RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

bobruef

Aug 26, 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1660 views)
Shortcut

grigri toprope solo question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've recently been toprope soloing some routes at the local crag w/ an unmodified grigri on a fixed line, w/alpine butterflies to clip into on another fixed line for backup. I have spent some time considering the pros and cons of the system, and have found that for most situations, it works well for me.

I am still anxious however. In what situations should I worry about my grigri not engaging, and/or what precautions should I take to make sure it is free to engage? So far, I have found no such situations. Does anyone else who uses a similar system have any suggestions, or precautions I should be taking to keep this system safe?

Note - I'm well aware of devices like the silent partner, etc..., as well as other systems. Please no "Well I use this other system," or "climb w/ a partner" posts. I like the gri-gri, and trust it. I just want to know what to look out for to keep this system safe.

Partner srwings

Aug 26, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Re: grigri toprope solo question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82367

There's also additional threads.

--Vance

Partner drector

Aug 26, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like the gri-gri, and trust it. I just want to know what to look out for to keep this system safe.

There seems to be a big contradiction here. If you trusted it then there would be reason to ask about keeping it safe. But I totally understand the concern. I only trust it 99% myself knowing that there's got to be things that can make it go wrong.

So I'll let you know what little I know having only used this system on about 10 different days of solo climbing. I have heard that in an unusual fall, there is a possible problem with catching the release lever on something and having that keep the device from locking.

That's all I've heard beyond the normal "GRIGRI is not made for rope solo climbing" concerns.

Dave

ricardol

Aug 26, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the grigri will catch most falls ..

if you are also using backup knots on a separate line, then you are being safe.

.. as long as the route doesn't traverse very much or do something else that is weird and could cause a nasty swing into a feature, this is enough.

as always, use common sense..

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook