RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jeep4evr

Jul 14, 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

best/proper daisy chain girth hitch?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always girth hitched my daisy chain vertically through the two harness loops holding the belay loop. Anyone I've ever seen has done that. But one of my friends, who's very knowledgeable about mountaineering, girth hitches his daisy around the belay loop instead. I haven't asked him about it, but I thought I'd bring it up here and ask what some of you all think.

bler

Jul 14, 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Re: best/proper daisy chain girth hitch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've always girth hitched to the belay loop due to the fact that I have the rope already running through the harness loops(and its just easier to manage the belay loop)..

it probably does not matter.. the only reason you don't use a biner' through the harness loops is due to increased possibility of cross loading, but your not gonna cross load webbing ;)

sactownclimber

Jul 14, 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I girth hitch my daisy chain to my belay loop.

krisp

Jul 14, 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just hitch it to my belt strap. Does anyone think this is not bomber enough?

jeep4evr

Jul 14, 2005, 1:13 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, so basically it doesn't matter. The best argument I've heard for the harness loops is that you have 2 points of contact encase one happens to fail. And for the belay loop that it keeps the harness free of clutter for running the rope through. One of my friends tossed out some kind of vector forces garble for why he doesn't use the belay loop, but that sounds rediculous, since you aren't suppose to shock load a daisy anyway.

Partner kimgraves

Jul 14, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

You should probably ask this question in the aid forum.

I girth hitch my daisies through both my leg loops and my waistband. The reason is that since youíre hanging from the daisy, it makes sense to let the leg loops take part of the weight. For what itís worth, when Iím climbing trad, I girth hitch my PAS the same way, and for the same reason. When Iím at a hanging belay I want the PAS to distribute the weight between my leg loop and waist.

Best, Kim

vegastradguy

Jul 14, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can girth to the belay loop- it's the strongest part of your harness. i don't particularly like the idea, simply because it could get in the way of my belaying.

i avoid this by using a special technique- leaving my daisy at home and using the rope to anchor myself. :D

petsfed

Jul 14, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't make much difference, it just comes down to preference. I prefer the belay loop as it doesn't pitch the two tie-in points as closely together, making my harness more comfortable.

Vegastradguy has a good point, but one that irks me to some degree (from my experience). While clove hitching the rope to the anchor and hanging off your tie in is the BEST way for just hanging, its not as fast as just clipping a sling in, especially when you'll use the same crab to anchor yourself with the rope. Fast, easy, safe, right? Then the daisy becomes little more than a keeper sling, excepting the brief moments when you're fiddling to get the clove adjusted just right. That's why I still have a daisy (over and above AID climbing).

vegastradguy

Jul 15, 2005, 6:39 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
While clove hitching the rope to the anchor and hanging off your tie in is the BEST way for just hanging, its not as fast as just clipping a sling in, especially when you'll use the same crab to anchor yourself with the rope. Fast, easy, safe, right?

actually, i'm not sure its faster. in the time it would take me to unclip my daisy from my harness, untangle it from all of my gear, and then clip in...i would have already been tied off with the rope. and i get the added bonus of less cluster.

but, to each his own. if the daisy works for you and you use it correctly, then hey, as long as you're happy.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook