Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rjavery10

Aug 26, 2005, 7:39 AM
Post #1 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

WANTED: African-American Climbers for Stock Photo Shoot
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I was recently approached by a stock photography agency to go to J Tree the weekend after Labor Day for a photo shoot of me and my friend leading some routes and general climbing shots.

They have asked me to find two african-american climbers for stock climbing photos aside from myself.

If you are african-american climber (must top-rope 5.7 or harder, leaders a plus), live near or in southern california, and are available to make $250 doing what you would be doing anyway on the weekend after Labor Day, PM me please.

Thanks,

Ryan

maxiter

Aug 26, 2005, 1:20 PM
Post #2 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Re: WANTED: African-American Climbers for Stock Photo Shoot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What if we are Haitian, Kenyan, or Gibonese? Or even French, English, or Canadian.

Bleah at political correctness.

thorne
Deleted

Aug 26, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #3 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What if we are Haitian, Kenyan, or Gibonese? Or even French, English, or Canadian.

Bleah at political correctness.

Maybe you could take that up with the agency doing the hiring.

Hey RJ,

Let me know if they ever need any handsome, middle-aged, white males for shoots in the Southeast. :wink:

shakylegs

Aug 26, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #4 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey RJ,

Let me know if they ever need any handsome, middle-aged, white males for shoots in the Southeast. :wink:

Why, do you know someone who fits that description?

u_will_die

Aug 26, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #5 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....yo yo yo i'm not black per se but i can strap a 40oz. and a gat to my harness and get my girlfriend pregnant before the send if you can't find an actual brother...

black people don't really climb they prefer the urban struggle to the vertical one. you don't really see to many climbers in rap videos come to think of it.

thinksinpictures

Aug 26, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #6 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, I was expecting a few people to respond ranting on political correctness and whatnot, but I wasn't expecting a full-on bigot. You're asshole of the day, congrats!

maxiter

Aug 26, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #7 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's 1 in every crowed.

krisp

Aug 26, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #8 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbl post oops

krisp

Aug 26, 2005, 6:52 PM
Post #9 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....yo yo... *snip* ...come to think of it.
Dont waste your time with this assbag. That was a pathetic troll. Don't give him/her the satisfaction of a reply. He/she dug up an ancient thread about fat people for the same purpose. If we ignore him, maybe he'll GO AWAY! :evil:

Partner coldclimb

Aug 26, 2005, 6:58 PM
Post #10 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow, I was expecting a few people to respond ranting on political correctness and whatnot, but I wasn't expecting a full-on bigot. You're asshole of the day, congrats!

Calm down dude, you have just been trolled. :wink:

But yeah, I'm with Maxiter. PC is dumb. Good luck finding your black guys though. I climb with one if you get desperate enough to buy airplane tickets.... :wink:

thinksinpictures

Aug 26, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #11 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trolled?!? I have no idea what you're talking about! :oops:

Edited in case it wasn't clear: [/sarcasm]

mowz

Aug 27, 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #12 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, besides the two Japanese climbers I see in the mags, I haven't really seen to many Asian-Americans or Pacific-Islander-Americans.

Do you need pics of a Chinese-American climber from the MidWest? I could use the money.

dwise

Aug 27, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #13 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fly me out and I'll be happy to be your token chocolate ropegun. Always wanted to go to Jtree.... 8^) (why don't they make these smiley faces in brown? Where's the NAACP when you need them....)

curt

Aug 27, 2005, 1:35 AM
Post #14 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Black climbers in America? The good one now works for Climbing magazine in Colorado, as the associate art director. You can reach him there. He answers to "Yo, Max" Hahahaha.

Curt

rjavery10

Aug 27, 2005, 8:17 AM
Post #15 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies. I will keep looking for serious takers. We need the shots for some african tourism stuff.

I will just hire some smoking hot black models and get them to climb some sick lookin 5.4. I think Tyra said she was available that weekend.

Peace,

Ryan

dutyje

Aug 27, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #16 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know two African-American climbers. One of them can, I'm sure, lead the routes you're looking to take shots on, and the other is a definite 5.8 top-roper. Does it matter that they're both from South Africa and they're white?

If I were to move to Africa, could I call myself an American-African? Would my descendants be called such as well? How about if I relocate to India, as one of my friends did to work with some of the outsoucing shops. Is he an American-Indian? Would his children be American-Indians as well? That could benefit them greatly if they were to apply for scholarships at universities back in the states.

krisp

Aug 27, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #17 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a good example of why it can be good to let Users change their thread title. It's 2005 bro, you can say "black climbers". You'll catch less flack for it.

dwise

Aug 27, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #18 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the replies. I will keep looking for serious takers. We need the shots for some african tourism stuff.

I will just hire some smoking hot black models and get them to climb some sick lookin 5.4. I think Tyra said she was available that weekend.

Peace,

Ryan

I AM serious! Fly me out and I'll lead, TR, take whippers, whatever! Heck I'll even dance a jig wearing a loincloth and a light coat of oil for a trip to Jtree!

slobmonster

Aug 27, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #19 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I were to move to Africa, could I call myself an American-African?
No.

The irony here is that with such a statement, you only reinforce the stereotypes regarding your own culture: racist white male southerner.

Good luck digging yourself out of this one...

dutyje

Aug 28, 2005, 4:01 PM
Post #20 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If I were to move to Africa, could I call myself an American-African?
No.

The irony here is that with such a statement, you only reinforce the stereotypes regarding your own culture: racist white male southerner.

Good luck digging yourself out of this one...

You are right that my post was worded in rather poor taste, as viewed by the masses. For starters, however, I don't consider myself a Southerner, as I was born and raised in the Midwest.

And the best man at my wedding (whose mother is white and whose father is black, and whose wife if black) would be very shocked to learn that I am such a racist. I guess growing up with friends of many races, and working every day with people of varied backgrounds, has made me rather comfortable expressing my opinions with respect to race and the treatment of race within our culture.

I knew that my post would generate the type of reaction that you had, but it helps reinforce the point I have maintained my whole life -- that frequently the problem lies in our interpretation of someone's intent or meaning.

Living where I do today, has helped me learn that there really are people with less tolerance for diversity. Another example of that is a horrible story I just read this morning about anti-gay demonstrators in Tennessee at the funerals of two soldiers killed in Iraq. I am unable to understand that type of intolerance because of the way I was raised.

As far as the original post, I actually like what they're trying to do because this sport is largely lacking in diversity. This is a good opportunity to elevate the awareness of the sport within the black community.

slobmonster

Aug 28, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post #21 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the clarification.

In reply to:
You are right that my post was worded in rather poor taste, as viewed by the masses.

Yup.

In reply to:
For starters, however, I don't consider myself a Southerner, as I was born and raised in the Midwest.... And the best man at my wedding... (etc.)

Ah. You're right, I have no way of knowing ahy of these things, nor your deeper reasons for reacting how you did. I only know what you put down for us all to read.

In reply to:
I guess growing up with friends of many races, and working every day with people of varied backgrounds, has made me rather comfortable expressing my opinions with respect to race and the treatment of race within our culture.

I'll admit something here, because this made me look inside for just a moment. I did not grow up in an area with much diversity; what there was was always acknowledged as "diversity." Though liberal, my dearth of exposure to other cultures perhaps makes me (somewhat ironically) stuck in my own mindset.

In reply to:
that frequently the problem lies in our interpretation of someone's intent or meaning.

Right you are.

Partner gamehendge

Aug 28, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #22 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, besides the two Japanese climbers I see in the mags, I haven't really seen to many Asian-Americans or Pacific-Islander-Americans.

Do you need pics of a Chinese-American climber from the MidWest? I could use the money.

There's quite a few strong Asian/Pacific-Islander-American climbers here in the Westcoast especially in Southern California. In fact, the owner of Madrock is even Korean I believe. Japan, Korea, and Thailand have big climbing communities.

toejam

Aug 28, 2005, 6:28 PM
Post #23 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for replying or I would have felt compelled to. If racist crap like that is going to be allowed past moderation on the forum, it demands a response that makes clear it is not acceptable to us. Minorities deal with enough abuse as it is, they shouldn't have to read it in a climbing forum.

dancesonrocks

Aug 28, 2005, 6:42 PM
Post #24 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Ryan,

If you're in the area, post your request up at some of the LA rock gyms or at the colleges, I'm sure you'll find some takers.

To those complaining about labels... why do you care whether or not the poster says "African American" or "Black"? If you try to force what you think of as the "proper term" on someone then aren't you doing what you complain the "PC" people are doing?

I've known white males with a great great grandfather (or even further back) who came over from Ireland. Sometimes they might say they were a "white man" or they might say they were "Irish" or "Irish American". Was that person being too PC?

dutyje

Aug 28, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #25 of 31 (5345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi Ryan,

If you're in the area, post your request up at some of the LA rock gyms or at the colleges, I'm sure you'll find some takers.

To those complaining about labels... why do you care whether or not the poster says "African American" or "Black"? If you try to force what you think of as the "proper term" on someone then aren't you doing what you complain the "PC" people are doing?

I've known white males with a great great grandfather (or even further back) who came over from Ireland. Sometimes they might say they were a "white man" or they might say they were "Irish" or "Irish American". Was that person being too PC?

The point I wanted to make with my first post in this thread is that I've always just thought of myself as a person. And I've always thought of everybody else as people.

The rest of it, in my opinion, has been excellent conversation (except for the obvious offensive troll near the beginning of the thread). The only real problem is that we haven't succeeded much in finding a subject for the photo shoot, and we have hijacked the thread (which I have been a large part of). To the OP, I apologize for that and I wish you luck in finding a partner or two for your search.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook