RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Partner signmanzdk

Aug 6, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Virgina Climbers......Question????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm taking a trip to Clifton Forge VA to climb Iron Gate. Can anyone who has been there give me some tips.....ie: camping, parking, safety, routes, etc. I would really appreciate it.

I changed my mind. I'm going to Goshen instead. The friend that I'm going with is new and I'm thinking this would be best.

vawwyakr

Aug 9, 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Re: Virgina Climbers......Question???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hhmmmmm Goshen huh? So far I'm not a fan of Goshen pass. It was a miserable hike trying to find castle rock and either we didn't find it or it's slabby choss. Chamber's Ridge is the only thing that I've found there to be of good quality and it's really just one route (Stinky Pinky 5.9+ which is probably one of the best routes I've been on yet even if it's only 5.9+) that makes it worth while. There's other rock out there but it's all very hard to get to or you can boulder near the picnic area if that's your thing.

I say this as someone who loves the pass for it's beauty and for kayaking. Iron Gate I think is far better and there are some easy routes there (even one bolted 5.6). The problem with that area is poison ivy it's all over, but we've managed to come out without an itch (well except for the bug bites)....or maybe I'm just not allergic to the stuff.

There's some free camping pretty close to the Pass though. I don't know much about Iron Gate's camping though as it's only about an hour from me so I haven't had the need.

braaaaaaaadley

Aug 27, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been to goshen (I have only driven past)... on the other hand I have been to iron gate and I would not reccomend it at all. Iron gate is a nightmare of a climbing area. The hike in, in my opinion is ten times more dangerous than the climbing, which I may add is not all that great. If you are looking for a beginner area, you might look at Ravens Roost. Depending on which direction you are coming from this would be a lot better for a newb climber. Goodluck on your trip... if it already has not happened.

tomlr2687

Sep 9, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clifton forge has got some fun sport routs. My only complaint is its too short... only about 25-30ft and its kinda hard to find/get to. Other than that its pretty sweet.

vawwyakr

Sep 9, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Clifton forge has got some fun sport routs. My only complaint is its too short... only about 25-30ft and its kinda hard to find/get to. Other than that its pretty sweet.
Really? Wierd which side of the wall did you get on (left or right)? The only time I've gone we went ot the right side wall and the routes were mostly in the 50-70 foot range.

nowinowski

Sep 9, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those places stink. :(

go to old rag, ravens roost, love gap, or hidden cliffs.

braaaaaaaadley

Sep 10, 2005, 8:17 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
those places stink. :(

go to old rag, ravens roost, love gap, or hidden cliffs.

Nicely put LOL

joshportell

Sep 10, 2005, 8:55 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about stuff over 5.10?

stonefree

Sep 10, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hidden Rocks in Harrisonburg and Raven's Roost in Waynesboro are alright, although Raven's is definitely a bit sketchy with the loose rock and the people above for any kind of top roping (Kermit's Revenge, the Big Dihedral on the first wall, is a good trad line). Old Rag would be the most ideal for local climbing and the walk in from the back fire entrance makes it a lot shorter then the other hiking ways. Otherwise just suck it up and go to Franklin, Seneca or the New.

tomlr2687

Sep 11, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you cross the river the climbs are 50-70ft but that's private property. If you stay on the road side of the river everything is shorter and kinda hard to get to.

gremlin

Sep 12, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a resident of Covington, VA before I left to go to school, I can say without a doubt that Iron Gate pretty much sucks. It's like 15 minutes from Covington, and I rarely ever went out there to climb because of how loose a lot of it is. If you are stuck in the area, it may be ok, but it's definitely not worth traveling any distance to climb there.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook