RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

flowerpowerlover

Aug 15, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Tic Marks in Camp 4
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was in the Camp 4 this weekend and never in my life have i seen so many tic marks left on problems... I dont care who it was but if you did this... PLEASE NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!! it makes everything look so ugly and artificial.

Problems that had big,nasty tics on them, that i remember...

titanic
blockhead
pitter-patter traverse
Pratt face
tendons give
duck-hit traverse

and a couple of others that i passed by...

please brush them off next time, lets try to minimize some of our impact shall we?

bler

Aug 16, 2005, 1:46 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tic Marks in Camp 4 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sure thing tick mark police ;)

"I was in camp 4 last week, and never before in my life have i seen so many people crowded together, or so much brush and plant life crushed by crashpads"

dude, face it, anywhere people climb, there will be ticks, garbage, chalk and everything else that comes with climbing or bouldering.. ESPICALLY in camp4

why don't you do something besides bitch about it !! go brush them yourself ! go wash the holds ! actually DO something about it, i can gaurentee that 80% of the people that boulder in yos don't even visit RC.com

flowerpowerlover

Aug 16, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eh, b4 you get on your soap box and yell at me, chill out!!!

i carried around a brush and did brush them off, and if more people thought the way that you did, bouldering areas would probably start to get shutdown because everyone would accept that littering would happen anyway, that tic marks left would happen anyway, that vegetation destruction would happen anyway...one person at a time makes the difference. lets lead by example and call people out when they "hiccup." just because camp4 is camp4 doesnt mean that it gives a "littering is a casualty of war" card. yosemite should be near the cleanest of bouldering destinations, it has recycling centers, trash cans and bathrooms...

*leave no trace...*

rastafari

Aug 16, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I carry around brushes and some water in a spray bottle. I like it when paople leave things the way they were ment to be.

bler

Aug 16, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, I wasn't yelling at atll..

my belief : actions speak louder then words.. go out to the crag, clean up, give people crap that leave garbage...

unfortunatley the rc.com base does not come close to encompassing the whole of the climbing community... so I was just stating that i felt it was a futile attempt to get people to clean up, sorry if i hurt your feelings

it is standard etiquite anywhere to brush, clean trash and minimize impact

cgranite

Aug 16, 2005, 6:58 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's good that someone has spoken up against tic marks, especially in such an esthetic place. It's not hard to brush the tic marks before you leave the problem.
These are the types of things that create access issues, so please brush before you leave.

flowerpowerlover

Aug 16, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^thanks seth, we gotta unite, walk softly and carry a big BRUSH...:)

salamanizer

Aug 17, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People have been leaving tick marks on rock for a lot longer than most of you have been alive. Its a big part of bouldering. It was never even an issue until recently with rock climbings popularity explosion. It still really isnt an issue to most climbers (and people) accept for all the self richous neo-hippies who have pushed their way into the sport dawning their fanatic enviromentalist attitudes and pushing their opinions of how things should be on everyone.

Don't push your ethics opinion on me. I leave tick marks, I clean tick marks, and I will continue to do so. If you want to make a difference, buy a bucket and a brush and walk around cleaning them off. Then leave it at the kiosk with a note explaining what its for. Don't walk around all pissed off protesting and forceing your opinion on people (old and new) who have just as much right to place a dab of chalk on a rock as you.

Smashing "fragile" vegitation and leaving litter is another subject in which violators should be strung up. Leaving a non perminate swath of chalk is not.

organic

Aug 17, 2005, 5:35 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I carry around brushes and some water in a spray bottle. I like it when paople leave things the way they were ment to be.

Why so then when someone comes to boulder the problem 5 minutes later they have to use twice as much chalk to take away the wetness? People use chalk it is part of climbing get over it...
Some people litter on purpose or trash falls out of their bag, most people try to leave no trace, but if after every climb I did I cleaned my chalk off I would spend more time cleaning than climbing and in that case it wouldn't be called climbing.

Most climbing areas are open under the pretense that there will be some impact, they are not going to close yosemite to climbing because of chalk and neither will they 99% of crags.

flowerpowerlover

Aug 17, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im not entirely sure how this thread is such a big deal...we are arguing over tic marks...

i use tic marks sometimes, but i make sure to clean them off. why cant everyone do this? i admit that i am a neo-hippie but this isnt about pushing an agenda or telling you who to vote for, this is about respecting other climbers, tourons, and especially the rock...

rastafari

Aug 18, 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

@ organic:
I use a minimal amount of water. It doesn't stay wet, if you brush it well. Try it sometimes...

bler

Aug 18, 2005, 6:55 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just a heads up : 2nd Annual Yosemite Climbing Association Clean-Up

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1166708#1166708

Partner drector

Aug 18, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
People have been leaving tick marks on rock for a lot longer than most of you have been alive. Its a big part of bouldering. It was never even an issue until recently with rock climbings popularity explosion. It still really isnt an issue to most climbers (and people) accept for all the self richous neo-hippies who have pushed their way into the sport dawning their fanatic enviromentalist attitudes and pushing their opinions of how things should be on everyone.

Don't push your ethics opinion on me. I leave tick marks, I clean tick marks, and I will continue to do so. If you want to make a difference, buy a bucket and a brush and walk around cleaning them off. Then leave it at the kiosk with a note explaining what its for. Don't walk around all pissed off protesting and forceing your opinion on people (old and new) who have just as much right to place a dab of chalk on a rock as you.

Smashing "fragile" vegitation and leaving litter is another subject in which violators should be strung up. Leaving a non perminate swath of chalk is not.

Spray paint is not litter and does not hurt vegitation. So it's okay then?

And cave men painted rocks long before us but we still think painting the rock now is a bad thing. So arguments about who did what when are meaningless.

And it's prety standard to push ones opinions onto others. You are doing the same by making your post and telling the OP to FO.

So nothing you have said holds any weight. Try a better argument the next time.

Dave

salamanizer

Aug 18, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Spray paint is not litter and does not hurt vegitation. So it's okay then?

Spray paint is litter, permanent, and will kill vegitation if sprayed on it. So no, it's not ok.

In reply to:
And cave men painted rocks long before us but we still think painting the rock now is a bad thing. So arguments about who did what when are meaningless.

Were not talking about something that happened 10,000 years ago. Were talking about recent practices done by people who are still alive. People that have been putting tick marks on rock longer than you've been alive. People (most of all) who don't need some know it all noob comeing along and telling them what they can and cant do. So, NO...arguments about who did what when are NOT meaningless!

In reply to:
And it's prety standard to push ones opinions onto others. You are doing the same by making your post and telling the OP to FO.

It is easy to push one's opinions onto others. However telling someone to FO in more than so few words is definately not pushing one's opinion. Its stateing ones opinion, so FUCK OFF!

In reply to:
So nothing you have said holds any weight. Try a better argument the next time.

What I have said is a valid and relevent argument based in reality, not some ill thought out, exagerated, baseless, dumb ass responce like you have posted here. So until you get some basis to work off of and some idea of what the hell you're talking about. I'm afraid i'm going to have to ask you to STFU Dave.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook