RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

zozo

Jul 7, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Falling is easy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Like most people the idea of falling did'nt sit well with me. I had never taken a fall till this year when I started to push my leading into the 11's. To my suprise it was'nt bad at all and was over before I knew what was happening.

I continued to progress some taking more and more falls along the way and then something interesting happened. I began to fall on much easier stuff. Stuff I had previousely had no problems with.

Then last sunday I fell a few times on some routes but something was bugging me, I was really unhappy with how I climbed and then it struck me that I might be to used to and to willing to fall because it is so much easier than working through a tough section of a climb.

Has anyone else out there gone through a period when they fell as an excuse?

learnin2climb

Jul 7, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Re: Falling is easy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I experienced this same thing; the more falls I take the less scared I am to take the fall. Last weekend I took a 20footer on a warmup and it was like walking backwards down the route; I kind of enjoyed it. I've been climbing hard and a lot recently. So, physically and mentally I'm not at my best. I've decided to take a week off to rest and will be back on the rock in a week. I don't think that the more comfortable I become with falling the less willing I will be to push myself. I think it will be just the opposite, I will be more willing to push myself and take the fall.

killclimbz

Jul 7, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Then last sunday I fell a few times on some routes but something was bugging me, I was really unhappy with how I climbed and then it struck me that I might be to used to and to willing to fall because it is so much easier than working through a tough section of a climb.

Quite being a pussy and try harder :lol:

Are you going to join us at Devil's Head on Sunday? You can work on your leading or falling skills there.

zozo

Jul 7, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Quite being a sissy and try harder :lol:

Are you going to join us at Devil's Head on Sunday? You can work on your leading or falling skills there.

I guess that is pretty much what it comes down to huh! :)

Where is Devls head? That could be cuhl cuz Ive never been there.

fender13

Jul 7, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THis kind of reminds me of when I started climbing 4 months ago (I'm 12 years of age) and I would want to climb high but I was so afraid of being at the top (And especially reppeling down) I sub-conciously didn't want to be physically able to make it too the top.
Luckily now I'm over that fear and I toprope indoor 5.8's/5.9's

sarcat

Jul 7, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suck it up zozo. Is it hot over there in CO yet?

killclimbz

Jul 7, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The routes database has all the info you need to get there. I am going to try to get Vince to go on Sunday. He's been there before. So perhaps you guys could carpool. 18 bolt 12a there, that I want to get some laps on. Check out Hole in the Wall for info. It's pretty accurate since I was the one updating it.

mjroche

Jul 7, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You didn't fall that often on Sunday Dave. But, if you want to put the fear of falling back into climbing, start clipping only every other draw. That will make you work not to fall. By the way are you repeating your 14'er Saturday, climb Sunday routine. I'm impressed!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook