RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

pomattic

Jul 19, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Your chance to be heard.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently gathering information related to extreme sports and the risks taken. I am specifically investigating how ones participation in an extreme sport affects their choice in the type of family they will have. I am also investigating how ones family may affect their behavior while participating in these activities. If you have some time you could spend, on the below survey it would be greatly appreciated.

Instructions:
Please fill out the below survey with honesty and truth. If any question is too personal or makes you uncomfortable please feel free to omit an answer. When a question can be answered with yes or no please simply do so. If a question asks for a comment, one would be appreciated but if time does not permit it feel free to omit one. The definition of an extreme sport can vary so please use your own definition. If you wish to ask me if the sport is considered ‘extreme’ feel free to do so at my email address (see next paragraph for email address) or send me a personal message.

Please send the completed survey to me at mattjalow-at_gmail-com . Or if you are willing to share this information with others you may post it here. The information I receive will not be distributed to others. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me and I would be happy to answer them. The gathering of information will end on Thursday the 21st of July 2005.

Questions:
1. What are the main extreme sports you participate in? (list a maximum of 3)

2. Which one do you participate in most often? (one out of above three)

3. How old are you?

4. How old were you when you began this sport? (“this sport” refers to the sport you take part in the most often)

5. What is your marital/ family status? (ie. Married & single, married & have two kids, etc.)

6. Did enrolment in this sport affect your present or future marital/ family status? If yes, how so?

7. If married or have children, does anyone in you family participate in this sport with you? If yes, who?

8. If married or have children, how do you reconcile this sport with your responsibilities to your family?

9. Do you consider the consequences of the loss of you life when preparing for this sport? (feel free to add a comment)

10. About how much time weekly do you spend participating in this sport?

11. Does your family affect the time you spend in this sport?

12. Do you feel your family affect the level at which you perform your sport? If so, in what way? (please feel free to elaborate)

13. Do you feel safety is important when participating in this sport?

14. Do you consider the impact the lack of safety may have on your family when participating in this sport?

15. Do you consider people who participate in dangerous sports and who have a family as irresponsible?

If you have any additional comments or this topic you wish to leave feel free to do so here:

Thank you

-----------------------------------------------------------
I will only be using the first 10 that I receive but will review them all. If you wish that I post the found results please reply saying so in this forum (this will also leave the topic on the first page of the general forum and so others will be able to fill it out.) Thank you again.

[edited] to remove email address...

(This post was edited by pomattic on Dec 17, 2006, 8:40 PM)

andy_reagan

Jul 19, 2005, 7:54 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Re: Your chance to be heard. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the feeling the people that consider climbing an "extreme sport" and will therefore fill out your survey are not going to be a good representation of the climbing community as a whole.

dingus

Jul 19, 2005, 7:54 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too much work to email.

Questions:
Climbing in its various forms.

Rock climbing

3. How old are you?

4. How old were you when you began this sport? (“this sport” refers to the sport you take part in the most often)

5. What is your marital/ family status? (ie. Married & single, married & have two kids, etc.)
married w/2 kids

6. Did enrolment in this sport affect your present or future marital/ family status? If yes, how so?
no

7. If married or have children, does anyone in you family participate in this sport with you? If yes, who?
yes,kids

8. If married or have children, how do you reconcile this sport with your responsibilities to your family?
I don't.

9. Do you consider the consequences of the loss of you life when preparing for this sport? (feel free to add a comment)
Yes.

on avg., 1 day per week when fit

Yes

12. Do you feel your family affect the level at which you perform your sport? If so, in what way? (please feel free to elaborate)
No. I'm my own limiter.

Sure, safety's important

14. Do you consider the impact the lack of safety may have on your family when participating in this sport?
Yes.

15. Do you consider people who participate in dangerous sports and who have a family as irresponsible?
Not necessarily, mostly no.

ikefromla

Jul 19, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Questions:
1. Climbing, skiing/snowboarding

2. Climbing

3. 19

4. 12

5. not married

6. Not that I'm aware of

7. n/a

8. n/a

9. climbing is inherently dangerous. i don't really consider those consequences.. we all know what they are.

10. during school: roughly 2 days. on vacation: roughly 4 or 5 days.

11. NO

12. my family is supportive.. so they affect the level at which i climb positively.

13. of course

14. Not generally.

15. sometimes i consider those who free solo and have families as irresponsible.. but i also know that what they pursue personally is none of my business. i have friends who solo and have families and they are some of the most sound people i know.

If you have any additional comments or this topic you wish to leave feel free to do so here: i don't consider trad, sport climbing and bouldering to be of the same level of danger as free soloing.. therefore, the consequences are VERY different and hard to compair. I feel very safe when sport climbing and bouldering.. as well as trad climbing.

caughtinside

Jul 19, 2005, 8:04 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Based on Dingus's responses to the survey, I can only conclude that climbing isn't very extreme. Time for me to pack up and get into a sport that's way more X. I mean way, way, more X, dude.

pomattic

Jul 19, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you to those who have already responded. This is not supposed to be a discussion of whether or not climbing is an extreme sport. If you wish to discuss this start a new topic and i am more then willing to discuss this never ending debate. Thanks again and hope to here more from you.

hortisb

Jul 19, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the feeling the people that consider climbing an "extreme sport" and will therefore fill out your survey are not going to be a good representation of the climbing community as a whole.

I do not consider climbing an extreme sport either, so I'll respond to bring statistical balance to this survey.

Questions:
1. What are the main "extreme" sports you participate in? (list a maximum of 3) Rock climbing, whitewater kayaking

Rock Climbing

3. How old are you? 26

4. How old were you when you began this sport? (“this sport” refers to the sport you take part in the most often) 15

5. What is your marital/ family status? (ie. Married & single, married & have two kids, etc.) Single, soon to be married

6. Did enrollment in this sport affect your present or future marital/ family status? If yes, how so? No

7. If married or have children, does anyone in you family participate in this sport with you? If yes, who? No

9. Do you consider the consequences of the loss of you life when preparing for this sport? (feel free to add a comment) Safety is always an issue and climbing is "inherently dangerous". However, with preparation, common sense and strict safety practices climbing is safer than most other daily activities (ie driving).

5 times a week

11. Does your family affect the time you spend in this sport? No

12. Do you feel your family affect the level at which you perform your sport? If so, in what way? (please feel free to elaborate) No

13. Do you feel safety is important when participating in this sport? Safety is the sport! If one truly loves to climb, then safety will always be number one. Those who truly love climbing will make sure they live to climb the next challenge.

15. Do you consider people who participate in dangerous sports and who have a family as irresponsible? Climbing can be a family sport. Most of my friends climb with their spouses. I frequently see parents with their kids. If done safely, climbing strengthen a family and be shared as a common bond, as will any family activity.

Good luck with the survey. We would love to see the results when all the data is compiled.

Partner drector

Jul 19, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock Climbing. Used to fly small planes.

Rock CLimbikng.

3. How old are you?

Married. One child.

No.

Almost no. My daughter has touched the rock a few times. She is nine.

The same way I reconcile driving a car, flying on a plane, and eating raw fish. There is nothing to reconcile.

Yes.

One day on average.

Yes.

Yes. I do not free solo. Otherwise no. I climb as hard as I can.

Extremely important.

Yes.

No.

Dave

pomattic

Jul 20, 2005, 1:38 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all. I am still wanting more but the ones i have received are greatly appreciated. And something i wasnt expecting but and glad about is that i am hearing from obviously mainly climbers but also from many other sports. Thank you to all who have done this and i hope to hear from more of you.

far_east_climber

Jul 20, 2005, 2:12 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing, surfing and downhill skateboarding.

Surfing.

3. How old are you?

19 years old.

14 years old.

Single.

Yes. Since I have started surfing, I decided that if I were to be in a relationship, I would like my partner to also participate in surfing. I think my inability to find a partner who shares the same passion as me has led me to staying single.

N/A

N/A

Yes and no. I am aware that there are situations in surfing that can be life-threatening, however, I also take the view that daily activities (i.e. driving) do hold an equal amount of risk. Nevertheless, this does not stop me from taking the necessary precautionary measures in surfing, inorder to ensure my safety.

2-30 hours in total. Up to 5 times a week. On average, 10 hours a week.

Yes. If I have house duties or obligatory family activities, I cannot participate in surfing (or my time is limited)

In an abstract sense, yes. I think when I was a young child, like most, I was instilled with a sense of the need to self-preserve. I feel that if I wasn't brought up with an attitude to be cautious and wise I would probably be charging heavy and big waves.

Overall, my family is supportive of my sport and wants me to do as well as I can.

Yes. Safety is very important. Like many challenging sports, you have to know where you stand.

I most definately do. I am aware that if I let my guard down, at certain times, I could end up injuring/killing myself.

I do not consider people who participate in dangerous sports irresponsible. However, I do feel people who have families and conciously carry out execisvely dangerous acts within their sport are very irresponsible. When you have a family, you need to make sure you can be around, especially for the children. Overall though, if a family man/woman participates in a dangerous sport and stays well within their limits and takes necessary safety measures, there is nothing wrong at all.

Partner gunksgoer

Jul 20, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. What are the main extreme sports you participate in? (list a maximum of 3) Rock Climbing, Skiing

Rock Climbing, by far

3. How old are you?
still perdy young

4. How old were you when you began this sport? (“this sport” refers to the sport you take part in the most often) 12

5. What is your marital/ family status? (ie. Married & single, married & have two kids, etc.) single of course

6. Did enrolment in this sport affect your present or future marital/ family status? If yes, how so? no

7. If married or have children, does anyone in you family participate in this sport with you? If yes, who? n/a

8. If married or have children, how do you reconcile this sport with your responsibilities to your family? n/a

9. Do you consider the consequences of the loss of you life when preparing for this sport? (feel free to add a comment) yes, i realize there is risk in everything

2 or 3 days

11. Does your family affect the time you spend in this sport? yes

12. Do you feel your family affect the level at which you perform your sport? If so, in what way? (please feel free to elaborate) no

psh, duh

14. Do you consider the impact the lack of safety may have on your family when participating in this sport? To a certain extent

15. Do you consider people who participate in dangerous sports and who have a family as irresponsible? no

If you have any additional comments or this topic you wish to leave feel free to do so here:

Im in the mood for ice cream, its damn hot.

davidorchard

Jul 20, 2005, 2:55 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i also don't consider climbing extreme (at least not the ones i participate). but here goes.

Questions:
1. What are the main extreme sports you participate in? (list a maximum of 3) climbing, muni

2. Which one do you participate in most often? (one out of above three) climbing

3. How old are you? 31

4. How old were you when you began this sport? (“this sport” refers to the sport you take part in the most often) 22

5. What is your marital/ family status? (ie. Married & single, married & have two kids, etc.) married with two kids (both 3 1/2) one due in february

6. Did enrollment in this sport affect your present or future marital/ family status? If yes, how so? yes, my wife understands my need to climb and permits it.

7. If married or have children, does anyone in you family participate in this sport with you? If yes, who? yes, my wife did originally and hopefully will again. my daughters go out with me at least twice a week and get to climb when it is their turn.

8. If married or have children, how do you reconcile this sport with your responsibilities to your family? i try to include the family, but it is nice to get away sometimes. i don't shirk any of my family duties to climb, and when i am really good i might get to take a road trip solo, where i usually miss them the whole time i am gone (i never thought i would say that when i was single).

9. Do you consider the consequences of the loss of you life when preparing for this sport? (feel free to add a comment) generally i only participate in sport, trad or bouldering. i have injured myself most bouldering, but don't think i have ever come close to life loss. so i guess i don't consider the consequences.

10. About how much time weekly do you spend participating in this sport? recently, 10 to 20, but that number isn't very descriptive of how much i actually get to climb since i am also taking care of my girls, but that is about how much time i spend at the crags.

11. Does your family affect the time you spend in this sport? yes, but in a good way. since my wife works nights, it is easier for her if i am out of the house. what better reason to get out of the house than to climb?

12. Do you feel your family affect the level at which you perform your sport? If so, in what way? (please feel free to elaborate) yes. if i am trying to climb something that is at my limit and the girls are being needy, it is really distracting and i don't do as well. but that has only happened once.

13. Do you feel safety is important when participating in this sport? very important

14. Do you consider the impact the lack of safety may have on your family when participating in this sport? i don't really participate where there is a lack of safety involved. they don't either.

15. Do you consider people who participate in dangerous sports and who have a family as irresponsible? if the sport is truly dangerous, but climbing is perceived as dangerous (again, at the level i participate)

pomattic

Jul 20, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once again i thank all who gave me a response through email or on this site. I have received well beyond what i require but i still appreciate each one who participated. If you wish to fill this out feel free to, i will consider your views and would appreciate them. Thank you again!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook