RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

ddarko34

Jul 14, 2005, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

digital camera suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey i'm in the market for a digital camera since the last one (canon powershot sd10) sorta fell apart on me after a year.

I wanna get one that's STURDY enough to take climbing and will take good outdoor pics, but also one that's pretty good at taking indoor shots as well. and one with movie mode that i can take to record people sending some sick cruxes. and concerts. and virtually every stupid thing i can. cuz i'm trigger happy. any suggestions? thx

mgoodro

Jul 14, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Re: digital camera suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the Olympus Stylus Verve for a small light 4MP digicam. It's taken several 6-8 foot falls and is nearly waterproof.

overlord

Jul 14, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #3 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have olympus c765 ultra zoom. 10x optical zoom and 4mp. i only wish i was a bit wider zoom.

Partner macherry

Jul 14, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #4 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from General to Climbing Photography.

sharpshootr987

Jul 14, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #5 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would check out the Fujifilm S3100 ($180) and S5100 ($285)

melekzek

Jul 14, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #6 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would check amazon.com for canon A95, 260 - 70MIR = 190$ + free shipping

jacobg

Oct 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #7 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=606

id look into this one.... awsome camera with 12x optical for less then 300

read the review on it at the link.. mabey look into some other ones on the site aswell (GREAT reviews!)

good luck

ottoman

Oct 25, 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #8 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D hey all, I recently got the Sony DSC-S40, and have carried it on several single pitch climbs.....As for shooting...noproblems so far.....still learning to use it..........the cool thing is it is compatible with TV i have... :D

ledavis23

Oct 25, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #9 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Canon Digital Elph 200 or 300 or 400. This is one of the smallest high-quality cameras I've ever seen. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, does video too and even has a tiny little screen to preview your pics. Very easy to use. I've treated our's pretty well- always in a pocket or in it's soft case when not in use. We're on our second one we like it so much. The first one fell out of my husband's pocket when he was driving a tractor -not a lawn-mower thing, I'm talking a John Deer with 5-foot tires- It was squarely run over but we could barely tell it was broken. Of course the screen was cracked, but the body was in one piece surprisingly! Paying retail prices suck (even from the holy of holies: Best Buy) so no matter what camera you get, buy it on ebay.

roshiaitareya

Oct 25, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #10 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Sony Cybershot from a few years ago. It's only 1.3 mp but it takes great outdoor shots (I've used the new 7mp and it does wonderfully as well). Anyways, mine has been dropped on concrete several times and it keeps going. They're moderately priced too (a 4mp is only $180ish). Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. If you only want to pay a little bit, you'll get a lower quality camera. I'd say go to WalMart/Best Buy/Office Max and play around until you find one that fits your needs. Also, don't pay attention to digital zoom, you can do that on your computer, optical zoom is what counts.

thegreytradster

Oct 30, 2005, 4:30 AM
Post #11 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been really happy with the fuji's. The first one refused to die after five years or so of abuse.

I just upgraded to a 550 and have only minor gripes about some of the default settings and ergonomics for large hands, (inevitable). (You can't set it to defaut power up with the screen off). It weighs about as much as the caribiner and case it rides on and has long battery life as well as the ability to use standard AA's and the abillity to take a 24mm equivillent WA factory adapter that is a significant piece of glass on its own. 6mp resolution (12mp interpolated) and better dynamic response than cameras costing ten times as much. They use a dual size pixel sensor that mimics the response of the large and small silver grains in film. (only on some of their cameras, not all)

It really does act like it has Fujicrome in it when set on the chrome setting.

Full report and links to shots after I have a couple of months on it.

putputgolfer

Oct 30, 2005, 5:28 AM
Post #12 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What ever you get, grab a pelican case to put it in. http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican-cases-sizes.htm
It is waterproof and absolutly indestructable. I have whitewater inner-tubed with this thing tied to the innertube and the cmaera stayed completely dry. My friend threw his down a hundred foot waterfall without a scratch. This si the best investment i ever made for the camera.

I have a canon A75 that is great. 3.2mp $200ish lots of features so you can get creative; like shutter speed control and aperature value control

Partner grovehunter

Oct 30, 2005, 5:32 AM
Post #13 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Nikon coolpix 2200. It's a nice little snapper for the price. It has 3x zoom, 15 scene modes including macro, 5 different color modes and stores up to 29 full res shots on the internal memory. It takes a secure digital card and I've squeezed up to 270 shots on one 256mb card. It has a movie mode (No sound though) Direct printing capability and more importantly it is simple to use. It takes AA batteries so if your rechargables run out you can use regular alkalines.
It was a gift, but if I had to get another I'd get the coolpix 3300 for a few bucks more! The 2200 takes nice pics for a 2 megapixel camera and is lightweight. :)

wish_i_was_climbing

Oct 30, 2005, 5:37 AM
Post #14 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on what you are willing to spend. I have a D70 and there is not a camera out there that will top its durability, its quality, versitility or is dependability. I can't count how many times I have dropped mine, or knocked it against a wall. It doesn't have a movie feature, but you don't need it with this camera. It has such a fast shutter speed that you can literaly sit there and click the shutter as fast as you possibly can, and it will stay ahead of you. I love it, but putputgolfer is right you should deffinately protect you investment with some sort of water tight case.

wish_i_was_climbing

Oct 30, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #15 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on what you are willing to spend. I have a D70 and there is not a camera out there that will top its durability, its quality, versitility or is dependability. I can't count how many times I have dropped mine, or knocked it against a wall. It doesn't have a movie feature, but you don't need it with this camera. It has such a fast shutter speed that you can literaly sit there and click the shutter as fast as you possibly can, and it will stay ahead of you. I love it, but putputgolfer is right you should deffinately protect you investment with some sort of water tight case.

Partner grovehunter

Oct 30, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #16 of 16 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with Iwishiwasclimbing on the D70. Nice camera, Extremely durable, and takes great pics. For a snapper I'd go with one of the coolpix cameras. Oh and I can wear gloves when it is cold out and still operate my camera without any hassles.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook