Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Transportation from LaGuardia to Gunks area. Help!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fitzontherocks

Aug 23, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Transportation from LaGuardia to Gunks area. Help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We're flying into LaGuardia for a Gunks trip in early October. We were going to rent a car from LGA and drive to New Paltz, but the prices are out the a**. So I checked into renting from the Newburgh airport... about half as much. So now, how can we get from LaGuardia to Newburgh? Train? Bus? Thanks a bunch!

Partner taino

Aug 23, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to Gunks area. Help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple things...

1) the title of this post is "from LaGuardia to Gunks area". The Gunks are actually a fair bit from Newburgh Airport - about 45 minutes at highway speed.

2) How are the prices flying into Newburgh, instead? That would neatly solve your problem.

You ~can~ get to Newburgh Airport from LGA... you'd need to get into Manhattan, somehow (taxi, or bus/train combo), then take the Metro North railway up to Newburgh - then, take a shuttle bus or taxi to the airport (no idea how $$). From there you could rent your car and be on your way.

Getting back, you could either do all that in reverse - or, see if you can drop the car off back at LGA instead.

T

nodecaf

Aug 23, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a native Hudson Valley-ite, I have to correct you guys: Newburg and Westchester are DIFFERENT airports, and in fact are on opposte sides of the Hudson River. Best would be to fly into Newburg. New Paltz is 1 exit up the Thruway from the Newburg airport (15 miles?) and on the SAME side of the Hudson.

Or if you fly into NYC you can take the Metro North rail line to Poughkeepsie, but then you have to drive across the Mid-Hudson bridge and then to New Paltz -- 10 miles maybe?

A few options for ya, but I suggest you avoid Westchester airport.

Partner taino

Aug 23, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AHA!

I knew it didn't sound right, but I wasn't sure and couldn't dig up corroborating evidence in the few minutes allotted. Thanks for the correction.

T

cliffmama

Aug 23, 2005, 6:41 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could also look into a shuttle or cab from LaGuardia into NYC. I believe you can take a Trailways bus from Port Authority in midtown Manhattan to New Paltz, which drops you off at the station right next to the New Paltz Hostel. You'd still need a ride to get you from New Paltz to the crag though.

Jannette

flailingsquirrel

Aug 23, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a friend do this fairly successfully:

1. get a bus to grand central from the airport
2. take the commuter rail to poughkeepsie (just accross the river from new paltz)
3. take the shuttle bus from poughkeepsie to new platz.
4. go to the rock shop and hitch a ride

fitzontherocks

Aug 23, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. We were still planning to rent a car... just out of Newburgh or somewhere else rather than NYC. Doing that saves about 50% on the rental ($40-50/day vs $90-100). Jeez Louise! These city slickers are trying to fleece me. I checked out the Adirondack Trailways bus. That looks like a decent possibility. It's about $38 RT, leaving from the Port Authority. Add on $17 RT for an Airport Express bus to the Port Authority. Why can't there be a direct bus or train leaving the airport, like in European cities? I was hoping we could climb some the Saturday afternoon that we arrive, but the connections may put us into New Paltz late afternoon-early evening. (We arrive NYC about 1pm) If anybody else has ideas, sing out. And thanks again. Looking forward to the trip.

ben87

Aug 23, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"4. go to the rock shop and hitch a ride"

If you want to get as far as New Paltz by public transportation and then hitch a ride to the rocks, I would recommend taking a bus from Port Authority, rather than the train to poughkeepsie then some kind of shuttle. Quicker easier.

Partner taino

Aug 23, 2005, 7:44 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks. We were still planning to rent a car... just out of Newburgh or somewhere else rather than NYC. Doing that saves about 50% on the rental ($40-50/day vs $90-100). Jeez Louise! These city slickers are trying to fleece me. I checked out the Adirondack Trailways bus. That looks like a decent possibility. It's about $38 RT, leaving from the Port Authority. Add on $17 RT for an Airport Express bus to the Port Authority. Why can't there be a direct bus or train leaving the airport, like in European cities? I was hoping we could climb some the Saturday afternoon that we arrive, but the connections may put us into New Paltz late afternoon-early evening. (We arrive NYC about 1pm) If anybody else has ideas, sing out. And thanks again. Looking forward to the trip.

So, flying into Newburgh Airport is a no-go? Pity.

T

fitzontherocks

Aug 23, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually bought my ticket last night. We did look at Newburgh (SWF, in case you're interested) but it was harder for my buddy to get to (we're flying out of different airports).

fitzontherocks

Aug 25, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all. We'll be doing what several suggested: bus into Grand Central, Metro North to Poughkeepsie. Economy car rental there will run about $37 + tax and fees as opposed to $103 + tax and fees in the Big Apple. And nodecaf... where did you get Westchester? As far as I can see, you're the only one to mention it. Poughkeepsie to New Paltz... how far is that? I've heard 10 miles and 30 miles.

nodecaf

Aug 26, 2005, 2:55 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Huh. Swear to god, the reply to your original post said that Newburgh and Westchester were the same airport; now it's gone. Early onset alzheimers or evil post-editing? You decide...

Po-town to New Paltz: 10-12 miles, 2 turns. Cross the Mid-Hudson bridge and then exit onto route 9W north. Then after a couple miles turn left on route 299. Another 5 mi takes you straight into New Paltz. It's another 5-ish miles from town to the crags. Have fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook