RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

authorizeduser

Jul 15, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

SuperTopo Gear Recommendations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In the SuperTopo books, I see recommended gear for routes. For example, "nuts: 1-2 sets, cams: 1-2ea .6-3inch". Has anyone looked at the recommendation and then looked at what they've used? Was the recommendation conservative or not, or right on the mark?

areuinclimber

Jul 15, 2005, 8:07 PM
Post #2 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Re: SuperTopo Gear Recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the pro is either dead on or more than enough to get you through the route.

nthusiastj

Jul 15, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #3 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They seem pretty right on to me.

Partner tim

Jul 15, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #4 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anything, Chris's recommendations tend to be on the safe side, eg. take an extra piece that you may not place if you're strong at the grade. They're usually right on.

Partner climbinginchico

Jul 15, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #5 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SuperTaco's recommendations are almost always perfect.

boltdude

Jul 16, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #6 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a note that confuses some Supertopo users - the crack size is the actual size of the crack, and NOT the same as the numbering on Black Diamond Camalots. One of the most common complaints I get is that if a topo says 0.75" cam, people bring a #.75 Camalot instead of a #.4 Camalot - so if you are new to Supertopos and you have Camalots, make sure you examine the cam size chart in the front of the guides.

You can also check the route database at Supertopo.com, where people often comment on routes and the pro. The database is limited to routes covered in the Supertopo guides.

authorizeduser

Jul 18, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #7 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies... this has all been very helpful!

flamer

Jul 18, 2005, 2:53 AM
Post #8 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually find supertopo racks to be overkill....very rarely do you need doubles....but when you do you defiantly do. If there is any doubt cross reference other guides, and internet info.

josh

wedgy

Jul 18, 2005, 3:44 AM
Post #9 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NEVER short of gear, sometimes a few extra pieces, but you're not lugging a bunch of extra stuff. Best guide available.

sixleggedinsect

Jul 21, 2005, 2:40 AM
Post #10 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I usually find supertopo racks to be overkill....very rarely do you need doubles....but when you do you defiantly do. If there is any doubt cross reference other guides, and internet info.

i find when people strong at a grade need doubles, supertopo says bring triples. like others said, they're conservative (ie- safe) pro guides. but- before you decide to leave gear on the ground, find out how the particular area feels before paring down, unless you're a bad-ass working below your limit.

ikellen

Jul 21, 2005, 6:58 PM
Post #11 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Supertopo has always been right on for me, about the only thing though is that the reccomendations might be light if you like to sew it up. If you are close to, or solid at the grade, the rack is right on.

Partner j_ung

Jul 21, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #12 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only used SuperTopos on a couple rotues, but my experience is spot-on to really safe. I'm sure you realize that it's all subjective, but IMO, they've struck a nice balance.

authorizeduser

Jul 24, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #13 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Answering my own question after the fact... I looked at the gear recommendation and the climbed a route under my ability and found that I used less gear than what they had said. BUT, who cares, I'd rather have too much gear than not enough... right? Thanks for your replies!

hangerlessbolt

Aug 8, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #14 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it..."

Spot on

flamer

Aug 8, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #15 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BUT, who cares, I'd rather have too much gear than not enough... right?

That's a very noobie thing to say....you should learn to do more with less. Carrying less gear will allow you to do a variety of things....like move faster and more efficiently, which always you to climb more, and in the mountains(and on big routes) climb safer.

Very rarely will I carry anything more than 1and a half set of nuts and single cams from a Blue alien to a #3 camalot. I've gotten up plenty of stuff with that rack, when Mctopo said to bring doubles to a #4 camalot.

josh

P.S.
Don't forget your 10 essentials! :wink:

scuclimber

Aug 11, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #16 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's a very noobie thing to say....you should learn to do more with less. Carrying less gear will allow you to do a variety of things....like move faster and more efficiently, which always you to climb more, and in the mountains(and on big routes) climb safer.

Very rarely will I carry anything more than 1and a half set of nuts and single cams from a Blue alien to a #3 camalot. I've gotten up plenty of stuff with that rack, when Mctopo said to bring doubles to a #4 camalot.

josh

P.S.

At first glance I thought your post said "That's a very noble thing to say," but then I read it a bit more closely. To each his own, eh? :wink:

Colin

karlbaba

Aug 16, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #17 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THe closer to your limit the climb in question is, the more likely you are to need the whole list of gear suggested.

phile

Oct 5, 2005, 5:50 AM
Post #18 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this thread has quietly gone away, but in case someone stumbles onto it by using the search, let me say this:

In the past it has always seemed slightly conservative to me, even when climbing near my limit. This weekend I led Central Pillar of Frenzy, which turned out to be harder than I can climb (a few falls and hangs). The supertopo calls for (among other things) 1-2 sets of nuts, 2 .4" cams, and 3 3.5"-4" cams. I didn't place a single nut (stuck with cams since I was struggling, and the belays are all bolted), I didn't bring any .4" cams, and I only brought one 3.5-4" one.

I never felt like I was particularly running it out, and I never wanted more gear. The route comments on the supertopo site have criticized the wide gear rec as overkill, but I also sure didn't miss the .4" cams or the 2nd set of nuts.

YMMV.

mattm

Oct 5, 2005, 6:42 PM
Post #19 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

josh

P.S.

Thread Revived!

I don't think your claim that less is more or that less gear lets you climb faster is correct. I think it's much more complicated than that. Less gear on stuff well within ones range (ie alpine 5.easy ridge climb) will certainly help you go faster since your not dragging along all that weight. HOWEVER - as you start to climb more difficult climbs, the penalty of having more gear (and the weight) quickly declines. Instead of having to climb slowly and conservatively because you aren't well protected having more gear allows you to move with confidence on terrain. Also - having more gear options means you don't have to fart around jigging up some creative pro placement when, instead, you just grab that second piece, slam it in and go. Real world and well know examples of this: Hans vs Dean on the Half Dome/Nose speed solos. Dean soloed a lot of the climbing as where Hans rope soloed with a soloist. Hans ended up going faster because he had a security system in place that allowed him to "push it" where Dean had to be very conservative.

You have to judge the weight vs security benefits and then make your decision. Sometimes light=speed=safety other times gear=safety=speed

All in all - this comes down to experience with yourself and the areas you climb.

alpine_monk

Oct 10, 2005, 2:40 AM
Post #20 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^what a smart guy^^^

lajhanata

Oct 10, 2005, 3:31 AM
Post #21 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find supertopo is good about gear recommendations, especially when little gear is needed. On larger rack recommendations there is definitely more room to improvise. Bear in mind that nobody leads exactly the same too. Friday I told my partner to lead a climb that had eaten both my #1 camalots and left me wishing for a third, but he climbed the whole route with three of them dangling off his sling and never placed them. I've never heard of supertopo shorting people on gear, and on long alpine having that extra piece can really make a difference between a good weekend and an epic.

piton

Oct 11, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #22 of 22 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I usually find supertopo racks to be overkill....

i agree w/ flamer. super topo is good for aid climbing not for free climbing

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook