Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Dirtbagging in Jtree
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chalkfree

Jul 17, 2005, 1:26 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Dirtbagging in Jtree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning to spend a month or so this winter (probly around December) bumming around in Joshua Tree. I'd like to do it on little funding since I'm a poor college student. I'll probly be flying into LAX and imposing on a couple distant relations for a drop in the park, it may or may not be solo, the only thing I'm really worried about is that I don't know the park regs too well and the real National Park site doesn't work for much.

I've read in a couple spots that backpackers are allowed to camp in the park wherever, as long as it's not blocking use.

Any advice from more experienced voices?

I'm fairly well versed in camping and moderately accustomed to desert/high sierra environs, but I'm still a lowland treehugger at heart.

And yeah solo trips aren't the brightest, you try to talk somebody from Minnesota into spending a month in the desert.
Anyone interested in meeting up for a climb or two?

organic

Jul 17, 2005, 3:17 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dirtbagging in Jtree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think backcountry camping is technically "allowed" in J Tree. Camping is $5 per campsite so finding people to stay with and splitting $5 between ya' turns out to virtually nothing. There is a greyhound that runs from palm springs to LA and back. and also a bus from Joshua Tree town(not park) to palm springs. I went by myself, it is easy to make friends as long as you aren't a total chump and only top rope climb or something haha.

socalclimber

Jul 18, 2005, 9:46 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dirtbagging in Jtree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Back country is indeed allowd in the park. You have to register at the trail head. I don't recall all the rules and regs, but I am pretty sure there is a 14 day limit to back country camping, and you need to be 1 mile down the trail and 100 yards off the trail at least.

For the duration of time you are staying, you would probably be better off staying at the climbers ranch located in town. The folks at Nomad can tell you where it is. Also, you will want a car to get into the park, or just make friends at the ranch. It's a LOOOOOOOOooooooooooooonnnnnnggggg walk!

Robert

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook