RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

murockman

Jul 12, 2005, 2:01 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut

copperheads, rivets, daisies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what are they all for, i'm really interested in aid climbing, but i'm not going to try it until i understand what all these things do. someone help me out.

kristoffer

Jul 12, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Re: copperheads, rivets, daisies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im no aid expert, as a matter of a fact im just learning aid my self. Copper / aluminum heads are small peaces of… well copper or aluminum that have been swagged onto cable and are pounded into cracks and what not with a hammer. Rivets are much like bolts but instead of being expansion bolts with hangers on them there just standard machined bolts (like the kind you can get at a hard wear store) that are pounded into a hole that is a fraction of an inch smaller then the actual bolt… and daisy chains are either adjustable or standard. The standard type have many loops on them that you put your fifi hook or carbineer thru to rest on.

hope that helped

Peace
Kristoffer

the_dude

Jul 12, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your just getting in to aid, don't worry about heads and rivits at this point. You're mostlikely not going to be seeing these when your learning to aid on an A1. If you do see a rivit, it will make sense, If you don't have a rivit hanger you can usually substitute a wired nut to loop over the rivit. If you come across heads they will be fixed, don't worry about learning to place em yet. Daisy chains you will most definetely need. They are an intigral part of your aid setup. If you're confused as to what they are, you got some work to do before heading out to try things out. I'd suggest getting John Longs, "Big Walls" book to familiarize yourself with the aid basics. Once you get the basic system down all the other aid gadgets and rope trickery will start to make more sense to you. Hope this helps a bit. Aid climbing is a hell of a lot of fun in it's own twisted way, I hope you have fun with it!
Cheers

karlbaba

Jul 12, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best to get an overview somewhere through a book that will give you the big picture. You can then ask questions about the details

peace

Karl

areuinclimber

Jul 12, 2005, 4:41 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22175&start=5
if your getting into aid then DEVOUR these

stymingersfink

Jul 12, 2005, 4:47 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just be sure to ask PTPP for any clarification you might need, I'm sure he'd love that.

In faaact, I'll bet he'd be willing to let you haul some loads to the base of his next climb for him, maybe even show you how to set up a wall-hauler. If you were willing to contribute to the necessary supplies, heck he might even offer you the opportunity to see his prodigious postings in action.

but i digress... yes, search though, if you can navigate through PTPP's stuff coherently then be sure to let us all know the secrets you find.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook