Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cjstudent

Jul 20, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #26 of 31 (7252 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Trango Cinch for soloing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since I started this thread I to have had a chance to try out the unmodified Gri Gri, the Modified Gri Gri and the Cinch on a few pitches each. The cinch definatly feeds smother and locks quicker, it also, as others have mentioned, doesn't require any modifications. I felt that the only down fall is that it's awkward to lower out with on penjis and such, because of the tiny handel, this makes for a jerky lower out, which if done on scary gear would raise the pucker factor a bit. The gri gri is tried and true. The truth is, I still can't decide which I like better! I just can't get past that tiny handel!

I used my cinch on El Cap and did not have any problems with it being jerky on lower outs. For full on rapping I think it is hard to find the "sweet spot" and I thus still use my ATC for rappelling.

I love the cinch. I use it on multi-pitch climbing to bring up a 2nd straight off the anchor, and when i am guiding for my university.

cchildre

Jul 20, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #27 of 31 (7252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since I started this thread I to have had a chance to try out the unmodified Gri Gri, the Modified Gri Gri and the Cinch on a few pitches each. The cinch definatly feeds smother and locks quicker, it also, as others have mentioned, doesn't require any modifications. I felt that the only down fall is that it's awkward to lower out with on penjis and such, because of the tiny handel, this makes for a jerky lower out, which if done on scary gear would raise the pucker factor a bit. The gri gri is tried and true. The truth is, I still can't decide which I like better! I just can't get past that tiny handel!

This is a problem with both the Gri and the Cinch, and there is a simple solution. When you lower, hold your brake hand on the rope just like you would using an ATC. Pull the brake handle completely open with your free hand and lower using your brake hand to control the speed, not the handle. Bad things happen just release the handle and it locks, but you can still get down smooth. Give it a try and see what you think.

no_one

Jul 20, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #28 of 31 (7252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cjstudent said
In reply to:
I used my cinch on El Cap and did not have any problems with it being jerky on lower outs. For full on rapping I think it is hard to find the "sweet spot" and I thus still use my ATC for rappelling.
Exactly! The "sweet spot", that's what I'm talking about! Precisely why I lean alittle more in favor of the gri gri. It's great for "full on (single line) rapping". I feel it's better to use one tool that suites as many applications as possible rather than carying multiple tools to handle each different scenario. You are also right about the ATC! It's also my preferd choice for double rope rapping. I never leave the ground without it! But that's not the subject. In fact the subject really wasn't even comparing the gri gri and the cinch but, whatever! I would like to touch on one of the positive aspect of the cinch alittle more. The fact that it doesn't need to be drilled to be attached to your chest harness. I took a piece of cordage (3 mil) tide it through the big hole in the center as others have suggested, stuffed the not into the big hole and gerth hitched it to my chest harness where it remained for 4 day on El Cap. That was pretty cool. It was always there when I needed it. Just waiting quietly to be used! Ahh, good cinch! BUTT, I still can't say I like it better than my modified gri gri. What I can definitely say is that if you don't care about the extra weight, take the cinch for self belay, the gri gri for single rope rapping, and the ATC for double rope rapping :D

sspssp

Jul 20, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #29 of 31 (7252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This is a problem with both the Gri and the Cinch, and there is a simple solution. When you lower, hold your brake hand on the rope just like you would using an ATC. Pull the brake handle completely open with your free hand and lower using your brake hand to control the speed, not the handle. Bad things happen just release the handle and it locks, but you can still get down smooth. Give it a try and see what you think.

Have you really tried this with a Cinch (I would guess not)? At least with a rope in the 10.2 or smaller size? The Cinch doesn't "brake" when you try to treat it like an ATC (and like the Grigri will). If you open the Cinch all the way up, it isn't much different than just hanging on to a free rope. I generally prefer the Cinch over the Grigri, but the lowering bit is its weak link (and I'm hoping for an updated design).

kevanrobitaille

Mar 13, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #30 of 31 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] The Trango Cinch for soloing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A climber I know uses the cinch for solo top roping. He recommended I buy one, so I did...considering it was so much cheaper than the silent partner AND could be used as a belay device.

I can't figure out how to lower with the thing though. The two times I've tried solo top roping, I've gotten stuck. (That'll teach me to try my project the first two times soloing...seriously now that I think about it I can't believe how bad of an idea that was).

Anyway, some one told me I have to use my 'thumb on the pivot', looked at the instruction manual online, but still can't lower with the thing. It either bites down solid, or opens up completely and I fall/jerk/fall repeat. Any trick to smoother lowering? Or just not do any thing over-hanging so when I fall i wont be stuck and have to pressic up and switch devices to get back down?

Partner climbinginchico

Mar 15, 2007, 3:39 AM
Post #31 of 31 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevanrobitaille] The Trango Cinch for soloing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried redirecting the brake strand like in the directions?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook