv

Sep 17, 2001, 10:26 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should try push processing.

btw, what's your f/stop, you could also try a 28mm lens (i think they open at 3.5)

marcsv

Sep 17, 2001, 10:26 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should try push processing.

btw, what's your f/stop, you could also try a 28mm lens (i think they open at f3.5)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook