Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

crackrn

Jul 19, 2005, 5:05 AM
Post #1 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Engaged/married/ring wearing folks...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you do with your ring? I just got engaged and not having had to deal with a ring before am wondering what people do with it when they climb? Do people leave it at home? In the car? Wear it on a necklace? It's just new enough that I'm sad about leaving it at home for 2 weeks at a time but would rather do that then risk losing the ring or worse, losing a finger.
Yes, I'm a dorky girl. :oops:

eta...just saw another post...forgot to do a search. Humor me, okay? :)

rvega

Jul 19, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #2 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Re: Engaged/married/ring wearing folks... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We leave our rings at home or in the car. I've heard of other people doing the necklace bit, but I'd worry about it breaking and the ring falling off. I've heard of other people taping the ring down so that it can't get scratched but I think you could still get it caught and hurt your finger.

ecocliffchick

Jul 19, 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #3 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I put it on a mini biner and clip it to my harness (obviously doesn't work if you're a boulderer, though).

crackmd

Jul 19, 2005, 1:45 PM
Post #4 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've heard of other people taping the ring down so that it can't get scratched but I think you could still get it caught and hurt your finger.

Rings should never be worn while climbing. There have been cases of people suffering permanent damage or loss of the finger because of constriction of blood flow to an injured, swollen finger by a ring. Furthermore, if the ring gets stuck on the finger because of swelling, it may need to be cut off to avoid these complications.

wonderwoman

Jul 19, 2005, 2:18 PM
Post #5 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lost my wedding ring on Friday. :cry: Since we climb so much, we decided that we would not spend a lot on wedding rings that will probably be lost anyway. We spent a total of $20 for both rings.

If I am going climbing, I will leave my rings at home. The swelling of my hands from climbing made ring wearing difficult anyway. My ring was a little big on me, so I think it just fell off my finger at work. I love my ring and I hope I find it soon!

My mom (not a climber) told me she's been through 7 wedding rings and 3 engagement rings. That made me feel a little better.

My engagement ring is amber. I don't do the diamond thing. Don't like 'em. Won't be kicking myself if I lose it.

granite_grrl

Jul 19, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #6 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No wedding ring, but I do like to wear my Iron ring (ring Canadian engineers recieve when they're almost done their schooling).

I did the necklace thing, till the necklace broke on me :? . The ring is cheap to replace so I'm not that concerned about loosing it. I've tried the ring on a biner thing, even while bouldering you can have one of those mini fake biners hanging off your chalk bag. The problem with this is that it'll get scuffed, not a problem with a cheap ring, but something like a diamond engagement ring??

Frankly most of the time I leave it at home on my bathroom shelf. I'm also not allowed to wear rings at work, so I only tend to put it on on days that I'm not working or climbing.

elshells

Jul 20, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #7 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I never wear our rings except when we are home for the holidays. When we first started climbing he lost his ring. I don't care for the object itself, but they are very sentimental because we both had them secretly engraved. On our wedding day when I looked to see what he had engraved on mine it was the exact thing i had engraved on his..an IP address (we are nerds). Anyway I was crushed when he lost his ring, but we found it weeks later in a pants pocket. Ever since then we don't wear our rings because you never know when you will want to go climbing!

I do like my rings a lot, but I really like my fingers always working and I like knowing that my rings are always safe at home.

Also congratulations. I think you just wanted to tell us that you were engaged :)

crackrn

Jul 20, 2005, 3:48 AM
Post #8 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:mrgreen:

It's just so much fun! But I really did want to know what people do with them. I'm thinking I"m going to have to get used to leaving it/them at home. Not sure I want to leave it in our room at Potrero Chico...

robo555

Jul 20, 2005, 6:30 AM
Post #9 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I looked to see what he had engraved on mine it was the exact thing i had engraved on his..an IP address

That is sooo romantic

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Jul 20, 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #10 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!

I'm not engaged nor have I ever been; however, I'd probably leave the rings at home as I wouldn't want them to be lost or whatever. (not that I am a diamond girl either but I do hope that once the time comes, I'll be able to design and caste his ring).

ah what the hell am i saying?!

blk

clee03m

Jul 20, 2005, 1:50 PM
Post #11 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I never wear rings when we do any kind of work out including climbing. We leave them at home. Too many cars get broken into. I know it's hard to take them off when you first get it....:) Congrats.

gblauer

Jul 20, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #12 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best wishes!

All my rings and things are in the safe deposit box at the bank. My rings are all too small for my swollen rock climbing fingers.

The only thing i wear are diamond stud. Even that's not safe...no too long ago, I lost one at the Gunks when I pulled my fleece off over my head, snagging my ear. One single carat diamond has now returned back to nature. I replaced it, still wear them climbing, but they are now screw backs.

elshells

Jul 20, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #13 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I looked to see what he had engraved on mine it was the exact thing i had engraved on his..an IP address

That is sooo romantic

...it is pretty nerdy, but it is sweet to me :wink:

scoobie

Jul 20, 2005, 6:57 PM
Post #14 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I started climbing about 5 years or more.I put all my rings including my wedding ring on a locking biner and attach it my bra strap.This way I don't have to worry about losing them or them getting stolen. congrats. :D

sick_climba

Jul 21, 2005, 6:07 AM
Post #15 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do you do with your ring? I just got engaged and not having had to deal with a ring before am wondering what people do with it when they climb? Do people leave it at home? In the car? Wear it on a necklace? It's just new enough that I'm sad about leaving it at home for 2 weeks at a time but would rather do that then risk losing the ring or worse, losing a finger.
Yes, I'm a dorky girl. :oops:

eta...just saw another post...forgot to do a search. Humor me, okay? :)
Well... I wear a Sterling silver ring my girl made for me (matching I made hers she made mine (I am a silversmith)) And for a while I'd forget to take it off because I never take it off I wear it to bed, in the shower, every where because it reminds me of Shanti. I never lost my finger but the ring got beat to hell and I had to buff it out numorouse times. I finaly got it through my head and started bringing a lil zip lock bag wit me so I could take it off put it in there and set it down so it wouldn't role away or get scuffed!
Climb on
Chris
Ps.... Getting engaged or need custom wedding bands? Pm me and I will send you pics of the 50 or so wedding bands/engament rings I have designed, made, and sold! Or call me at (970)-618-7810!You tell me what you want and I will hand make it, sand blast it, or cast it!

aimeerose

Jul 25, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #16 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just leave my rings at home. My husband and I just went on a 6 week road trip and I left both engagement and wedding band at home. I missed wearing them, but I'd rather do that than lose them. He doesn't wear a ring, however. He lost his about a year after we were married, but he didn't wear it much anyways- not a jewelry kind of guy.

cliffmama

Jul 26, 2005, 1:30 AM
Post #17 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I used to wear my rings, I would leave them home - as well as any nice earrings or necklaces. Just don't want to risk losing them. Same with when I hike. It's one thing to lose a piece of jewelry sitting in your home or office, but it's pretty hopeless when it falls down a cliff or in an unknown location in the leaves on the trail.

However, since I started climbing more regularly, especially in the climbing gym, my fingers are always in a fluctuating state of swelling or callousing, and never seem to be the same size. My rings just don't fit well anymore. I haven't worn my diamond engagement ring & wedding band in about 5 years. Even if I get them resized bigger, if I go through a non-climbing spell and my hands are cold, they will be too big and fall off. My husband doesn't seem to mind, and after all the many years we've been together, we're not really uptight about any symbolism of me not wearing my rings.

Jannette

kcrag

Jul 26, 2005, 4:27 AM
Post #18 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't y'all just exchange tattoos instead?

aimeerose

Jul 26, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #19 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tatoos are an interesting idea, but they don't last long on the hands and there's always the problem of the tatoo outlasing the marriage!

angelaa

Aug 3, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #20 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We never wear our rings on any climbing trip - leave them at home. . .
On our 2 week trip to Canada we left them at home - I really missed wearing mine, but I didn't want to misplace it in the mess that was our life for those two weeks.

The 2nd day I ever climbed I forgot to take my rings off - I proceeded to get my ring stuck in a crack - and it took some time and a LOT of panic to get both my finger and the ring out. I then had to soak my red swollen finger in the river to try to reduce the swelling and get the ring off before my finger fell off from lack of blood!! :lol:

never again - all jewelry stays home on any rock climbing trip - ALL JEWELRY!!!

sfclimbergirl

Aug 11, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #21 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tatoos are an interesting idea, but they don't last long on the hands and there's always the problem of the tatoo outlasing the marriage!

My engagement ring is still floating around somewhere in one of my chalkbags. I never wore it. So for my wedding ring, I had it tattooed on my finger - on the top part, but not the underside of the finger. This way, the tattoo lasts much longer. My husband is also a climber so he has the same tattoo on his finger. When there's a cute boy around, I just put tape around my tattoo :D But seriously, I love having my ring tattooed. Too many people enter marriages these days with the idea that if it doesn't work out, then it's really easy to get a divorce. Having our wedding band permanently tattooed forces us to work through our marriage and grow from our experience.

harmonydoc

Aug 11, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #22 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear mine on my necklace - a short gold chain that I pretty much never take off - I seem to be in the minority, though ...

climberterp

Aug 12, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #23 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My rings stay at home while I climb....don't want to risk dropping or losing them out in the woods somewhere. Plus, if I'm climbing for a few days in a row the rings won't fit back on at night anyway, so there's no point having them with me.

chknlittle

Aug 24, 2005, 1:48 AM
Post #24 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But your Hubby doesn't mind? I would think that was insulting unless as a climber he could understand. It would be so sad to lose a wedding ring but why not wear it on a necklace while you climb? For some people it just isn't as important as it is for others so I understand but I'm different and wouldn't want to leave mine at home or have my hubby do the same. But, hey, I'm not married and you are so what the heck do I know? :)

angelaa

Aug 24, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #25 of 37 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to think the same thing (before I was married), but it just isn't practical to do that all the time.
Wouldn't you rather NOT wear it all the time (or take it everywhere with you) and always have your ring, than to take it with you and lose it? :cry:

An insulting to your Hubby? I guess I don't get that... mine could careless if I wore a ring or not. He knows that I love him only and the ring is only society's infliction on what we should do as married couples. :evil:

- but I won't go down that road, it'll just open up a can of worms in regards to 'kids' . . . . :oops:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook