RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

yoyo

Aug 9, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Coiling 8mm spaghetti
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What's your best way of coiling skinny twins or doubles so that it isn't a horendous cluster$&#( when you need to flake it out for the climb :?:

Any other special tips for managing skinnies?

Partner hosh

Aug 9, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Re: Coiling 8m spaghetti [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, get a thicker rope!

:lol:

just kidding...

I have no idea.

hosh.

mrtristan

Aug 9, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd get a rope bag, tarp, or bucket. Well worth it.

But that's probably not what you're looking for. I've used the butterfly coil with success. I hate the mountaineer's coil. What have you been using?

-Tristan

Partner euroford

Aug 9, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use a butterfly coil and have never had any unusual problems with ropes tangling. you can improve the tangleproofness of a butterfly coil by starting out with very long coils and then making each subsequent coil a couple of inches shorter. tangles generally are caused by the loops threading through each other, this will greatly lessen the chance of that.

though of course, your just going to toss it in your pack and all bets are off :?

if your ropes are tangling excessively chances are they are twisted. rap down them each a couple of times to get the twists out. though some ropes are just tangle prone, for whatever reason my maxxim 9.8x70m is a serious tanglewhore and nothing i have tried will get the twists out.

though this rope still doesn't tend to tangle after being coiled, it just gets all clusterfugged during raps. which really pisses me off, i have very little tolerance of that kind of behavior! :evil:

yoyo

Aug 9, 2005, 9:19 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes. i dislike the mtnrs coil too.

i only coil w/ a butterfly. i'll try the decreasing loops to get a feel for that. however, longish or unruly loops & crampons could be dangerous when coming off ice, i.e. if wearing it tied around my back.

re: decreasing coils - as far as slinging it under the lid of my pack, should i anticipate some slop?

the downtime caused by managing the tangles is frustrating!

wonder if i should resort to a pack coil.

dingus

Aug 9, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been using 8mm doubles for years now. I am mystified as to the tangles to which you refer. My 8's don't tangle any more than any other rope I have, which is to say, very little.

As others stated, if the rope(s) is kinking all by itself, check your rapping and wrapping techniques, you may be introducing those kinks yourself.

In terms of rope mgmt of doubles in general, I treat em as one on a multipitch climb. I do not separate the two ropes at each belay. Coiled over the lap or tie in, laying in a pile on a ledge at my feet, whatever, the 2 ropes are just treated as one.

I can't imagine why anyone would use a mountaineers coil.

DMT

boss

Aug 9, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just use one of BD's superslacker rope bags for both ropes. Put the tarp portion between the two ropes, and flake each rope into the bag as you would any normal rope. Never had any major problems with tangles. As for on the climb, treat the ropes as one, or separate them out into two separate piles while belaying your second up.

Boss

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook