RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jeep4evr

Jul 16, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

rope washing and dry treatment Q
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I washed my first rope for the first time today, and it got me thinking: Hmmm, how long does the stock dry treatment usually last before I should think about getting a bottle and applying it back on? I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this 8^)

Partner macherry

Jul 17, 2005, 9:06 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

dwebster

Jul 26, 2005, 5:00 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Re: rope washing and dry treatment Q [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In terms of keeping water out of a rope the treatment will fail within the first 2 or 3 uses. This does not mean the rope will be a sponge. It will absorb water but not as fast as a rope with no treatment. Nylon readily wicks water so as soon as it finds a way into the rope it will travel easily within the rope.
Washing a rope may or may not improve (refurbish) the treatment. If you use something like Sport Wash from Atsko or Wicked Good Rope Wash from Sterling the treatment should not degrade and in fact has been shown to revive the water repellent.
There are some after market treatments that are made for nylon fabrics that may work to keep water out but they are short lived. The treatments that work best require heat to cure them but this is not something anyone should undertake without some extremely serious knowledge of the subject and the proper equipment; definitely not something to do at home.
In the end the best function of dry treatments is to reduce abrasion. The treatments act as a lubricant.
To answer your question about whether or not you should treat your rope yourself, well, in order to be affective at repelling water you would need to treat it a day or two before each use and even then expect your rope to get wet to some degree if it comes in contact with water.
Sorry for the info overload.

robo555

Jul 26, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first 2 or 2 uses? You saying dry ropes that costs $30 bucks more only lasts twice?

yetanotherdave

Jul 26, 2005, 7:18 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
first 2 or 2 uses? You saying dry ropes that costs $30 bucks more only lasts twice?

what I read (and this matches my experience) is that the treatment won't keep your rope 100% dry after a few uses on rock. The dry treatment will still repel some water, and reduce drag/improve rope durability long beyond that.

dwebster

Jul 26, 2005, 9:26 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

2 or 3, typo...
and yes $30 for it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook