Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

adventure75

Jul 18, 2005, 6:24 PM
Post #1 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Overweight
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ive read about, and seen, quite a few overweight male climbers, but I cant say the same thing about females. Do they even exist??

Ive only been climbing for a few months now, but I absolutely love it. I can easily say its been discouraging for me to feel like the only 'fatty' out there. I could easily stand to lose 40-50 pounds (Im 5'4" 175lbs). I have too much fat around the middle and its far from attractive(at least in my eyes), unfortunately pregnancies and some past medications didnt agree with my body so well. Ive -slowly- been losing weight over the past year and I know that once I really put my mind to it I can get to where I want to be.

Im not exactly sure what prompted me to post this, and to be honest Im a bit embarrased by it. I guess what Im hoping for is some encouragement or words of advice beyond "exercise and lose some weight" to get me through this until I too have that physique that the rest of you seem to have.

Partner macherry

Jul 18, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #2 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Re: Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

keep climbing...............don't worry about your weight!

There are lots of women climbing, with various body types.

pregnancy is hard on the body.........it took me quite a few years until those extra pounds came off.

lisae

Jul 18, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #3 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From personal experience, you can climb and enjoy your self even if you are overweight. You will get stronger, and develop nice muscles. However, if you want to loose weight, you should emphasize aerobic exercise over climbing.

The major thing is to have fun!

turockgirl

Jul 18, 2005, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ive read about, and seen, quite a few overweight male climbers, but I cant say the same thing about females. Do they even exist??

Ive only been climbing for a few months now, but I absolutely love it. I can easily say its been discouraging for me to feel like the only 'fatty' out there. I could easily stand to lose 40-50 pounds (Im 5'4" 175lbs). I have too much fat around the middle and its far from attractive(at least in my eyes), unfortunately pregnancies and some past medications didnt agree with my body so well. Ive -slowly- been losing weight over the past year and I know that once I really put my mind to it I can get to where I want to be.

Im not exactly sure what prompted me to post this, and to be honest Im a bit embarrased by it. I guess what Im hoping for is some encouragement or words of advice beyond "exercise and lose some weight" to get me through this until I too have that physique that the rest of you seem to have.

I know how you feel! 5'4, 170lbs...started running and its slowly coming off...again.

kimmyt

Jul 18, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #5 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry, we're out there. The important thing to remember is that your body will adjust to your lifestyle. Meaning, you'll probably drop some weight if you continue climbing alot, or at the least gain muscle. You might not lose 50 lbs doing just climbing, but give it some time and you will feel much better in your body, no matter what it looks like in a bikini.

K.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Jul 18, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #6 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The great thing about climbing is that it can be a great workout for anyone at any level. Someone's 5.6 is another person's 5.12. I think it's really encouraging to feel yourself get stronger, especially when you hit the point of realizing you can move ways you never could in the past. I've gained 20 pounds in the past year, but I feel the more I throw myself into my dedication to climbing, the more tuned in I am to the smallest amounts of progress, both mental and physical. In any case, who cares what you look like when you're working out? Keep it up.

ecocliffchick

Jul 19, 2005, 1:04 PM
Post #7 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously climbing is going to be more difficult if you are overweight - which may be why many heavier women are discouraged and don't stick with the sport. I applaud you for your determination.

I find myself trying to lose weight all the time, just so that each move seems a little easier, and that impossible crux starts to look possible...

jt512

Jul 19, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #8 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How to Lose Weight to Improve Your Climbing

turockgirl

Jul 20, 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #9 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Jay, I almost forgot about that thread.

clee03m

Jul 20, 2005, 1:48 PM
Post #10 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think all the times I tried to lose weight, I was doing it for the wrong reasons. When I became more serious about losing weight to optimize my climbing, I became closer to my weight goal than ever. So don't get discouraged; it's about you and not about others. I recommend reading The Rock Warrior's Way to try to focus internally and eliminate distractions like caring what other girls look like. Good luck, and happy climbing.

lewisiarediviva

Jul 22, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #11 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in itself can do wonders. Last year I returned to climbing as a regular thing. Lost 30lbs. That does include hiking to some of my favorite climbs.

And no, you are not the only girl with extra. But when you see those girls out climbing that you would rather look like, remember that you are all out for the same reason, to climb- not to compare yourselves. So chat, we female climbers tend to feel isolated, even thought tons of us exist.

sick_climba

Jul 28, 2005, 7:04 AM
Post #12 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost every climber is over weight! Not in the bad way tho. Im 5'6" and for my build I am 38 lbs over weight... but have a 30 waist line. Its muscle. Lynn hill, she is a buff chick, but very skinny my guess is she weighs close to 130-140 from all her muscle. But in the fat sence they do I'm sure but I have ntot seen any. Girls seem to keep weight off by using their legs so much. Using your legs helps your legs muscles around your lower waist and genital areas and also your butt. In addition to that if used right it can help your lower abbs.
Climb on
Chris

wolfemom

Jul 28, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #13 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb on! The more you climb the more you build up your muscles. As you increase your muscle mass you also increase your metabolism, which might help reduce your BMI.

Also, I've seen quite a few heavier women send some awesome routes!

-Wolfemom

wolfemom

Jul 28, 2005, 2:00 PM
Post #14 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb on! The more you climb the more you build up your muscles. As you increase your muscle mass you also increase your metabolism, which might help reduce your BMI.

Also, I've seen quite a few heavier women send some awesome routes!

-Wolfemom

jt512

Jul 28, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #15 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lynn hill, she is a buff chick, but very skinny my guess is she weighs close to 130-140 from all her muscle.

You must be high.

-Jay

dirtineye

Jul 28, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #16 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey adventure75,

Just keep climbing as much as possible, and add in some sort of aerobic stuff, like long approaches, then don't eat out, cook your own food, and give yourself some time.

If you drink soda, stop, and go for water instead.

I've seen more than one girl go from fatty to hottie in a years time because of climbing and the associated hiking and eating home made camp food instead of fast food.

maculated

Jul 28, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #17 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess what Im hoping for is some encouragement or words of advice beyond "exercise and lose some weight" to get me through this until I too have that physique that the rest of you seem to have.

First, ignore the people that tell you it is all muscle. I've got a very large frame, but I still am not fooled by the folks that go, "Oh, no . . . you're a thick girl because you're athletic." Know what you are or are not.

The more you climb, the more definition you'll see - but I have yet to see anyone who does not also diet and work the cardio angle to truly lose weight - case in point: my abs. My lower abdomen is perfectly flat, but I have a slight bulge around my abs. When I work out more, or do crunches, this bulge gets larger - the muscles will push out your fat to give you more definition - but you still have fat.

Second, if you are truly determined to look like other women out there climbing, and it is that strong of a motivator - you will. But I am telling you that the women out there you see with six packs and perfect bodies already had them (without a lot of, or any, work) - it's probably, like one poster noted, the reason they are out there. It is a lot easier to climb the less you weigh.

Third, get over it - if you're losing weight for you, and you want to make alterations to your lifestyle (and I know it can be hard with kids), you will. But you will likely never stack yourself up to that silly recent poll that tells us what the "average climber" looks like. So - don't you worry about it, okay? I've had people on these forums call me fat, which I know is stupid (I'm definitely not) because I am not built like the average woman climber, and it hurts a little until I blast the little skinny beasties on the rock. :)

dina

Jul 29, 2005, 1:20 AM
Post #18 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maculated,
From what I can see by your pics, YOU ARE NOT FAT! Those people must be crazy. Or jealous.

Sincerely,
A skinny little beastie you could easily blast on the rock :wink:

maculated

Jul 29, 2005, 5:26 AM
Post #19 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not "sponsored athlete" thin, either. That's all. The Internet's a bitch. :)

clee03m

Jul 29, 2005, 2:18 PM
Post #20 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya'll are giving me an eating disorder....

angelaa

Aug 3, 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #21 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really feel your pain. . when I started climbing I was over 200lbs and the last thing I wanted to do was haul my butt up that rock. I worked on it and had lost over 50lbs the first year I climbed. I have gained some of that back, but I am much more active now and I'll never be that unhealthy again!

I am always the biggest one in any group - guys or girls. I teach a few climbing classes in the fall and winter, and I always see looks from my students as they walk into class - its the whole 'she can't be a climber' Look :shock:
but I do what I can with what I have.

Just over the 4th of July in Vedauwoo - Superflea gave me shit for my 'bulging' arms and all I could say was...
"the bigger my a$$ the bigger my biceps have to be!" :D

I'd love to be thinner, but I am (just starting to) dealing with the body type that I was born to be and just trying to stay healthy - and keep up with the husband (damn is he tiny and quick :shock: )
That and we just got back from 2 weeks in Canada and I worked off some more fat and built more muscle . . . time to kick up the work out and keep it off!!!

Good Luck and don't forget to love who you are!

climbsomething

Aug 4, 2005, 7:58 AM
Post #22 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Almost every climber is over weight! Not in the bad way tho. Im 5'6" and for my build I am 38 lbs over weight... but have a 30 waist line. Its muscle. Lynn hill, she is a buff chick, but very skinny my guess is she weighs close to 130-140 from all her muscle. But in the fat sence they do I'm sure but I have ntot seen any. Girls seem to keep weight off by using their legs so much. Using your legs helps your legs muscles around your lower waist and genital areas and also your butt. In addition to that if used right it can help your lower abbs.
Climb on
Chris
I'm not sure how a teenage boy's body type is at all relevant here. And you're so wrong in so many ways anyway. I am definitely not overweight, even with the muscle. I'm still quite (naturally) underweight, if you listen to all the conflicting messages about how women are supposed to look. (KMac and I are considered simultaneously beautiful and nasty) And I'm pretty sure Lynn Hill weighs less than most large dogs, too.

maculated

Aug 4, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #23 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angela, you are my new hero. Congratulations on working off that weight, having a fairly healthy body image, and rocking SO hard. :)

angelaa

Aug 4, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #24 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't be your Hero. . . your mine?!!? 8^)
us girls must stick together . . . :wink:

maculated

Aug 5, 2005, 6:21 AM
Post #25 of 47 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trust me, apply the hero somewhere else, I'm merely average.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook