Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 4, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #1 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

The "fcuk it" attitude
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This state of mind which leads to an action is dubbed this on the account the person doing this will often says: "AHhhhh, Fuck it!"

Now, is it good or bad to have a "fuck it" attitude when faced with a challenge? Is it better to focus and take the problem with grace? Or, to ignore elements of the situation, bite your lip and get the job done.

On the surface this sounds like it's about "style" and doing a route in good or bad style. Really this comes down to pushing mental concerns aside and pushing your 'risk taking' abilities.

zozo

Aug 4, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #2 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Re: The "fcuk it" attitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

depends

lewisiarediviva

Aug 4, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #3 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's bad. Never felt good thinking back over the climb when I'm done- the fcuk it part overshowdows any glory.

rockinitinark

Aug 4, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #4 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, im my climbing opinion, you dont have to have a fcuck it attitude all the time in climbing, of course their are situations when you gotta listen to your self, either to fcuck it...or not to fcuck it. Just an example. Before it got officially summer time my buddy and i were doin some routes at hawcreek, bout 30 mins from the house, I was up on the best route their is out their, slopey holds 90 feet up, eeek anyway my feet were probly about 4 feet above the last bolt, and in this crux the situation is desperate and thin. Not shitting ya'll, i was scared/focused/i dont know how else to explain that other emotion. So i said fuck it and made the move, i didnt send the route, but i did say fuck it really loud. thats my little story. :D

caughtinside

Aug 4, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #5 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

"Oh yes, fuck it! That's your attitude towards everything, isn't it? Well, I have news for you Mr. Lebowski, the war is over, the BUMS LOST!" :P

jumaringjeff

Aug 4, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #6 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zozo, where did that clip of the woman falling come from?

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 4, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #7 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Oh yes, f--- it! That's your attitude towards everything, isn't it? Well, I have news for you Mr. Lebowski, the war is over, the BUMS LOST!" :P

i wish i could have voted for this! :D

elvislegs

Aug 4, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #8 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This state of mind which leads to an action is dubbed this on the account the person doing this will often says: "AHhhhh, f--- it!"

uhhhh pardon me?

flipnfall

Aug 4, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #9 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF you're going to kill yourself doing something stupid, then that's a GREAT time to have that attitude!

GT

Partner angry

Aug 4, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #10 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey man, im my climbing opinion, you dont have to have a fcuck it attitude all the time in climbing, of course their are situations when you gotta listen to your self, either to fcuck it...or not to fcuck it. Just an example. Before it got officially summer time my buddy and i were doin some routes at hawcreek, bout 30 mins from the house, I was up on the best route their is out their, slopey holds 90 feet up, eeek anyway my feet were probly about 4 feet above the last bolt, and in this crux the situation is desperate and thin. Not s--- ya'll, i was scared/focused/i dont know how else to explain that other emotion. So i said f--- it and made the move, i didnt send the route, but i did say f--- it really loud. thats my little story. :D

Easier said in two words, it depends.

Tatoo, I'm disappointed, I thought you could ask a question less stupid than this.

mother_sheep

Aug 4, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #11 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I reach the fcuk it threashold, it means I'm having trouble gettig up something so I just say fcuk it and go for it. Works for me!

arnoilgner

Aug 4, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #12 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello tattoo_climber

I think it is important to find out what the intention is underneath saying "fcuk it." Intention is what drives our actions. But, one thing to think about is this: When you say "fcuk it" it sounds to me like you are wanting to get it (the climb) over with. When you do that your attention will be distracted. Saying "fcuk it" may work for some people but focusing attention onto what you need to do to climb work better.
Does this help? arno

zozo

Aug 5, 2005, 2:51 PM
Post #13 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was this thread merged? If so that's to bad.

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 5, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #14 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello tattoo_climber

I think it is important to find out what the intention is underneath saying "fcuk it." Intention is what drives our actions. But, one thing to think about is this: When you say "fcuk it" it sounds to me like you are wanting to get it (the climb) over with. When you do that your attention will be distracted. Saying "fcuk it" may work for some people but focusing attention onto what you need to do to climb work better.
Does this help? arno

i rarely do it....but i always found that in order to "fuck it" i'd have to completely ignore something (a cam below me walking out and saying 'fuckit' and running out the rest of the route)<
this thread what just ment to be a discussion, i don't think i have a habbit of this behavior but its a good tool to have under the bent i think, 'quick and dirty' getting the job done

fshizzle - in retrospect, that first paragraph didn't turn out (or sound) the way i wanted it>a discription of "Fuck it"

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Aug 5, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #15 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fcuk might have an attitude problem, but I've been told they carry some nice clothes.

petsfed

Aug 5, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #16 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i rarely do it....but i always found that in order to "fuck it" i'd have to completely ignore something (a cam below me walking out and saying 'f---' and running out the rest of the route)<
Ditto, for me. I don't say fuck it unless I'm fighting the sketch factor, get sick of it, and just go for it. Once I've let go of the fear, I climb a lot better. eg. unprotectable cruxes, apparently low percentage mantles, things that I know are within my ability but I can't seem to sack up for, that sort of thing.

arnoilgner

Aug 6, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #17 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi petsfed

Yes, I agree with you. Sometimes saying "fcuk it" helps us push beyond irrational fears. I would just caution saying that when you are runout. There may be a small part of that irrational fear that is rational. And, when you "fcuk it" and commit, that small rational part may be the truth and cast you off, taking a fall and injuring yourself.
Do it on well protected routes and see what happens.
arno

petsfed

Aug 6, 2005, 2:21 AM
Post #18 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi petsfed

Yes, I agree with you. Sometimes saying "fcuk it" helps us push beyond irrational fears. I would just caution saying that when you are runout. There may be a small part of that irrational fear that is rational. And, when you "fcuk it" and commit, that small rational part may be the truth and cast you off, taking a fall and injuring yourself.
Do it on well protected routes and see what happens.
arno

Good point. I should say I've never fallen after saying "fuck it", rather only when I blindly went for it without stopping to consider it. I like to think I have a good handle of my abilities, but I know that sometimes that little voice keeps me out of trouble, when I listen to it.

johnhenry

Aug 7, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #19 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally understand your discussion amigo. The "F#ck it" part has always been there whenever I have tried to push it, even a little bit.

If i dont say it out loud, I am certainly thinking it. Its not reckless- per say- for me it is just the decisive moment before I start climbing.

In some ways, that is why I perfer longer routes to a day of hard cragging.

I can get by moving through the "F#uck it" stage much less....

Cheers,

john

shnobe

Aug 7, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #20 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Oh yes, fuck it! That's your attitude towards everything, isn't it? Well, I have news for you Mr. Lebowski, the war is over, the BUMS LOST!"

NICE!!!

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 8, 2005, 4:07 AM
Post #21 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I totally understand your discussion amigo. The "F#ck it" part has always been there whenever I have tried to push it, even a little bit.

If i dont say it out loud, I am certainly thinking it. Its not reckless- per say- for me it is just the decisive moment before I start climbing.

In some ways, that is why I perfer longer routes to a day of hard cragging.

I can get by moving through the "F#uck it" stage much less....

Cheers,

john

HEY HEY HEY! Wait a second here....when i met you, i do believe you used the "FUCK IT" technique to justify driving pitons in a un-climbed boulder :D

oldrnotboldr

Nov 29, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #22 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used that approach a few times. Sometimes it works, somethimes it does not work. In almost all cases, at least for me, it has led me to neglect checking safety factors, fall factors, etc. For me, akin to giving up.

So my thoughts would be centered on the whole scene and being relatively sure of not being a richochet rabbit and decking.

pink_chalk

Dec 10, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #23 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with "it depends". i dont consider myself to be reckless, i always try to know my limits before leaving the ground. in some cases where im a little ways past my bolt or scared about a potential fall, the f-bomb attitude almost always gets the job done :) but the attitude can be dangerous in some cases where your'e run-out, getting off route, etc. i think an extreme version of this attitude are those reckless warriors soloing routes, of any grade. you could even say this of X and R rated climbs. just my humble opinion. interesting topic though...

skinner

Dec 10, 2005, 7:28 PM
Post #24 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've said:
"ah.. fcuk it" let's go drink beer it's too ugly out here.
"ah.. fcuk it" I'm getting to old for this shit, send up the bolt kit.
"ah.. fcuk it" I'll lead it then!
and just yesterday I said
"ah.. fcuk it" I'm not sleeping in this sh*t when my warm bed's only a 3 hour drive away.
Dunno if I qualify as having the attitude or not? *shrug*

pink_chalk

Dec 10, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #25 of 31 (28095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes you do have a F-it attitude, but it sounds like a good thing. Wanna hook-up??? :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook