Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Jul 28, 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #76 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Re: I need route names for the RC.com Wall. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Better than a sport route! :)

Dave, what have you done to this poor girl to make her think this way?

-Jay

jt512

Jul 28, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #77 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Route name: Moderate This!

-Jay

caughtinside

Jul 28, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #78 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

I don't think it was my fault. I have, however, tried to win her back over. Unfortunately, I might be forced to conclude that not everyone shares my affection for steep choss.

Steep climbs, big holds, no 25lbs of nonsense dangling off your harness, what's not to love?

jt512

Jul 28, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #79 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

I don't think it was my fault. I have, however, tried to win her back over. Unfortunately, I might be forced to conclude that not everyone shares my affection for steep choss.

Steep climbs, big holds, no 25lbs of nonsense dangling off your harness, what's not to love?

Preaching to the choir. I hear that some people prefer not to have the holds come off in their hands, but you get over that.

-Jay

caughtinside

Jul 28, 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #80 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Preaching to the choir. I hear that some people prefer not to have the holds come off in their hands, but you get over that.

-Jay

Doesn't even faze me anymore. Except when it costs me the RP. Heh, the last climb I RP'ed, I broke an important handhold off 1/3 of the way up when I stood on it. Hung on, and the thought of doing the climb again without that hold was enough motivation to finish it clean.

Hell yeah I sent! Who knows how hard it goes now! :P

healyje

Jul 28, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #81 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to be the AIDS case at the orgy, but I find it pretty hollow and sad that someone claiming to have the drive and creativity to put up [hopefully interesting] routes would then name them some clever bullshit from the Internet that has nothing to do with, and conveys nothing unique about, the routes or the experience of climbing them.

To me this is pretty symptomatic of everything that's wrong with "developing" crags as a "community service" and taking the liberty / "privilege" of putting up routes for some other reason then being absolutely in love with the idea of, and obsessed with, each and every potential route. If you were that and you did send them an appropriate name would be there waiting at the end of each experience. As it is this sounds a lot like - "drill, bolt, send, label, tick, spray, publish - next" repeated ad nausem until you reach the other end of the crag. This may be some folks idea of climbing but it sure isn't mine. If you're claiming the "privilege", then maybe consider puting a little soul into the process and effort...

That said my contribution would be, "Looking for a life in all the wrong places."

flamer

Jul 28, 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #82 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Not to be the AIDS case at the orgy, but I find it pretty hollow and sad that someone claiming to have the drive and creativity to put up [hopefully interesting] routes would then name them some clever s--- from the Internet that has nothing to do with, and conveys nothing unique about, the routes or the experience of climbing them.

To me this is pretty symptomatic of everything that's wrong with "developing" crags as a "community service" and taking the liberty / "privilege" of putting up routes for some other reason then being absolutely in love with the idea of, and obsessed with, each and every potential route. If you were that and you did send them an appropriate name would be there waiting at the end of each experience. As it is this sounds a lot like - "drill, bolt, send, label, tick, spray, publish - next" repeated ad nausem until you reach the other end of the crag. This may be some folks idea of climbing but it sure isn't mine. If you're claiming the "privilege", then maybe consider puting a little soul into the process and effort...

That said my contribution would be, "Looking for a life in all the wrong places."

SHUT THE FUCK UP, HIPPEE!!!!

josh

clausti

Jul 28, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #83 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, if you named a route "claustiphobia" i would be more than honored. i should hope that it would be an appropriately *scary* route, though, be it 5.8 or 5.13.

jred

Jul 28, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #84 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will have to agree with healyje on this one. Are you actually going to let people who have never even been to Castlegar name the routes there? How dull and unimaginative. Castlegar is an unique, albeit stinky little town that should be capable of inspiring many clever, apt names. Why let a bunch of bickering web nerds, mostly from other countries name your routes?

southbayclimber

Jul 28, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #85 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not to be the AIDS case at the orgy,

wow.

healyje

Jul 29, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #86 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

wow.

Admittedly tasteless - swap for the metaphor of your choice...

healyje

Jul 29, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #87 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
SHUT THE f--- UP, HIPPEE!!!!

josh

Now aren't you just the clever little monkey - no doubt a virtual font of witty creativity on your good days...

wonderwoman

Jul 29, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #88 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

wow.

Admittedly tasteless - swap for the metaphor of your choice...

Tasteless enough to be nominated as a route name? 'AIDS case at the orgy' sounds like a rated X climb to me.

jt512

Jul 29, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #89 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not to be the AIDS case at the orgy

Route name #1!

In reply to:
but I find it pretty hollow and sad that someone claiming to have the drive and creativity to put up [hopefully interesting] routes would then name them some clever s--- from the Internet that has nothing to do with, and conveys nothing unique about, the routes or the experience of climbing them.

To me this is pretty symptomatic of everything that's wrong with "developing" crags as a "community service" and taking the liberty / "privilege" of putting up routes for some other reason then being absolutely in love with the idea of, and obsessed with, each and every potential route. If you were that and you did send them an appropriate name would be there waiting at the end of each experience. As it is this sounds a lot like "drill, bolt, send, label, tick, spray, publish - next"

route name #2 (a little long for a route name, but I like it)!

In reply to:

Route name #3!

You're a genius!

-Jay

curt

Jul 29, 2005, 3:27 AM
Post #90 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I’m currently in the thick of developing a new crag in my home town of Castlegar British Columbia. Besides a few friends, who are helping me, I’ve been putting up most of all the routes and as such I’ve have the privilege of naming them.

Here’s where things get interesting. I’m sure a few of you will be pleased, or applaud, that I’ve decided to name routes on the wall after some of the more prolific members on RC.com, some members I know personally, others I just know through the site and enjoy the contributions they’ve made over the years.

Obviously, you're fairly fond of "You're drunk, aren't you?" :lol:

Curt

flamer

Jul 29, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #91 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
SHUT THE f--- UP, HIPPEE!!!!

josh

Now aren't you just the clever little monkey - no doubt a virtual font of witty creativity on your good days...

Sorry I was actually just playing with you abit....
Someone actually rated it highly????

Anyway i have to ask #1 why you care enough to post and #2 if you don't like it that much than why would you want to contribute at all?

josh

healyje

Jul 29, 2005, 8:10 AM
Post #92 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry I was actually just playing with you abit....
Someone actually rated it highly????

No problem Josh...

In reply to:
Anyway i have to ask #1 why you care enough to post...

Well, for one, this sort of thing has always bugged the sh#t out of me as the privilege of naming a route is just that, and in the end it says as much about you as it does about the route - particularly when it says nothing about the route or the experience of climbing it. So when someone names their hot new route "Fantastic Four" because they saw the movie the night before I can only shake my head in wonder at the lost opportunity (and I've seen just that scenario played out). Again, maybe I just get overly ritualistic, but it's a one-time deal and seeing it pretty much pissed away is always a bit sad.

In reply to:
...and #2 if you don't like it that much than why would you want to contribute at all?

Well, because I'm hearing this more often and usually in the context of someone doing "development" as a "community service", both concepts that are pretty abhorent to me when it comes to FA's which I do consider a bit sacred for lack of a better word. I'm pretty much old school when it comes to only putting up climbs for yourself and then only when you are totally obsessed with some aspect of a line - the puzzle, the difficulty, the setting, the flow of moves, some particularly interesting problem - something that lures you to it.

If you aren't completely empassioned about it than it's just some perverse form of masturbation as far as I'm concerned and better left for someone who will have some passion for it. And if you can't come up with enough connection to that passion, the route, and the experience to dig up a name that really means something in relationship to them, then well I'm sorry, but you're just trivializing something pretty damn special that only comes around once. They're real routes on real rocks and not a line of colored 3M tape that will be swapped out in three weeks. I guess the short answer for me simply comes down to having a little respect for both yourself, the rock, and the privilege you were lucky enough to have...

As far as my "contribution", it was sarcasm, not a serious contribution...

dirtineye

Jul 29, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #93 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wow this is gay. shame on you curt for participating. if i ever see you at lw we will have words...

What can I say, I was bored...
Besides, I bet you wouldn't be willing to walk far enough to fiind me at LW hahaha.

Partner epoch

Jul 29, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #94 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Route Name:

Masquerading Assholes

Something that looks pleasant on the ground, but is hell about 20 feet up. :D

jt512

Jul 29, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #95 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's what was so great about it. By way of sarcasm, you came up with a great route name. They're sport routes, dude. Dime a dozen. Lighten up.

-Jay

caughtinside

Jul 29, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #96 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good spotting, jay. Of course the best one was his 'serious' suggestion. Looking for a life in all the wrong places. Hah! :P

healyje

Jul 29, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #97 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's what was so great about it. By way of sarcasm, you came up with a great route name. They're sport routes, dude. Dime a dozen. Lighten up.

-Jay

Jay, that could be a good sport crag name and more or less inadvertantly points out the whole attitudinal problem that makes the whole "Lighten Up" part a bit difficult.

dingus

Jul 29, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #98 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think route names should run the full gamut from sacred to irreverant and even profane, and all points inbetween.

I hear you Healyje. My only comment is that I see there is room for other styles in the room. Even something as casual as a song title can grow on to become a comment on the times, a period piece.

Did the FA of a route we named 'Welcome to the Machine' in honor of our favorite Pink Floyd album, the fact that we were listening to it on the way to the crag, and this was our first successful foray into the real meat of this cliff.

20 years later the name seems very apt and a comment on the times. You'd like it too, loose rock, steep, half assed natural pro and great position!

We also did Shock the Monkey on that cliff, as well as Shock the Other Monkey (twin roofs).

Anyway, I agree that route naming is art. Open your heart to other brands my friend!

DMT

scrappydoo

Jul 29, 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #99 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I skipped to the end so this may have already been mentioned, but definately don't forget Subtle's "ask the NOOB" thread... talk about a wealth of route names!

"ninja's with ham sandwiches", "allez, homard", "Prana beanies and BO", Subtle: the nubile NOOB"

Oh, the possibilities!...

jred

Jul 29, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #100 of 107 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allowing people to name your routes is quite possibly one of the lamest ideas I have ever heard. Are you really that dull and uninspired? Most of these people can not even locate Castlegar on a map, hell I bet there are even a few who can not even locate BC. What are you thinking? Maybe you should allow them to name your children too, how about John if it is a boy and Jane if it's a girl? Some friends and myself cleaned up and developed a bouldering area behind and around the trailer park at Robson. We had no problem with route names. Castlegar inspired many, funny, apt names. Hopefully just reading their suggestions will turn you off this hairbrained idea.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook