RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

soyshadymilkman

Jul 12, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #1 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

How to tie up cordolette
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I just got a 20' cordolette and tied it up (double fisherman's knot) and it's good to go. I've used a cordolette before and done a little trad leading so I'm not asking how to use the cordolette on a route, but how to tie it up to rack on your harness. It should be really simple but for some reason I can't figure out a way to keep it neatly coiled and tied off for when I'm climbing. Anyone know how or have an image that could help me out?

Gracias

sorry if this's been asked before, ran a search and couldn't find anything.

taterlandclimber

Jul 12, 2005, 5:57 PM
Post #2 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to tie up cordolette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check-out chockstone.org

Partner csgambill

Jul 12, 2005, 6:05 PM
Post #3 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Double it over a couple of times then tie an overhand knot in it. Slap it on a big biner and you're good to go.

bluenose

Jul 12, 2005, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Half it two or three times, drop one loop, twist the rest into an eight and fold. It should be about a handspan diameter coil. Squeeze it together, wrap the dropped loop snug aroud the coil and poke the end of the wrapped loop through the coil at one end, pull tight, it should be just long enough to poke out of the coil. Clip this loop to the biner.

Hmm...looks about as clear as mud. It works though, keeps everything tangle free and doesn't catch on stuff as it stays good and tight.

Sorry no pics.

saxfiend

Jul 12, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #5 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
check-out chockstone.org
I've tried the "twist rack" technique they show, and don't like it. It's a pain in the tail to get that wad of loops on and off a biner. My preferred method:

Take the single cordelette loop and double it, then double it again; you should now have four equal loops.
Drop one of the four loops, then double the remaining three once or twice more to a manageably short bundle of loops.
Use the dropped loop to wrap around the main bundle until you've got only a few inches of loose cord (wrap tightly and flat to keep it neat).
Slip the remaining few inches of the wrapping loop through the end loops of the main bundle, then clip this single loop to a biner and you're done.

The nice thing about this method is when you're ready to use the cordelette, you just unclip it from the biner, pull the single clipping loop free, and the whole thing uncoils into a ready-to-use, untangled cordelette.

Hope my description was clear . . .

JL

keinangst

Jul 12, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #6 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may sound like the above, but it's different.

Double it, then double it again until you have 4 loops in each hand and about 3'-4' hanging freely. Start looping your hands and twisting the cord like a bunch of strands of pasta. The torsion on the cordage will make it tighten up on its own.

Once the two ends in your hands are nearly cinched together by the mass of spaghetti, just clip an HMS biner through all 8 loops and you'll have a snag-free, ready-to-snap-open cordalette. It'll be a little bigger than a softball with no real shape.

Partner euroford

Jul 12, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #7 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just quadruple mine and tie an overhand in it, clip it to a bd mini pearbiner.

areuinclimber

Jul 12, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #8 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put the fishermans in your palm (so the full loop is in your palm, not just one strand) and coil it loosely around the middle of your hand until you have about 1.5 ft left of cord. use this to rap around the body of the "doughnut" you have made by coiling it around your hand. leave about 4-6" left and stick it through the doughnut and tighten. takes up very little room and wont unravel on its own.
thanks to climbinginchico who taught me that trick.

charley

Jul 12, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #9 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

daisychain it.

forkliftdaddy

Jul 12, 2005, 7:59 PM
Post #10 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another option is to not rack, but to wear it. Make a coil out of it -- necessary size varies with the size of the person -- and then throw it over your head and one shoulder.

Partner tattooed_climber

Jul 13, 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #11 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Double it over a couple of times then tie an overhand knot in it. Slap it on a big biner and you're good to go.

thats what i do...i have a fast system of wrapin/tying it too....i like it...very little fuckin' around with while on routes...

kobaz

Jul 13, 2005, 1:50 AM
Post #12 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tie mine up for racking like I would be doing a mountaineers coil, and then leave about 10 inches of slack, fold the coil in half, and then finish it off with a little loop to clip a biner into.

Here's some pictures

http://www.kobaz.net/cord/IMG_0220.JPG

http://www.kobaz.net/cord/IMG_0221.JPG

http://www.kobaz.net/cord/IMG_0222.JPG

climberpunk

Jul 13, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #13 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
put the fishermans in your palm (so the full loop is in your palm, not just one strand) and coil it loosely around the middle of your hand until you have about 1.5 ft left of cord. use this to rap around the body of the "doughnut" you have made by coiling it around your hand. leave about 4-6" left and stick it through the doughnut and tighten. takes up very little room and wont unravel on its own.

seriously this is the way to go. just wrap it round your hand and then tie it off like a normal coil. you only have to clip one loop, as opposed to 4 or 8, and its hella fast to (un)do.

sharpshootr987

Jul 13, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #14 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are the best methods ive seen yet!!!

Partner eyecannon

Jul 13, 2005, 3:41 AM
Post #15 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I do this except with an additional twist on the overhand. It makes it shorter which is good for short people.

rufusandcompany

Jul 16, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #16 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used them extensively, for guiding and instructing, and they work great. The easiest method that I've found is to loop the Cordelette over itself four times, then simply sling it over my shoulder. My Cordelettes are twenty feet long, fastened with double fisherman knots. I am 6' tall, so four loops makes this rig sit from my shoulder to slightly above my hips. It never gets in my way. When I am ready to use one, I simply remove it from my shoulder.

saxfiend

Jul 16, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #17 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've used them extensively, for guiding and instructing, and they work great. The easiest method that I've found is to loop the Cordelette over itself four times, then simply sling it over my shoulder. My Cordelettes are twenty feet long, fastened with double fisherman knots. I am 6' tall, so four loops makes this rig sit from my shoulder to slightly above my hips. It never gets in my way. When I am ready to use one, I simply remove it from my shoulder.
That's a nice, uncomplicated method. Maybe you don't carry slings over the shoulder as well, but I'm thinking for those that do, the cordelette carried your way would make the slings hard to get to. Am I missing something?

JL

Partner climbinginchico

Jul 16, 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #18 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

seriously this is the way to go. just wrap it round your hand and then tie it off like a normal coil. you only have to clip one loop, as opposed to 4 or 8, and its hella fast to (un)do.

Josh Wharton taught me this trick- I use it on my tech cord cordalette and my WC dyneema sling cordalette. They pack down super small.

rufusandcompany

Jul 17, 2005, 4:01 AM
Post #19 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Saxfiend, I do carry slings as well. The trick to keeping them convenient is to hang the slings over the same shoulder as the cordelette. The problems occur when you alternate shoulders. I have been doing it this way for several decades, and I can manage them with my eyes closed.

Partner jammer

Jul 17, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #20 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just fold my cordolettes four times, tie it either in a figure 8 or an overhand and clip it to my back loop. Maybe I'm missing simething ... ?

rufusandcompany

Apr 17, 2006, 7:51 PM
Post #21 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yfdyjftyjftytyjtyj

Partner csgambill

Apr 17, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #22 of 22 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I do this except with an additional twist on the overhand. It makes it shorter which is good for short people.

I previously forgot to mention that I fold the cordolette in half after I tie the overhand knot in it. I prefer this method because it's quick and relatively uncluttered plus it twist up the cord forcing you to spend a lot of time unraveling all the twists while setting up an anchor.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook