RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

stoneddude

Aug 8, 2005, 2:51 AM
Post #1 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

how to balance?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey Ive tried slack lining a couple of times and Ive gotten help but i still cant figure out how to balance, its really hard for me to get on it and balance , but i figured out how to walk, is there anything i can do to help my balance without having to fall off of a slack line and get hurt? :?:

Partner coldclimb

Aug 8, 2005, 4:25 AM
Post #2 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Re: how to balance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Practice practice practice. You can try holding a hand or using aids like that, but I would recommend just setting a relatively low line and working it until you can stand and walk. It won't take too long to learn how to fall well. ;)

tenn_dawg

Aug 8, 2005, 4:40 AM
Post #3 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rig up a 10' line about 2 feet off the ground, and like CC said, just practice. No one does it their first try (or 50th for that matter). You've just got to log an hour or so of "line time."

foxtrotuniform

Aug 8, 2005, 4:42 AM
Post #4 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rig up a 10' line about 2 feet off the ground, and it'll be eaiser to get on and off of multiple times. And like CC said, just practice, no one does it their first try (or 50th for that matter).

lewisiarediviva

Aug 8, 2005, 5:39 AM
Post #5 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have a slackline in our back yard that we put up about a month ago. I've been asking my eight year old the same question. But she says things like: "I don't know." "Well, right before I fall, I stop." and "If I'm leaning this way, I pick up my leg and lift it up the other way."

Sounds like obvious advice to me, but I still can't get it right. Maybe it will help someone. . .

cal_gundert05

Aug 8, 2005, 5:48 AM
Post #6 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The physics answer is to keep your center of gravity as close to the support point (your feet) as possible. Tightrope walkers do this by holding those long poles: the added weight in your waist region brings their center of gravity down from the chest area, where most of your weight is. Maybe you could practice with a moderate amount of weight on each hand using free weights, a pole, or whatever else you find. Over time, you can lessen the weight until you no longer need it.

I've never tried this, and I've never slacklined. But the principle is correct. This is just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

frankclimbs

Aug 8, 2005, 5:53 AM
Post #7 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My little brother and I started by using a piece of PVC pipe to balance us at first on the line. It was easy enough to hold and give a little support if needed. It was also helpful to get up without anyone elses help. The only way though is to practice and to just let go. I have fallen my fair share in trying to get good. But practice makes perfect. We made a game of it like horse. One would try lifting one leg, then the other would try. We seen a quick improvement in ourselfs when we started that. Hope that helps a little.

Frankclimbshttp://home.utah.edu/...mages/Slackline1.jpg

veganboyjosh

Aug 8, 2005, 6:11 AM
Post #8 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

instead of putting your hands out to your sides, try putting them above your head, swaying back and forth to balance.

also, try to think of your hips as being isolated from your feet. sort of like how a belly dancer moves.

gymslackerclimber

Aug 8, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #9 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe you could practice with a moderate amount of weight on each hand using free weights, a pole, or whatever else you find.

well i dont think i can recommend this method at all,, but i can say that at first,, well in the beginning i spent more time rolling and crashing into the ground then i did walking,, but hey, what can you do :tinfoilhat: ....haha

i think when learning something, the harder you push your limits and the bigger risks/falls you take, the quicker you learn and the better you become.. ( learning how to down hill ski comes to mind when i think about that comment)

start off in the middle,, put your dominant foot one the line, the other on the ground,, continue to jump up with your grounded foot (dont push down with your 'lined' foot) but jump up with the other foot and become comforatable with streching the line down,, just keep on jumping up with that grounded foot, as your weight begins to totally weight the line and as the line streches downwards put your once grounded foot behind the 'lined' foot and put it perpindicular to the line.. get used to that felling,, riding it downwards,, controlling the first dynamic movement of the line..

this is what i did,, but you will figure it out the best way on your own..

once you can stand with two legs,, you will quickly learn the feelings of standing on your left and right foot..

GOOD LUCK,,,, take breaks,,,, and when your not slackin,,,invision yourself slackin.....

be one with the line young grasshopper...

hahaha

niles

Aug 8, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #10 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got to learn, also, to not think about what you're doing. There's too much stuff going on for your head to keep track of (at least for my little brain). Learn to feel your balance. Don't try to be still on the line, just try to be balanced. You have to be okay with the movement of the line. The line will sway and swing and bounce, so the tendency is to try and stop all that from happening - thinking you have to be still to be balanced - but the trick is to be balanced while in motion. Bend your knees, tighten your core, relax your mind, and find your center.

Cheers, Niles

cosmic_crawler

Aug 16, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #11 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey what worked for me was not looking at the line and also practicing standing on one foot . it may sound crazy but if you can stand on one foot you can walk it !

celemandraos

Aug 16, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #12 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually just took the pole off of a two broomsticks, it was super easy to stay on the line and try a lot of times without falling. Ya, this method might be a little bit slower because your arent worried about falling, but it saves a lot of time and wrists knees whatever else get hurt while falling :P Oh, and its only a matter a time in my experience, before you get a crotch wap. HAVE FUN

lewisiarediviva

Aug 16, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #13 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you wear shoes, or not?

We, at this house, were all slacklining with out, then my daughter pointed out to me that the picture that came with my Chaco's showed a person wearing Chaco's while slacklining.

I'm sure you can do it either way, but which is easier for beginners?

gymslackerclimber

Aug 16, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #14 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

barefoot is the way to go!

greenketch

Aug 16, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #15 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Barefoot for sure. You will see pics of wearing shoes, that is roughly equivilent to doing a trick. Hey a while back I was at a park and this gal jumped on and walked in high heels :shock: . It can be done but it is not a good way to start.

Partner coldclimb

Aug 16, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #16 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Barefoot for sure. You will see pics of wearing shoes, that is roughly equivilent to doing a trick. Hey a while back I was at a park and this gal jumped on and walked in high heels :shock: . It can be done but it is not a good way to start.

I've done flips in cowboy boots. Sadly, it was dark at the time, and my friend couldn't handle the camera. :cry: :lol: True though, barefoot is probably an easier way to start, although shoes will work just fine, and will even teach you to walk sideways sooner, which is a good thing to know.

cracknut

Aug 17, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #17 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put down your bong. It raises your center of gravity.

headinawhole

Aug 17, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #18 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,

I just started slacklining last month and, like all have said, practice and concentration are the keys. I find the line will forgive no slip in my attention.

To learn to walk and balance I found a handline tied overhead above the slackline was great for learning to hop on the line and for getting set to walk.

2 cents

hand_sandwich

Aug 18, 2005, 2:25 AM
Post #19 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been slacklining for a few months or so, and here's what I've learned so far:

. The tighter the line, the easier the walk
. Keep your head up, focus on opposite anchor or imaginary point straight ahead
. Land your feet toes (ideally between big toe and it's neighbor) then heel
. Keep your back straight (don't hunch over)
. Take long steps (putting the next leg way out helps keep the back straight)
. Be dynamic ... sway your arms and upper torso to find balance, not necessarily stillness, in "engineering" terms you use your upper body to create a rotational momentum to cancel the "lean" created by your center of gravity not being straight above the line
. Cancel all thoughts. The only moment is now (part of the beauty of it)
. Have fun and keep practicing. It'll come in time.

veganboyjosh

Aug 18, 2005, 2:51 AM
Post #20 of 20 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we set up a line in the park this weekend, and someone came up and walked it, and mentioned to his friend that he should look at the "node", which is where the line is knotted at the tree. i guess it's the part of a wave which doesn't move? someone who knows more than me about harmonics and waves feel free to correct that if it's wrong...

anyway, it sort of makes sense. that's what i always did, was look at the knot. it makes sense that looking at that would help your foot find the line. if your right foot is out in space somewhere, and the knot(node) is stationary, then your left foot should be able to tell pretty closely where the line should be based on those two things.

also, i've found that putting my hands above my head (sort of stick up style) helps me be able to react to the moving line.

think of your feet, your hips, your torso, and your hands as seperate entities. especially your hips from the rest of your body.

one of the most important skills i think slackers should master early is dismounting/falling off. this is where it's most likely for you to get hurt, so learn how to do it well. sounds funny, i know, but i think years of falling off my skateboard and bike have helped me be a better faller. in that i can fall pretty badly and not get hurt as bad as some might. watch the snapping line, when you're coming off, even if you're not straddling the line(which is obviously to be avoided), it can still pop you good if your hands/feet/head is in the wrong place.

once you're up on the line, try to stay fluid. what someone said about being in the moment helps too. as soon as i look off to the side, or start thinking about something i need to deal with (work, dog, dinner, etc) i end up losing it and more often than not coming off the line.

and practice can;'t be stressed enough. even if it's for 5 minutes at a time. if you havea place in your yard to set one up, set it up and leave it up. while you're watching tv, and a commercial comes on, go walk for 5 minutes. do it in the morning before work/school for a bit, and once you get home.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook