Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
What counts as having "Climbed" a certain route?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

neeshman

Jul 24, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1279 views)
Shortcut

What counts as having "Climbed" a certain route?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Ok, heres the deal. My friend and I were out one morning climbing and without knowing that the climb was rated a 512a he lead the thing like a demon! Anyways he gets it top-roped and I take a shot at it. I took me about 35 minutes to climb it and I struggles the whole way (bad) but my partner never helped me up at all by pul;ing down. So the next day I tell one of my other friends/partners and he says that only Andrew (my name is kyle, hi) can say that he actually climbed it because he lead it? I totally disagree, who is right?

jds100

Jul 24, 2002, 4:00 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1279 views)
Shortcut

What counts as having "Climbed" a certain route? [In reply to]
Report this Post

It's a question of defining your terms. Other forum threads have discussed and debated the "meaning" of redpoint, pink-point, etc., and certainly climbing a route can easily fall into that same discussion. Some people in some places wouldn't claim that the route had been "climbed" if it was TRd on a route that is meant to be lead-climbed. I'm one of those people, and I'd suggest that you can take pride in having worked the route on TR. (By the way, you didn't say whether or not you rested on the rope, took falls on TR, etc.) Problems arise when climbers want accurate information on what particular accomplishment was actually achieved, so a shared definition of terms (vernacular) is developed ad hoc. It varies a bit, from place to place, and person to person, but there's probably more in common than not.

And, I'll say it preemptively: it's not an ego thing; it's about attempting to communicate accurately, objectively, honestly, and fairly with each other. None of these goals for communication is intended to take away from your enjoyment.

Partner tim

Jul 24, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

As far as I'm concerned, and this is generally amenable to the people I climb with, if you got up the damn thing, you climbed it.

Whether you led, flashed, onsighted, or redpointed the thing is another matter entirely. Since I like to do trad and alpine climbs, it's a given that most of my climbs will have to be onsights.

Your friend is being nitpicky, I think. If you ascended a route on your own power from bottom to top, you climbed it. The rest is semantics and/or precision.

jmlangford

Jul 24, 2002, 4:40 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You climbed it! As far as I am concerned, if I get close enough to the route to SEE it-I climbed it!

metoliusmunchkin

Jul 26, 2002, 8:26 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

An Ascent Is An Ascent.

Check my post out here. That should give you a basic idea of what it is for a route to actually have been "climbed."

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook