RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

metoliusmunchkin

Jul 19, 2002, 7:10 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

A New Forum!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Bring Back The Ask Dr. Piton Forum!!

I know this has been discussed many times in the past. Perhaps far too many times really. Each time such a thread was created there were no real frank and serious contemplation of actually reviving this forum. I suggest we do one of two things. We either:

Create a Poll on the front page to either bring the forum back, or to keep things the way they are [as we have done in the past, at a time when there really was no want for it, by most users - users who have recently had a change of heart toward Pete].

or

Discuss this issue in a mature manner within this forum [which I highly doubt a possibility judging from past experiences].

What do ya say, cats?

wildtrail

Jul 19, 2002, 7:46 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

A New Forum! [In reply to]
Report this Post

I'm not familure with the Ask Dr. Piton forum, but I can tell you this.

When you have a resource as reliable and informative as Pete, why waste it? Besides, outside of being an excellent and knowledgable climber, the guy cracks me up!

I'm all for it!

Pete? How 'bout you?

Steve

climbsomething

Jul 19, 2002, 8:05 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Honestly, I think it's all semantics. The aid forum is (forgive me if this is an overgeneralization) already Pete's territory. Which is not to say that I am against a PTPP forum, actually, I just think it's such a minor adjustment that you probly wouldn't notice a distinct presence (or lack thereof) of a specific Pete forum, other than keeping Pete's tips centralized...

I guess I'm really just saying I'm neutral The need for a PTPP forum is neither here nor there. With or without a special forum, Pete has long shown himself more than willing to share his knowledge and help his fellow climbers, so you can pretty well count on Pete's assistance no matter what the official status is

beyond_gravity

Jul 19, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Screw Dr. Piton forum,

WE NEED A SLACKLINING FORUM!

[ This Message was edited by: beyond_gravity on 2002-07-19 13:15 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Jul 19, 2002, 10:44 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

*sigh*

The Aid Forum is Dr. Piton's forum. Do you see a whole lot of other people posting there?

crackaddict

Jul 19, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Change the name to Dr Pitons Aid forum.

And I agree with Jeremy. We need a slacklining forum.

Partner jules

Jul 20, 2002, 2:03 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Now, if I may ask...

What, exactly, would be the POINT?

WHY?

I thought we organized forums around here by the topic, not by the author. It would make finding what you need a total PITA, especially sans search-feature.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Pete is just another person like the rest of us, not some sort of god or something, and is perfectly capable of posting in the existing forums.

Just my opinion on the matter.

fiend

Jul 20, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #8 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Why do people keep bringing this up? Pete had a forum, we had so many problems because of the 'spice' he brought to the site that we had to remove it twice. A poll was made. Users left the site. It's all over.

Hell, I offered to build pete his own site where he could share his info and host his own forum but he didn't seem that interested.

natec

Jul 20, 2002, 3:01 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I want to chime in on this.

It would be cool for Pete to Have his own forum in order to put all the posts in logical order. I understand he had one before, I wasn't really around for it so I can't comment. If he doesn't get one, life will go one, Pete will still post, and this will still be the definitive reference to aid climbing on the internet, something that I think the admins are missing the boat on.

I don't know why we NEED a slacklining forum though. I'm not knocking slack lining but how many forums am I going to have to wade through to get to the ones i what to read (about climbing)? Slacklining, while a passion that is specific to a lot of climbers, is not climbing. I understand that it offers some points that are valuable to climbing but so does gymnastics and a lot of other things. Just because a lot of climbers and members of the site do it does not mean we need a forum for it. This would also force the addition of a Mtn Biking forum, Trail running forum, Hiking forum, etc.

This is a climbing site, lets just leave it for what it is. That means we may have to exclude a Dr. Piton forum.

Partner tim

Jul 20, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Please either read the old threads, or FOAD.

Fiend and rrrAdam have been here longer than anyone. I like reading Dr. Piton's columns as much as anyone, hell I am trying to dragoon a few partners for walls this season, but it apparently did not work out and even Pete said so. Therefore, kindly let sleeping dogs lie. Seriously.

This is not a good use of the moderators' time or of limited volunteer resources.

Partner pianomahnn

Jul 20, 2002, 4:27 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Quote:
Fiend and rrrAdam have been here longer than anyone

I was actually here 3 months before fiend.

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jul 20, 2002, 5:40 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

There are lots of reasons why we should and shouldn't have a Dr. Piton forums:
Consolidate information
Potentially increase content
He past "transgressions" that are illuded to
His colorful style, for better or for worse
Logistics
And others good and bad

But the real reason is that Rockclimbing.com is not about one person and their contributions. Many people contribute quality information and more will contibute in the future. If we start basing posts around people rather than subject matter, then what happens when that person leaves or someone else comes around that's better? Do we have to change the name of the forum?

Now building on this concept, what could Pete do with a forum named Dr. Piton that he can't already do with Articles, Photos, and the Aid Climbing forum? Pete has discussed his current limitations, and none of them would be fixed by a forum named Dr. Piton. Searching is a problem in all the forums. A new forum would just make the problem worse instead of better. Linking posts and photos and creating a table of contents or index. This can be done with articles. A new forum doesn't solve this either.

The ONLY thing that I see at all that a forum called Dr. Piton does is enhance Pete's image. That is NOT the direction I want to take Rockclimbing.com at this point. Love Pete to death, but I'm interested in quality information, not a campaign platform.

Trevor

metoliusmunchkin

Jul 20, 2002, 10:34 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Now hear this! I have said this numerous times, and this will be the last. I hate repeating myself around here, so be sure to read this before you ask questions about what will be answered here:

Yes, I will admit, the Aid Climbing forum has already been dubbed Pete's
own. His mastery of words and wit are there now, aiding aid climbers form across the globe. It is rare to see today, however, a great number of questions (or the general creation of threads) that are not distinctly directed to Pete.

Also, in the past, there were many things in the Dr. Piton Forum that were not
suitable. I am definitely not saying that Pete should repeat those numerous and to many users (excluding myself) offensive diatribes. This new, improved Ask Dr. Piton Forum would exclude all irrelevant climbing posts, and would consist of Pete answering the questions (concerning climbing) of those who wish to ask them.

If you wish to read some of Pete's most definitive posts concerning the answering of aid-related questions such as: Pete's
"Book" on Chongo's 2:1 Hauling Ratchet it will perhaps allow you to better understand his great knowledge and importance he brings to the site.

As you would discover upon observing the Aid Climbing Forum, not all threads created are directed to Pete but a great deal of them are. It is my one proposition to the site's management to take these such threads and move them to a newly entitled Ask Dr. Piton Forum.

-->

Mark wrote:
Quote:Why do people keep bringing this up? Pete had a forum, we had so many problems because of the 'spice' he brought to the site that we had to remove it twice.

Mark, perhaps this is an indication to you that an actual want of an Ask Dr. Piton Forum is growing wider and spreading across the site. This topic will continuously and continually be repeated as long as a want for Pete's own forum exists.

As for the "spice" you speak of, my new proposition (or new format) of Pete's forum would not contain such "spice" as mentioned above. Only the good, clean, helpful, and not to mention humourous posts/topics of Pete will be re-situated in this new forum.

Nate wrote:
Quote:It would be cool for Pete to Have his own forum in order to put all the posts in logical order.

This is exactly what I am proposing to each of you. What good would this newly created forum be without the chronological order of each of it's predecessor's (the Bouldering Forum, etc.)? This one goes without saying.

Juliana wrote:
Quote:Now, if I may ask... What, exactly, would be the POINT? WHY?

Why did they create an Aid Climbing Forum? Why did they create a Bouldering Forum? Why did they create a Technique and Training Forum? Why did they create the entire Partners Search forums? To tell you the truth we could go on forever about that one.

Each of these instances relates to the want of such things. The users wanted more from the site other than simply the General Forum, and thus the creation of all it's predecessors. Why create a Dr. Piton Forum? There is just as great a want for it as there was for the creation of other now well-known forums.

Hillary
wrote:
Quote:Which is not to say that I am against a PTPP forum, actually, I just think it's such a minor adjustment that you probly wouldn't notice a distinct presence (or lack thereof) of a specific Pete forum, other than keeping Pete's tips centralized....

If this adjustment is in fact as minor as you say, why is it that the management of this site time and time again refuse its creation? Of course, you stand correct; there will be no real distinct presence (or lack thereof) in reference to Pete's information, and the centralization of his works is the main issue there. Good point!

Stephen wrote:
Quote:When you have a resource as reliable and informative as Pete, why waste it? Besides, outside of being an excellent and knowledgable climber, the guy cracks me up!

My point exactly. When you think of it raising awareness of the website, there is much to be fulfilled. If more people know of the site, perhaps a better chance of acquiring advertising for the site would come consequently. I don't know, that really is not my field, but from a logical stand point it holds some reason.

-->

I will personally get every single "Dr. Piton Forum worthy" thread from the Aid Climbing Forum, and list it here in this thread so you yourself can judge whether it too is worthy of it's own particular forum. However, I find that there are far too many of aid-related topics that Pete has so generously applied his time (yet another reason for the creation of the Ask Dr. Piton Forum).

Here are his Top Ten (in no particular order):

Dr
Piton, cleaning an aid pitch with two jugs is a pain. Is there a BETTER WAY?

Dr.
Piton, my pig's not fat enough!

Ascending

Big
wall theorist alert - Gri-Gri cleaning (here, Pete's work is published in Climbing Magazine!)

Catch
Onto Catch Lines!

Ask
Dr. Piton....about Chongo's 2:1 Hauling Ratchet

Ask
Dr. Pee'd On...How to pass a knot on rappel

Flagging the Ledge and the Docking Tether

Dr
Piton... please explain 4:1 lower out.

More
"BIG WALL THEORY" from Climbing Magazine - sheesh.

These little gems would be included to the forum also – just to
name a few
more.

metoliusmunchkin

Jul 20, 2002, 12:54 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Also, just a short note: I second the notion to add a Slacklining Forum, we could call it the Ask Dr. Ammon Forum!

Partner russman

Jul 20, 2002, 1:31 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I am locking this topic as per the request of the original poster, while he looks into the idea of writing an article with the Ask Dr Piton info. Good Luck Pat, let me know if you need help

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook