Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
does anyone else actually ENJOY gym climbing??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

arjunrattan

Aug 30, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #1 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

does anyone else actually ENJOY gym climbing??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cause I do!!!! call me a n00b or gymrat or watever, but i honestly love sport climbing inside, cause I find the route patterns and degree of overhang etc etc are pretty varied as compared to outside.( I mean how many outdoor super overhang 5.10s do you find?). I guess I just love climbbing upside down! :roll: :roll: Oh i'm leading about 5.10d - 11b.

As such I sometimes enjoy sport climbing at the gym more than outside, but bouldering is def wayyyyy more fun outside.

I suppose i'm going to get majorly thrashed by the hardass outdoorsmen(and women, but mostly men) on the site, but watever.

Anyone else feel the same way?? :roll: feel differently?? :roll:

Cheers,

- Arjun

p.s. my outdoor climbing has been mostly on the niagra escarpment in ontario. 5.10s mostly. Maybe thats a factor?? :?: :?:

fear

Aug 30, 2005, 4:27 AM
Post #2 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Re: does anyone else actually ENJOY gym climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.......( I mean how many outdoor super overhang 5.10s do you find?). .......

None... None at all. :roll:

-Fear....

collegekid

Aug 30, 2005, 4:30 AM
Post #3 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i do...especially after a morning of working various sized cracks at Mt. Woodson.

arjunrattan

Aug 30, 2005, 4:46 AM
Post #4 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Fear....

exactly my point!

I guess this was just a bit of a rant after i read this recently:

In reply to:
Rock Oasis can get very hot in summer time.
Grades at Joerockheads are tougher then at RO but people that work at JR and the whole gym SUCKS.

CLIMB OUTDOORS.

Good Luck NOOB :D

Partner rockrat511

Aug 30, 2005, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come climb outside with me and I'll show you horizontal roofs that go at 5.8 and up. You just didn't look hard enough. Afraid of a little hike?

kachoong

Aug 30, 2005, 4:55 AM
Post #6 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I mean how many outdoor super overhang 5.10s do you find? I guess I just love climbbing upside down! :roll: :roll:
There are plenty of very overhung routes around the world in the 5.10 range.... You obviously don't get out much....

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=29619

In reply to:
Oh i'm leading about 5.10d - 11b.
:boring: .... like we care

In reply to:
p.s. my outdoor climbing has been mostly on the niagra escarpment in ontario. 5.10s mostly. Maybe thats a factor?? :?: :?:
....maybe....

....btw... I do infact like to climb in the gym, but it's a way to keep fit and is only a part of my whole training regime.... outside is where it's at dude....

Partner philbox

Aug 30, 2005, 4:58 AM
Post #7 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HB can show you a 30 metre roof offwidth.

Partner philbox

Aug 30, 2005, 4:59 AM
Post #8 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Indoor Gyms.

firstmatetickles

Aug 30, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #9 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, climbing indoors is cool. So is climbing out doors. It all really matters where you live and what kinda free time you have. If you can make it outdoors to a good spot that's awesome. I like the fact that you can do a lot of routes at a gym on a weekday when there's no way you could climb out doors with that amount of free time. It also really depends on the gym and the people who climb there. There's a lot of gyms I wouldn't waste my time at.

Partner neuroshock

Aug 30, 2005, 6:43 AM
Post #10 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i say that climbing indoors can be fun, but outdoors is moreso.

In reply to:
I find the route patterns and degree of overhang etc etc are pretty varied as compared to outside.( I mean how many outdoor super overhang 5.10s do you find?).
troll? if you're serious, get off the computer and travel more.

In reply to:
I suppose i'm going to get majorly thrashed by the hardass outdoorsmen(and women, but mostly men)
ladies, he's asking for it. give 'em both barrels? :)

elepita

Aug 30, 2005, 9:47 AM
Post #11 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is that about mostly man??? and what is that about not finding overhanging 10s?? you do need to travel more....I think your perspective would change. Come to Europe, I will show you some overhanging limestone routes which you will not even be able to start...and some lady climbers who could kick your gym a%$&. You were asking for it right? you got it!

Partner coldclimb

Aug 30, 2005, 9:52 AM
Post #12 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Fear....

Yeah, not much at all. Except competitions. Gyms just aren't worth the money for me, anymore.

Especially since I can climb aid year-round! :wink:

damon99

Aug 30, 2005, 9:55 AM
Post #13 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gyms are good for me, because it doesnt require any hike, besides that you make from you car to the gym.. yes yes, i feel lazy sometimes.. but yes - outdoor - most deffinately the best. fresh air, exposure.. ehh.. i want to go climb now!

bigjonnyc

Aug 30, 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #14 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From a quick search at RedRiverClimbing.com:

Route Wall Moves Length Year

Standing Ovation 5.10d *** (S) The Arena - CLOSED Overhanging jug haul 70

Heard It On NPR 5.10d *** (S) Joe Ponder Branch Hollow Overhanging jug haul 100 2004

Opening Act 5.10d *** (S) The Arena - CLOSED Overhanging jug haul 70 2003

Gettin' Lucky In Kentucky 5.10b *** (S) Lower Tantroft Branch Hollow Overhanging jug haul 60 2004

Barenjager 5.10d ** (S) Joe Ponder Branch Hollow Overhanging jug haul 40 2004

Annie The Annihilator 5.10c *** (S) Lower Tantroft Branch Hollow Overhanging jug haul 40 2004

Sunbeam 5.10d *** (S) Sunbeam Buttress Overhanging jug haul 65 2005

Out of the Dark 5.10c ** (S) Sunbeam Buttress Overhanging jug haul 65 2005

Loosen Up 5.10b ** (S) Lady Slipper - Global Village Overhanging jug haul 50 1992

Beta Spewer 5.10b ** (S) Joe Ponder Branch Hollow Overhanging face 20 2005

azrockclimber

Aug 30, 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #15 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no

tradclimbinfool

Aug 30, 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #16 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do what you want, but I'd rather let my climbing ablility suffer than climb in a gym. Just bores the heck out of me.

arjunrattan

Aug 30, 2005, 1:51 PM
Post #17 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is that about mostly man??? and what is that about not finding overhanging 10s??

Oh believe me when I say that the mostly men thing...had nothing sexist to do with it. Its just that well...of the 12 or replies so far, theres a total of what 1 woman? Thats you! My point being that yea in my opinion theres alot more guys who are really serios about climbing than women. As such it would def be cool to have more women who could "kick my ass in climbing".

In reply to:
you do need to travel more....I think your perspective would change. Come to Europe, I will show you some overhanging limestone routes which you will not even be able to start...

Your right, I DO need to travel more. Unforunately i'm studying full time in university in a place where the escarpment is the only source of outdoor climbing. I've climbed at a few crags on the escarpment and most of the routes were the usual vertical-moderately overhang slabs.

Erope..WOW! I wish...my friend is in spain on vacation right now..having a blast! But yea I'd def want to check out different climbing spots outside ontario. Maybe when I graduate.

In reply to:
and some lady climbers who could kick your gym a%$&. You were asking for it right? you got it!

SOME??? I know LOTS...and they are are right there at my gym!!

arjunrattan

Aug 30, 2005, 1:59 PM
Post #18 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do what you want, but I'd rather let my climbing ablility suffer than climb in a gym. Just bores the heck out of me.

How I ask?? how can you not ENJOY climbing whether its inside or out??

Or maybe your just in it for the sense of achievement , seeing beatiful landscapes, the adventure etcc etc...everything but the actual movement of climbing??

Then again I climb only sport...trad doesnt appeal to me..YET..quite frankly trad kinda freaks me out..I got the jitters just seconding an eay trad climb! :? :?

Partner j_ung

Aug 30, 2005, 2:21 PM
Post #19 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know of several very steep 10s.

That said, I enjoy climbing in a gym quite a bit, but for slightly different reasons that I enjoy climbing outside. My preferences are for sport and trad, but I've logged a little (very little) time in aiders, on boulders and in snowy high places, too. I'm thankful for any time I get climbing. If it's inside, hey great. I'll make the best of it and have a swell time.

kyote321

Aug 30, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #20 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, but i climb outdoors to stay motivated to train for the gym. and vice vera. sometimes it difficult to take the stategically placed plastic bits seriously.

overlord

Aug 30, 2005, 2:52 PM
Post #21 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i do. but i enjoy real rock even more.

Partner cracklover

Aug 30, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #22 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure, I like climbing in the gym.

I like climbing rocks whether they're big, little, fake, part of a building, whatever.

But if you think that the gym is more varied than outside, that simply speaks to the fact that you haven't seen much outside. Mind you - travelling for climbing *is* a lot harder than just driving to the local gym. But if variety turns you on (as it does me) than the effort is well worth it.

GO

mother_sheep

Aug 30, 2005, 2:55 PM
Post #23 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the sun is shining and its over 40 degrees outside, I don't enjoy it. I go to the gym at lunch during the work week and in those cases I do like it. It gives me a chance to get a good workout and see some of my climbing buddies that I only see at the gym. Plus, it gives me the chance to climb harder in a very controled environment, even though I don't particularly relate gym climbing to outdoor climbing at all. But you feed the rat any way that you can, right?

dingus

Aug 30, 2005, 3:01 PM
Post #24 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were a painter I would want to be able to paint in many styles, using many techniques. I would most likely specialize in some forms, and shy away from others. But I would want to dabble in them all, take their measure and decide if they were for me.

I do not 'enjoy' gym climbing and that is a fact. That isn't to say I haven't had fun in gyms, I have. Its not to say I dislike gyms, I don't. And I don't think I have an overly antagonistic view of gym climbers. I simply prefer to climb outside. Why?

Cuz I'm a guy and I have blood in my veins and testerone in my balls goddamnit, yee hah!

You can bet half your ass that's part of it. Left cheek OR right!

But too, its more complicated. Tony Yaniro is famous for establishing the Grand Illusion on Sugarloaf in the late 70's, the worlds fiorst 13 if memory serves. Certainly America's anyway. Now old Tony is a controversial sort, but I don't want to get into that.

Tony was at the leading edge, and in fact may HAVE BEEN the actual leading edge that pushed us into our modern era of gym climbing. He built a crack machine to stimulate the Grand Illusion and he practiced like a madman on that thing. When he got to where he could do it on the machine without fail, he went out and sent the route.

Now of course he could have simply stayed on the crack machine and pulled some of the most legendary moves ever pumped by a human. Who would have cared???

I have also repeatedly hurt myself climbing in gyms. I don't like when my training time deep sixes my recreation time, that sucks BIG TIME.

Gyms are great for creating facsimilies of the real thing. But a fax is a fax, and that's a fact. Yes, you can create the perfect series of moves in the gym, at whatever grade you wish.

But outside? You gotta take what mother nature gives, (or take up the bosch and chisel). I really don't have the words to describe the incredible joy of discovering an area, a cliff, a route, envisioning how it might be climbed, and then going up and doing it.

Lots of routes will have bogus sections. Some of them will just plain suck. But when you do uncover a true gem, it seems very much like the diamond cutter... you have a rough stone (idea) of where the climb will lead. But you don't really begin to understand the true beauty of the stone (route) until you start cutting (climbing). The jewel of the route doesn't reveal herself until you are done.

In the gym, by contrast, you are clinging to clumps of lifeless carbon, arranged by someone else, making dance steps on a vertical floor.

But what do I know? Gyms are cool brough.

DMT

ps. The thing I dislike intensely about gyms is: they have RULES!

IN ROCK CLIMBING??? RULES??? I don't think so...

Partner cracklover

Aug 30, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #25 of 89 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
{plenty of good impassioned writing about climbing outside}

I concur, but Dingus, it's all for naught. The original poster already said he doesn't like trad climbing. !!!

I wouldn't hold that against him though.

As a climber, he's a wee babe. It's like saying mother's milk is the best - and solid food isn't really his thing. (And by solid food, he means the only food he's tasted - the pre-processed stuff that comes out of the little jars). Meanwhile, you're saying that filet minon is a wonderful thing.

Maybe as he gets into it, he'll still like milk the best, but maybe not. I sense that he's curious about what's out there, though - which is part of why he created this thread.

So good for you, Dingus, for painting a picture that may inspire, even if it's completely foreign for now.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook